Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    High Sierra does not install on SSD
    After following instructions on here to use an SSD as my boot drive, I cloned the Mac to it and all went well until High Sierra appeared. This OS will not install on the SSD sending the drive into recovery mode. Iíve tried all options to recover the drive with no luck. I now canít boot to the drive but can access it through the Mac and itís listed as just for Time Machine back ups. Pressing Options on start up shows 4 icons 3 for the SSD none of which allows me to boot into it. Is there a way out of this or am I now stuck with the drive just for back up?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    If I am understanding you correctly - you bought a new SSD drive and cloned it using your old drive. What did you use to clone it?

I have done exactly what I think you wanted to do. I needed to get a larger SSD so I purchased a 1TB SSD and cloned it from my 500GB SSD main drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. I then made sure the clone worked by starting up with it which worked perfect. At that point I downloaded onto the new SSD High Sierra and installed it. Worked perfect.

If you used Time Machine to do the cloning that is your problem. TM does not make a bootable drive out of the new drive. You need to use an app like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Neither are free but the cost is worth it. I use CCC to make regular backups of my main drives and love it, but either app work well. Your SSD should still be useable just go into Disk Utility and reformat it then clone it.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    What model and year Mac are you attempting to do this on?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner

5k 27Ē 2017 model

The SSD as I stated booted and worked well until I tried to update to High Sierra I got a message saying the drive was incompatible with HS It then went into recovery mode
    Using Command+r I tried to recover it this is when it turned into a Time Machine back up. I knew nothing about trying to clone with TM

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Did you run a First Aid check on the SSD using Disk Utility? You may have a hardware problem with the SSD. SSDs can fail suddenly and without any warning. There is no reason why your iMac should not be able to run High Sierra. If there is a problem with the SSD, take the machine to Apple and have them check it out. Your iMac should still be under warranty.

Did you run a First Aid check on the SSD using Disk Utility? You may have a hardware problem with the SSD.

+1. And make note of any details if it shows.

Is there any sign of the new SSD being supported as a "Startup Drive"???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    Just curious - is this new SSD mounted internally or externally? Did your mac ever boot to the new SSD with any other version of OS X? Your first post seems to indicated the new SSD did boot to an older version of OS X. If so what version was it?

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Yes and it came up with no errors.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Did you run a First Aid check on the SSD using Disk Utility? You may have a hardware problem with the SSD. SSDs can fail suddenly and without any warning. There is no reason why your iMac should not be able to run High Sierra. If there is a problem with the SSD, take the machine to Apple and have them check it out. Your iMac should still be under warranty.

Not now but was my start up drive before this error.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    +1. And make note of any details if it shows.

Is there any sign of the new SSD being supported as a "Startup Drive"???

- Patrick
    ======

Mounted in an external enclosure and yes it did to whatever was the previous version before High Sierra, it was cloned from the IMac drive.
    Just to make things clear I updated the IMac drive to HS afterwards and that works okay.

Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    Just curious - is this new SSD mounted internally or externally? Did your mac ever boot to the new SSD with any other version of OS X? Your first post seems to indicated the new SSD did boot to an older version of OS X. If so what version was it?

Lisa

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    You should format the drive using Disk Utility as APFS, then attempt to do a clean install of High Sierra, to test the drive.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Yes I agree formatting appears the only alternative. I am baffled why this happened in the first place though after following instructions to make it the boot drive with the correct file system.

Not now but was my start up drive before this error.
    I'm not clear on this as to whether the volume NOW is and/or can be selected and shows as a bootable startup volume option. And if so, does it work as a bootable drive when selected?

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information