Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Deleted MacOS partitions and installed Ubuntu, now can't boot with DVD, USB, recovery
    I deleted all partitions on the MacBook's HD and installed Ubuntu.
    Now I want to reinstall MacOS but nothing will work.

    Holding option on startup shows the grey screen with the pointer but no removable media or HD partitions show up to boot from.

    Holding command R at startup for recovery mode will just boot regularly into ubuntu.

    Holding option command R at startup for internet recovery will boot on Grub, Ubuntu's boot loader.

    How can I reinstall MacOS in this situation?
    Is there any other kind of low-level reset or something else that will let me boot from a DVD or USB device?
    Is there a way to access something like the setup you get to by holding F2 on regular PCs?

  2. #2
    Deleted MacOS partitions and installed Ubuntu, now can't boot with DVD, USB, recovery
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,458
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Petruza2 View Post
    I deleted all partitions on the MacBook's HD and installed Ubuntu.
    Now I want to reinstall MacOS but nothing will work.

    Holding option on startup shows the grey screen with the pointer but no removable media or HD partitions show up to boot from.
    That's because if you successfully deleted all macOS partitions (as the thread title says)...there is no mac OS to boot from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Petruza2 View Post
    Holding command R at startup for recovery mode will just boot regularly into ubuntu.
    If you successfully deleted all macOS partitions (as the thread title says)...then you also got rid of the "Recovery Partition"...which is what command + r does (boots into the Recovery Partition...if present).

    Quote Originally Posted by Petruza2 View Post
    Holding option command R at startup for internet recovery will boot on Grub, Ubuntu's boot loader.
    Command + r is NOT the proper command for Internet Recovery...the 3-key combo...command + option + r is for Internet Recovery. And this assumes that this computer is capable of internet recovery (not all Mac models are).

    Quote Originally Posted by Petruza2 View Post
    How can I reinstall MacOS in this situation?
    Is there any other kind of low-level reset or something else that will let me boot from a DVD or USB device?
    I would try Internet Recovery first (if this model computer is capable of Internet Recovery). It would also be great to know the exact specs of this computer. Then we can help further.

    Quote Originally Posted by Petruza2 View Post
    Is there a way to access something like the setup you get to by holding F2 on regular PCs?
    Apple computers are "REGULAR PC's"! Lol

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Deleted MacOS partitions and installed Ubuntu, now can't boot with DVD, USB, recovery
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,243
    Rep Power
    24
    None of the recovery options will work since as Nick has pointed out you've removed the macOS partition and the recovery partition which contains the recovery "tool". However, you should be able to get to the boot device selector by holding down the OPTION key since that feature should be built into the firmware of the Mac which you can't erase.

    However, getting to the right boot selection menu is a bit annoying, you have to hit the OPTION key immediately after powering on the Mac util the menu appears, try a few times..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin


  4. #4
    command + option + R doesn't work either, it boots to a grey screen with a flashing folder icon with a question mark
    I've used startup manager in the past multiple times, to boot from the bootcamp partition, USB stick, etc. But after I installed Ubuntu, holding option at startup only takes me to a light gray blank screen with the cursor and nothing else.
    No partitions, USB devices, DVDs, nothing shows up there.
    I know from experience and from the mac mini I'm writing this on, that startup manager even shows partitions and drives that aren't even bootable, but they are shown anyway. But now, nada.

    Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 17.14.39.png

  5. #5
    Deleted MacOS partitions and installed Ubuntu, now can't boot with DVD, USB, recovery
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,243
    Rep Power
    24
    One possibility is that the startup manager is part of the "boot loader" of macOS and when you put GRUB on there it blew that away and now you are stuck with only Ubuntu.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin


  6. #6
    Yep, now not even ubuntu will load. Not sure what made it, maybe NVRAM reset.

  7. #7
    Deleted MacOS partitions and installed Ubuntu, now can't boot with DVD, USB, recovery
    ferrarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 21, 2012
    Location
    Pawtucket, RI, US
    Posts
    7,085
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Rep Power
    14
    Do you have a Time Machine backup? Do you have a clone? You mention a USB, is it a bootable USB Mac OS X/OS X/macOS installer?

    If you have another Mac available to use, you can use Target Disk Mode, to wipe the internal drive of the MacBook. Here’s an older article, but still useable, http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/13/insta...get-disk-mode/.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

  8. #8
    Deleted MacOS partitions and installed Ubuntu, now can't boot with DVD, USB, recovery
    IWT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2009
    Location
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Posts
    6,153
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Rep Power
    20
    @Petruza

    Welcome to our Forums.

    You don't give much away when it comes to which OS was on your MacBook, nor which OS is on your Mac mini, but you could try the following:

    On your Mac mini, you could go into the App Store and download the Installer for whatever OS is on the mini, or higher if your MacBook will support it.

    When the Installer of the OS (whatever it is you choose) is downloaded, use Diskmaker X to create a bootable OS on a USB stick of at least 8GB.

    When that is done, you can use the USB stick as the bootable option on your MacBook, then erase the MacBook's HD and install the OS.

    I acknowledge that this is a very cryptic message, but I'm assuming that you are fairly well up on Apple computer matters given your experimentation.

    I can't promise this will work, but worth a try and if you need step-by-step advice on what I've posted, just ask.

    It would still be very helpful to us if you published the specs of your MacBook and mini (year, model, OS of each etc).

    Ian
    Ian

  9. #9
    I tried several times with USB bootable sticks made from Mountain lion, Mavericks and El Capitan. But startup manager didn't recognize and show them to boot from them so there's no use to it.
    Although I just tried an advice someone else gave me, about installing the full OS to an external HD, I did it, and booted the Macbook with that.
    Now I'll try to install MacOS in the internal HD.

  10. #10
    Deleted MacOS partitions and installed Ubuntu, now can't boot with DVD, USB, recovery
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,458
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Petruza2 View Post
    command + option + R doesn't work either, it boots to a grey screen with a flashing folder icon with a question mark
    I've used startup manager in the past multiple times, to boot from the bootcamp partition, USB stick, etc. But after I installed Ubuntu, holding option at startup only takes me to a light gray blank screen with the cursor and nothing else.
    No partitions, USB devices, DVDs, nothing shows up there.
    I know from experience and from the mac mini I'm writing this on, that startup manager even shows partitions and drives that aren't even bootable, but they are shown anyway. But now, nada.
    Mentioned above that we need to know the exact spec's of this computer (at least what year & model it is). Some Apple computers are not capable of Internet Recovery.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Mentioned above that we need to know the exact spec's of this computer (at least what year & model it is). Some Apple computers are not capable of Internet Recovery.

    - Nick
    It's a late 2009 MacBook, people just mentioned that macs prior to 2010 didn't have internet recovery, but mine did, maybe it was a firmware update introduced by the latest OSs, don't know.
    Anyway, option-command-R does seem to get the mac into some state, but then it proceeds to boot either ubuntu or grub, but at least I can tell it recognizes the key combination for internet recovery.

    But anyway, as I stated above, I'm being able to boot from an external HD now.

  12. #12
    Deleted MacOS partitions and installed Ubuntu, now can't boot with DVD, USB, recovery
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,458
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Petruza2 View Post
    I tried several times with USB bootable sticks made from Mountain lion, Mavericks and El Capitan. But startup manager didn't recognize and show them to boot from them so there's no use to it.
    Are you pressing the Option key upon startup? If not...it will just boot into Ubuntu as mentioned above. Also...do these bootable USB sticks work on other Mac's?

    And again...need to know (at least) what year & model this is. At this point we don't even know what OS limitations this computer has. If it's super old...it may not be able to run
    Mountain lion, Mavericks and El Capitan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Petruza2 View Post
    Although I just tried an advice someone else gave me, about installing the full OS to an external HD, I did it, and booted the Macbook with that.
    Now I'll try to install MacOS in the internal HD.
    Yes...this is something I suggest all the time. Great to know this worked...since it tells us the computer is ok. But still...you should have told us what OS version is on this external HD (so we know).

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  13. #13
    Deleted MacOS partitions and installed Ubuntu, now can't boot with DVD, USB, recovery
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,458
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Petruza2 View Post
    It's a late 2009 MacBook, people just mentioned that macs prior to 2010 didn't have internet recovery, but mine did, maybe it was a firmware update introduced by the latest OSs, don't know.
    Sorry...but nope. Needs to be at least 2010 or newer:

    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

    If it had or has Internet Recovery...then it's not a late 2009 MacBook.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Installed Lion and now my ubuntu partition won't boot
    By dmagree in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
  2. Mac OS X Boot Ubuntu from Usb thumb drive. Help please.
    By Alexandermag89 in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
  3. Windows 7 won't boot after installing Ubuntu 10.10 to a USB.
    By ryebread761 in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 10:20 AM
  4. Ubuntu on Macbook, boot via usb
    By lee89b in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM
  5. Boot Ubuntu from External USB 2.0
    By iRock in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •