Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: USB HFS or APFS

USB HFS or APFS
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacOS HiSierra MacBookPro ( Retina,15 inches Late 2013 Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i7. Memory 16GB,
    USB HFS or APFS
    I was wondering and thought to ask a pro, Since I installed High Sierra yesterday and now I have APFS file system and I also have 32 GB USB thumb Drive and see its still HFS and its working ok. Should I formatted USB to APFS, if so do I fill in. blank, Journal and UUID or is it other. Now about hard drive ( SSD ) is it other than Journal and UUID?
    Thank You
    Thanks in Advance
    Ron

USB HFS or APFS
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    Ron if you are going to use the thumb drive exclusively with HS, would suggest yes. Here is a link about formatting external hard drives to APFS, so thumb drives would be the same:-

https://www.pocket-lint.com/laptops/...es-to-apfs-too
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

USB HFS or APFS
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacOS HiSierra MacBookPro ( Retina,15 inches Late 2013 Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i7. Memory 16GB,
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Ron if you are going to use the thumb drive exclusively with HS, would suggest yes. Here is a link about formatting external hard drives to APFS, so thumb drives would be the same:-

Perfect, I google and got Youtube and one is not captioned, since I am deaf thats out and found another one with captioned but damn its too fast, hard to follow. The one u send is perfect. Thank you
    Thanks in Advance
    Ron

USB HFS or APFS
    Your Mac's Specs
    My pleasure mate.

Remember with forums closing Sunday, send email to Dennis (dtravis) to remain in contact when the admins try to set up a new forum.

USB HFS or APFS
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittoman1 View Post
    I was wondering and thought to ask a pro, Since I installed High Sierra yesterday and now I have APFS file system and I also have 32 GB USB thumb Drive and see its still HFS and its working ok. Should I formatted USB to APFS, if so do I fill in. blank, Journal and UUID or is it other. Now about hard drive ( SSD ) is it other than Journal and UUID?
    Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post

Hi Guys - I have about a half dozen SanDisk USB flash drives formatted as 'Mac OS Extended' & an external La Cie SSD (same format) used as an additional backup to my 'personal files' on my MBPro - NOW, I'll keep the flash drives as is because I do use them on my iMac w/ a fusion drive that is still on Sierra (if converted, the iMac could not read them, so a point to remember).

Well, I plugged both of the SanDisk drives into the MBPro and opened Disk Utility, then hit the 'Edit' menu item (first pic below) - the 'Convert to APFS' was grayed out; however, when I plugged in my La Cie SSD drive, the 'edit' option was available, interesting (second pic) - SO, these external USB drives may be manufacturer dependent relative to Disk Utility and APFS conversion, don't know? So, visiting the SanDisk Website, directions are given on the link for the conversion of their USB flash drives - take a look if interested; basically, the drives need to be first erased and then reformatted as APFS, thus a need to backup the information on the soon to be erased drive(s) - not sure if that is also true of other flash drive makers? Dave
    SH1.png
    SH2.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

USB HFS or APFS
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hi Guys - I have about a half dozen SanDisk USB flash drives formatted as 'Mac OS Extended' & an external La Cie SSD (same format) used as an additional backup to my 'personal files' on my MBPro - NOW, I'll keep the flash drives as is because I do use them on my iMac w/ a fusion drive that is still on Sierra (if converted, the iMac could not read them, so a point to remember).

Well, I plugged both of the SanDisk drives into the MBPro and opened Disk Utility, then hit the 'Edit' menu item (first pic below) - the 'Convert to APFS' was grayed out; however, when I plugged in my La Cie SSD drive, the 'edit' option was available, interesting (second pic) - SO, these external USB drives may be manufacturer dependent relative to Disk Utility and APFS conversion, don't know? So, visiting the SanDisk Website, directions are given on the link for the conversion of their USB flash drives - take a look if interested; basically, the drives need to be first erased and then reformatted as APFS, thus a need to backup the information on the soon to be erased drive(s) - not sure if that is also true of other flash drive makers? Dave
    SH1.png
    SH2.png
    About converting drive to APFS, Go down and Look at this comments say not to Convert to APFS,

Thanks in Advance
    Ron

USB HFS or APFS
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittoman1 View Post
    About converting drive to APFS, Go down and Look at this comments say not to Convert to APFS,

Thanks Ron - already aware of the issue as pointed out in my previous comments - re-quoted above in bold; SO, for those reading this thread, please understand that if you convert your USB flash drives to APFS, then the device cannot be read on a Mac OS Extended drive, such as my iMac - Dave
    Last edited by RadDave; 12-27-2017 at 12:16 AM.
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

USB HFS or APFS
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    For anyone on macOS High Sierra, or contemplating upgrading:

Just remember that Time Machine will only work with Drives formatted HFS+ (OS X Extended (Journaled). TM cannot be used with a Drive formatted APFS.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...ne-mh15139/mac
    https://www.macworld.com/article/324...-not-good.html

If anyone accidentally formats a TM backup as APFS, this article tells you how to copy your TM backup back to a HFS+ Hard Drive: https://www.macworld.com/article/312...kup-drive.html

Ian
    Ian

USB HFS or APFS
    Your Mac's Specs
    Another reason to abadon TM in favour of cloning IMHO.

Thread Information