Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Question Mac w/Yosemite causing permissions issues on remote Seagate NAS
    Hi all,
    Not being a Mac expert (I just get by - I'm certified Unix/Linux) I have a situation that I cannot seem to resolve. I'm hoping some of you guru's can provide some suggestions, advice or solutions.
    I have a client with a windows internal network and only ONE Mac computer. All are on the same network and on that network is a Seagate NAS running NASOS4.
    This has been working just fine for a year. The NAS has three folders, a general Public one and two private ones. The windows based computers can access the NAS just fine.
    As does the Mac. However, recently when a shared file on the NAS is opened by the Mac and updated, from that point on anyone else who has access to the Public folder cannot open the subject file as Windows claims that they do not have permissions to do so.
    Of course, the Mac can still access it.

I've reviewed the permissions setting on the NAS and the Public folder literally has none. Everyone has read+write permissions.
    On the Mac when I use Finder to locate the file and look at its permissions it shows "Root" has read+write and Everyone has "No Access".
    Even logged on as root when I attempt to change the permissions I see the message "Insufficient Permissions".

The point is I cannot see/find where this control is improperly set. Remember, it was working just fine until less than a week ago.

I know the Mac is downlevel (Yosemite) so is it worth the effort to upgrade it? Would that resolve this issue?

Anyone else ever see this before and if so what might have been done to resolve this? This situation is causing quite a havoc to my client's production in this busy season.

Ideas, pointers, suggestions, anything GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

Mac w/Yosemite causing permissions issues on remote Seagate NAS

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    Can you show us the output - for a file with this problem - with this command?
    ls -aleO

(I suspect it's a matter of group membership)

Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    Can you show us the output - for a file with this problem - with this command?
    ls -aleO

(I suspect it's a matter of group membership)
    Thank you for your reply. Yesterday I upgraded the Mac to High Sierra 10.13.2 and `voila, problem went away.

I had read somewhere while researching that this was an issue experienced by a fair number of Mac users and Apple "corrected" it in the latest upgrade.

Thread Information