Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Upgrading from OS X 10.6.8
    I have an older iMac which is running 10.6.8, is it possible for me to upgrade to The latest OS version?

If so, what steps will I need to follow for upgrading?

Some of the apps I want to install require at least 10.10 or more recent versions.

What does older iMac mean? If it is post 2009, then you can upgrade to High Sierra. You should generally upgrade the memory on your machine to max for the newer versions of OS X/macOS to avoid issues.

The steps for the upgrade are first and foremost to create a good (working) backup of your current system. A Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper backup is best since it is a bootable version that can be restored to get back what you currently are running. A purely data/app backup is second best.

Then, open the App Store app and High Sierra will likely be seen on the top banner, if not, then either search for it or check the Top Free Charts where it is visible.

From here, you have two options; 1) download the installer and begin the installation immediately which will upgrade your machine from Snow Leopard to High Sierra keeping all of your application/data/configuration in tact. 2) download the installer and create a USB installer using DiskmakerX with it and then boot into it, erase the HD and do a clean installation and then add back any apps/data from your backup.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Apologies, I’m running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. It’s an early 2008 Mac. When I try to upgrade to High Sierra, I get an error ‘This version of macOS 10.13.2 cannot be installed on this computer. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the model year, your iMac can go up to OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Please find the instructions on getting access to that here. Now since you are already at Yosemite, you should be fine with compatibility for most apps. So unless there is absolutely a need, I would avoid upgrading your machine. You've gotten 10 years of use out of it, you might want to start thinking about upgrading.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Thank you for the model year, your iMac can go up to OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Please find the instructions on getting access to that here. Now since you are already at Yosemite, you should be fine with compatibility for most apps. So unless there is absolutely a need, I would avoid upgrading your machine. You've gotten 10 years of use out of it, you might want to start thinking about upgrading.
    Yes, I agree itís time to upgrade. Is It possible for me to use this Macís monitor with a Mac Mini?

Yes, you can use the iMac in Target Display Mode to be used with a Mac Mini. However, you might find it better to possibly sell off the old iMac (and get whatever you get) and put it toward a Mac Mini and newer display.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Yes, you can use the iMac in Target Display Mode to be used with a Mac Mini. However, you might find it better to possibly sell off the old iMac (and get whatever you get) and put it toward a Mac Mini and newer display.
    Yes, youíre right. Iíll take your advice instead of trying to salvage this Mac.

Thread Information