Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Reset Display Settings? (or something?)
    Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before. Did a search but couldn't find exactly what I'm dealing with.

Little bit of a backstory here: I had a MBP and a Mac Mini, and within weeks of each other the HDD in the Mini went out (it was a Seagate, go figure) and the MBP, which is from '09, was having a couple other non-HD-related failures.

My recourse was to clone the MPB hard drive to the replacement SSD for the Mini, and only use the Mini from now on. Everything went smoothly; the computer works fantastically in every conceivable way, except one: Display.

000 display sc.jpg

This is what I see when I click the monitor icon in the menu bar, calling my monitor a projector, and using it as a 'separate display'. My resolution options are also drastically reduced:

000 display prefs copy.jpg

As you might be able to see, my resolution is a little stretched. Everything looks a little off. There are fewer options for resolutions, and I can't use the underscan option anymore.

All that said, my question is this: Is this a symptom of moving a hard drive from a MBP to a Mini? If it is, is there a way to reset the display settings to my monitor operates like it once did?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by marconix; 01-06-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot to say thanks!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Welcome to our forums. Before I answer... be sure to read the Forum Announcements about these forums shutting down in the near future.

It appears you have your monitor set for "scaled" which means you're using a lower resolution than native for the display. The resolution of the display has nothing to do with moving the hard drive to your Mini. Try running the Samsung at its native resolution. If you're still getting stretching or overscan, then it might be time for a newer monitor.

Also, I'm not sure why the Samsung is being referred to as a projector? Is it in fact a projector and you're using it to project on to a larger screen?

Oh geez, I didnít see that! Bummer. Iíve been coming here for answers for years. Always found them, hence my lack of posts. Welp, I guess Iíll take my query to another place! Thanks for your time. 🙂

Thanks in advance!

We don't know all your details and situation, but you cold try using the SwitchResX.app and see it can improve things, and it may still provide a good free trial use like it used to:
    http://www.madrau.com

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by marconix View Post
    Oh geez, I didn’t see that! Bummer. I’ve been coming here for answers for years. Always found them, hence my lack of posts. Welp, I guess I’ll take my query to another place! Thanks for your time. 
    There are efforts going on to create a new site. for info see the "short story" link in my signature.
    ďHard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.Ē
    Kevin Durant

@marconix

Welp, I guess I’ll take my query to another place! Thanks for your time. ��
    Hey marconix, this forum ain't dead yet. And it's still alive and kicking with lots of good advice.

PS: And I'd do some checking and maybe choose a different and higher res 27" display for better results and a cheaper price. That display seems to be designed for fast gamers.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information