Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    High Skierra.....grrrrr

Your Mac's Specs
    27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
    High Skierra.....grrrrr
    Well...I got tired of all of the reminders that High Sierra was available, so I gave in. I made a CCC back up immediately prior to then install. Since I had a fresh back up, I just installed from the App Store. When the install was done and it went thru the reboot, it took forever for the screen to come up. The dock was there, but it took some time fore the bar at the top of the screen to appear. I checked About this Mac, and to my surprise it showed El Capitan...not High Sierra. I shut it down and turned it back on...same thing. On the next attempt, I noticed the external HD that had my back up was flashing furiously. I checked About my Mac again, and it showed my External drive as the boot drive. Shut it down...again...unplugged the external drive and turned it on again. I get the chime, a brief white/gray screen, then the Apple and status bar. Screen goes black with the mouse in the upper left hand corner. Plugged the external back in and checked the disc utility. My SSD and external drives both show up.

Hind sight his 20/20...I should have made a bootable usb...Where do I go from here...

As always...thanks for your help.

High Skierra.....grrrrr
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Boot the system by holding down Option key while you power on. Select your internal drive to boot. Once done, open system preferences. Go to Startup Disk and select your internal drive as the default boot drive.
    Jake

High Skierra.....grrrrr

Your Mac's Specs
    Well...that wasn't entirely successful. I held down the Option key and pressed the On button....chose the internal drive... Chime, white/gray screen, status bar at about 1/3. Screen goes white/gray and status bar resumes at about 2/3 then stalls. I let it sit for about 30 minutes...

High Skierra.....grrrrr
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Boot to your CCC backup drive, enter CCC from that drive, and then clone the backup over your iMac internal drive. When that's finished, reboot to your iMac internal hard drive, eject the CCC drive and then start over to download and install High Sierra (if desired).

I've had to do that same recovery several times with various Macs that I owned. As long as your CCC clone is bootable and complete, you should have no problem recovering.

High Skierra.....grrrrr

Your Mac's Specs
    IK'll try it..thanks

High Skierra.....grrrrr

Your Mac's Specs
    After messing around with it for awhile, I finally got the SSD to work after a restore. Now I just have to figure out how to get High Sierra installer on the thumb drive. I did it with El Capitan, but that was some time ago. I've d/l DiscMakerX for High Sierra...but a little gun shy.

High Skierra.....grrrrr
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, macOS X.15.3,.
    Last edited by harryb2448; 02-16-2018 at 11:39 PM.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

High Skierra.....grrrrr

Your Mac's Specs
    I wish this thing would cut me a break. Disk maker X 7...all i get is an error message...I've tried several different thumb drives...same results.

High Skierra.....grrrrr
    Your Mac's Specs
    Instead of using Disk Maker X 7, try using the "Install Disk Creater.app" which in my opinion works better. Make sure you have a good installer download or neither program will work right.

High Skierra.....grrrrr

Your Mac's Specs
    I tried Install Disk Creater after I made my last post...it starts, then freezes at 21 minutes remaining. I'll try it again and see what happens.

High Skierra.....grrrrr
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I will always recommend this, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372, as the easiest way to create a bootable USB macOS installer.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

High Skierra.....grrrrr
    Your Mac's Specs
    I also like using Terminal to create a bootable installer, however, most folks do not like using that method. I will simply say... use whatever method that works for you and are comfortable with.

High Skierra.....grrrrr
    I tried Install Disk Creater after I made my last post...
    Why even bother as your main goal as I read things was just to get rid of the High Sierra nagging. Just forget trying to install it etc.

Instead, just boot from your CCC clone drive and use CCC to clone back to your normal internal and then set it as your boot drive.

If you still get the HS nagging, then just download it but don't let it run and move the installer to some other folder on you drive and carry on in peace.

PS: There are other methods to stop the HS Update nag you should be able to find and try on the 'net with a web search.

- Patrick
    ======

High Skierra.....grrrrr

Your Mac's Specs
    If you had read post #7, you'd have seen that my SSD is back as the boot drive. Not all of us eat, sleep, breath Mac's and are a little gun shy messing with a major component/function of our machines. I got tired of seeing the reminder pop up every day and decided to take the plunge.

Thanks for everyones help...I'll get it figured out.

High Skierra.....grrrrr
    Not all of us eat, sleep, breath Mac's and are a little gun shy messing with a major component/function of our machines. I got tired of seeing the reminder pop up every day and decided to take the plunge.

That's why something like a Google or Bing web search can be so useful, with a quick search, the answer is often readily available.

And especially useful for those who don't "eat, sleep, breath Mac's" and those who don't like messing around, and shouldn't anyway. You're quite correct.

Anyway, just a constructive suggestion that can often be helpful and in a short length of time to find an answer.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information