Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Jumping Back to an older OS
    Hi all...

Thanks for being kind and interested enough to answer all of these questions on here!

I just bought an older MacBook Pro, circa early 2009. I've never owned a MacBook before.

Upon starting it up, I updated it to El Capitan, which was the last operating system that this MacBook seemed to be compatible with, without workarounds.

It turns out, that some older software that needs to run on this thing will only run through Mountain Lion or Mavericks, but not El Capitan.

So... ,

- is it true that if I simply use the utility on the MacBook to wipe the machine clean, it will likely prompt me to load the latest OS and get me right back where I am now?

–how can I load older operating systems on this macBook, and where can I find installers? Apple website doesn't seem to have links for older OS systems, prior to about El Capitan?

Any help you can give me an this would be greatly appreciated!

:-)

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
    It turns out, that some older software that needs to run on this thing will only run through Mountain Lion or Mavericks, but not El Capitan.

Apple website doesn't seem to have links for older OS systems, prior to about El Capitan?
    Here's the link to purchase Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D...84443a7fc07c2e

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thank you, Nick.

So, the only available OS that I can get, minus the original that came with the computer, is a recent modern OS, or this ML link? No way to purchase any other OS X?

Did you find this link on the Apple site, because it points to the App Store, and I cannot find anything about it on the App Store, without going through your link.

Will mountain lion start to bottom out shortly and be useless for anything else, considering that most software will likely not be able to operate? I heard today that I may be able to get my software to run on El Capitan if I upgrade the RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB. Is that a worthy upgrade, as compared to finding a matching OS?

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Will mountain lion start to bottom out shortly and be useless for anything else, considering that most software will likely not be able to operate?
    What you may not realize is...Mountain Lion is basically bottomed out already. I provided the link to Mountain Lion because it is still available (may not be for long)...and because you mentioned in your first post that it could work for you.

I heard today that I may be able to get my software to run on El Capitan if I upgrade the RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB. Is that a worthy upgrade, as compared to finding a matching OS?
    The newer the OS you can run the better. You initially said El Capitan wouldn't work. Not sure what you've been reading...but minimum hardware requirements for El Capitan is only 2gig of RAM. If the software you need to use requires an older OS version...installing El Capitan will not help...regardless of how much installed RAM there is.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

some older software that needs to run on this thing will only run through Mountain Lion or Mavericks, but not El Capitan.

Alternatively, why not let us know what some of this older software that needs to run for you is, and their may be various options you could do or use.

And I guess there was no backup made before installing El Capitan you could use and boot from or reinstall whatever OS X version it was????

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information