Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Networking - Sierra DHCP Issue

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz)
    Updated to 10.12.6 after my last post and removed 192.168.1.1 from the DNS server and after running 3 reboots, I have not experienced the issue again

edit - spoke too soon it seems
    Last edited by milomak; 08-04-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    I am glad you have fixed the issue although I believe you have just patched around it. I have a feeling that the iMac ethernet was picking up a different DHCP provider that had the 192.168.88.xx address range while the iMac wireless was picking another DHCP provider that had the 192.168.1.xx addresses.

You have listed a whole host of other devices on your network and I bet they are all using their wireless connections??? I know this could be different for the laptops but most use the wireless connections. If that is true, then whatever box the ethernet cable is connected to is somehow picking up the 192.168.88.xx provider. By forcing the iMac to use the 192.168.1.1 device, which I believe from your previous post is the wireless router, and setting the iMac address (wireless or ethernet - not specified) to 192.168.1.100 you have eliminated your issue but not solved the problem.

However, if it is working that is great and I do hold with the philosophy of "If it ain't broke don't fix it." But regardless of how you feel about Sierra, I don't believe it has anything to do with your issue.

Lisa
    i must have not refreshed when i last replied and missed your post.

yeah it is a patch rather than addressing the real issue. but i understand why the patch works and it should be long-term term so i am largely happy with that.

re the wifi dhcp, are you suggesting that even though i have turned the wifi off that the imac is still actively looking for an internet connection from the wifi?

you are right in that all other devices are wireless and the imac the only one connected physically to the router. that said the other devices also have static internal IPs allocated to them and I can ssh into them for instance on their 192.168.1.xxx address.

i have no issue with sierra overall.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    Ahhh... I guess I thought the iMac was using both the wireless and wired network connections from what you had posted. My mistake. If you have turned off the wireless on the iMac then it is off and not looking for a connection.

However, by setting a static address for the iMac's wired connection, especially if the gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 and having the DNS set to the 192.168.1.1 - which is your router this forces the wired iMac to get it's IP address from there too. If it works don't sweat it. But something else is handing out IP addresses in the 192.168.88.x address range which will mess with you using ssh to connect to your other devices.

Glad you have it working!

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Thread Information