Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Mac mini running High Sierra won't boot.
    I think I caused the problem while ( blindly ) following some advice on another forum. The problem was to get Photos app to scan for faces. The advice I followed said---- "what eventually worked was launching Activity Monitor. Under the Energy tab there should be a process called Photos Agent. I clicked the arrow to expand the process and there were more sub-processes (3 in my case) that started with "com.apple". I force quit those and then headed over to the CPU tab and force quit one more process also called Photos Agent." Now when I power on I get the white apple and progress bar. The progress bar does slowly reach the end of it's journey and nothing further happens.--- I have verified and repaired my hard drive in Disk Utility. No problems noted. I have run the Apple Hardware Test. No problems noted. I have reset the NVRAM. I have reset the System Management Controller. I have powered off and unplugged. I suspect that quitting the 3 or 4 ?? com.apple processes might be the problem but of course I wasn't smart enough to record their names! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    First thing to try is Safe mode. power on, then immediately hold down “shift” until you get to the login screen, or your desktop.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    System processes that are quit in Activity Monitor will start up again after rebooting the machine. So that should not be the reason your machine won't boot properly. What else did you mess with?

Thanks, ferrarr, but the computer won't boot into safe mode either. The progress bar terminates and I am left with a black screen. If it should next time open in safe mode; What next?

Thank you, chscag. It's good to know that quitting processes in Activity Monitor is not a fatal error. The only other thing I can think of that might be out of the ordinary was importing about 4000 images in to Photos. The catalogue is on the mac mini but the images remain on an external drive. I do have Time Machine back ups if that is the next logical step but having zero experience with it my feet are a little cold. Suggestions???

Your Mac's Specs
    If the machine won't boot there's no way that you can restore with Time Machine or anything else. I suspect that your hard drive in the Mini may have failed at the same time all the other things were going on. Sometimes they fail without warning but usually it's more gradual. Do you have another Mac that you can try to use for Target Disk Mode? Or if you have a bootable external hard drive with macOS, you can try to boot the Mini with that. It's possible that the importation of those 4000 images may have been responsible for the hard drive problems. Of course we really don't know if it is the hard drive that failed which is why you need to test with an external bootable hard drive or use Target Disk Mode.

Thanks again, chscag. With my back up disk attached and powered on I tried an option-start on the mini but no joy. In fact I didn't even see the usual apple and progress bar image that I usually see on start up. My monitor ( Asus PA249 ) just told me "no signal". I am, however, able to see the Mini in target disk mode attached to my older Mac Pro ( OS X 10.6.8 2 x 3 GHz Dual -core Intel Xeon -- 9 GB memory) but I don't understand what to do with that. Your ongoing patience is appreciated.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Do you have another port, on the mini, you can plug the display into? Or it could be the video cord that has died?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    You may be able to use your Mac Pro in Target Disk Mode to attempt to boot the Mini or at least be able to extract the data off its hard drive.

Here are some links which may help:

https://www.howtogeek.com/214322/how...ile-transfers/

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answ...acs-hard-drive

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/07/how-t...get-disk-mode/

Thank you, ferrarr : I tried the HDMI port but got no signal there either though I did get a blue screen rather than a black screen. I would hope that the Mac Hardware Test would have spotted a malfunctioning video card. The start up chime sounds and the fan runs briefly when I push the power button so I seem to have a power supply. That suggests HDD failure to me so I think I will have to throw some money at it. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks, chscag: Luckily, I do have a full back up. I have ordered a 500 GB SSD and will see if anything improves for me. I don't think I have previously been to any of the sites whose links you provided so now I have some interesting reading to do.

Thread Information