Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No longer shows as bootable drive it appears as a time machine back up and as a recoverable drive.
    Obviously neither of which are bootable. Seems I’m going around in circles here, yes it was bootable but no it is now not. I intend to format the drive and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I'm not clear on this as to whether the volume NOW is and/or can be selected and shows as a bootable startup volume option. And if so, does it work as a bootable drive when selected?

- Patrick
    ======

So the latest instalment of my dilemma is this:-
    I formatted the said drive using APFS as suggested which is okay and now shows as containing no data and APFS file system. Then I try to install High Sierra but it doesnít let me getting a message saying follow the instructions here https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/apfsfusion
    As far as I can make out although didnít read it all is a way of returning the drive to the previous file system and is a long convoluted method.
    So once again Iím lost.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    You should format the drive using Disk Utility as APFS, then attempt to do a clean install of High Sierra, to test the drive.

High Sierra does not install on SSD
    Then I try to install High Sierra but it doesnít let me getting a message saying follow the instructions here https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/apfsfusion
    Why are you even using and following the directions to use with a macOS BETA installation?????

Where and how did you get the copy of the High Sierra installer you're attempting to install??

- Patrick
    ======

Because that’s the message that comes up when I try and install HS on the drive.
    I downloaded it from the Apple App Store via the IMac HS drive.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Why are you even using and following the directions to use with a macOS BETA installation?????

Where and how did you get the copy of the High Sierra installer you're attempting to install??

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by colinwebb View Post
    Because that’s the message that comes up when I try and install HS on the drive.
    I downloaded it from the Apple App Store via the IMac HS drive.

I would seem that they haven't cleaned up some of their beta help pages or they figure the instructions are still good enough. Seems a bit sloppy to me however, but what's new…???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I'm wondering if Colin had previously downloaded or was participating in the High Sierra open beta program? It's almost as if his Apple ID is still stuck on the beta?

No I haven’t and to be honest it’s driving me mad, never had problems like this with Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I'm wondering if Colin had previously downloaded or was participating in the High Sierra open beta program? It's almost as if his Apple ID is still stuck on the beta?

Quote Originally Posted by colinwebb View Post
    No I haven’t and to be honest it’s driving me mad, never had problems like this with Windows 10.

After some more web searching I sure have sympathies for Colin and others and it doesn't seem to be the finest Apple hour for many having problems installing High Sierra.

Just a quick search shows too many hits and with no definitive solutions:
    High Sierra won't install on SSD
    https://www.google.ca/search?client=...C8rM8gfG87eIDQ

One problem area that does show up, is problems with some third party SSD drives.

I'm wondering what brand/model Colin is attempting to use???

But even knowing that may not help find a solution. Not a good thing for many thanks Apple!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Can you install Sierra on the external SSD? Then do the upgrade to High Sierra?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information