Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Missing installer files after a clean install
    I had this error while doing a clean install after making a bootable usb (following YouTube instructions) and trying many of the common solitutions. Installing High Sierra 10.13.3 I have a 2012 MacBook Pro

After restarting a number of times with no success, I did the following:

1. Held down Command+R on boot to go into recovery mode.
    2. Started the Disk Utility in Recovery Mode and mounted the boot disk. The Disk Utility prompted me for a password for the boot disk.
    4. Exited the disk utility, and the recovery program. When it prompted me to select a boot disk, I was able to select the system boot disk and restart.

After the restarting cycle, I get a white screen with a grey ďNo symbolĒ (circle with a line through it). What does mean? What did I do? Iím fairly new to the world of macs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    The prohibited circle means your Mac can't find system files to boot from. Try re-installing.

Thank you for your response. Should I reinstall from the usb or from the disk Utility?

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Shouldn't have to reinstall via USB...since the OS is a free download. I would try the Disk Utility route first. Who knows...maybe the bootable USB installer has issues.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Tried installing from the disk Utility, selected Macintosh HD to install to. I get a message saying it canít install because the volume is being decrypted.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitbox View Post
    Tried installing from the disk Utility, selected Macintosh HD to install to. I get a message saying it can’t install because the volume is being decrypted.
    I think we may need more info on this computer. If it has been yours for a while...or if it's a "new to you" used computer. And...if the drive was encrypted previously & it needs to be decrypted now...that is a wrinkle (which should have showed up during the USB OS install.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I think we may need more info on this computer. If it has been yours for a while...or if it's a "new to you" used computer. And...if the drive was encrypted previously & it needs to be decrypted now...that is a wrinkle (which should have showed up during the USB OS install.

- Nick
    I recently bought it used. I donít have any data stored on the laptop. When I got it home and opened it up it was sitting at the os install screen. Proceeded to install and everything went fine. After installation it said that it needed to DL and install some more updates. I approved it to do so and restart after installation of updates. Thatís when I got a the ďmissing install filesĒ alert. I then booted into safe mode...I think...and made a bootable installer usb. Proceeded to install using the usb and ultimately here I am. As far as the encryption goes, I donít know if it was or not.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitbox View Post
    I recently bought it used.
    This is the "wild card" here. Since you purchased it recently...you may or may not have much of an idea how the previous owner had things set up. If the internal storage was encrpted previously...the first thing I would do is un-encrypt it. If you don't have the password to un-encrypt it...and can't get it. Then this is a perfect time to install a new hard drive or SSD.

- Nick

I do have the password as I set it up during the initial install. Where/how do I un-encrypt?
    Last edited by Schitbox; 02-24-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thread Information