Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    macOS High Sierra public beta available for testing
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    The Public Beta second release is available to registered beta testers as of this morning.

I always get excited when a new macOS beta is released and this is no exception. But first let me say:

PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL THIS BETA AS YOUR SOLE OPERATING SYSTEM ON YOUR PRIMARY DEVICE> I know some people will, it always happens, despite all the warnings and we will get the occasional post from someone asking how they can revert to their previous system or even more ridiculous, complaining that it doesnt work as hoped. Please read this article; http://osxdaily.com/2017/06/14/dual-...eta-partition/

This release of High Sierra promises to be pretty dramatic with the in brief inclusions/additions of;

Apple File System brings the Mac and storage fully into the future. HEVC and HEIF offer better efficiency and flexibility for 4K HDR video and computational photography going forward.

Metal 2 is 100x better at draw calls than OpenGL and Apple's leveraging that for everything from smoother interface animations to making machine learning models accessible to a much wider range of people.

VR is coming to the Mac with a ton of smarts for developers and creators, though it remains to be seen if game content will come with it.
    Photos, Notes, Safari, and several other built-in apps got feature and performance boosts, including opening images in external editors, tables, along with tracker and auto-play video blockers. Hurrah.

Other features, like Continuity for media, split view app switching, Instant Markup for screenshots, and HomeKit for Siri remain frustratingly absent. Faces and iMessage sync offer added convenience without impacting security and privacy. Universal Clipboard for those with multiple Macs is the bomb.

At the core of all these changes is of course the new Apple File System (AFS) already introduced in the last iOS update so lets hope we see improved compatibility there because my wife has had a few hiccups with syncing her iPhone 5s since that upgrade.

So, BACKUP, create a partition on your Macintosh HD if you have the space or better yet buy yourself a fast 250GB - USB 3.1 External SSD 'cause if you're serious about beta testing you'll get a lot of use out of it over time.

Lastly, get excited like me and give a whirl.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I got wind of the drop yesterday. Charlie has already installed the beta if I am not mistaken. The only reason I haven't done it yet is I have beeb cloning my system and running several tests under Sierra so that I can compare the same tasks under the beta.

I'll be putting the beta on my primary drive because that is the best way to get a good speed comparison. I do not recommend this for most users for the very reasons you mentioned. The only reason I am fairly confident doing this is that:

1. I have already cloned my current system.
    2. I have my old MacBook Pro on El Capitan that I could use in an emergency.
    3. I am on Summer break right now and don't have pressing, work-related, material at the the moment.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Download completed just as I funishe

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    The Public Beta second release is available to registered beta testers as of this morning.
    Thanks Rod. I believe some of us have already downloaded and installed the beta. I downloaded it and installed it on an external hard drive yesterday. Also, I believe Dennis has been testing it for awhile.

As I previously mentioned to Slydude, the installation will take a while as the system reboots 3 or 4 times. I believe the reason it reboots so many times may have to do with converting the file system to APFS. My installation was probably slower because I installed it on an external hard drive that I purchased just to run the beta. I first cloned my system to the new hard drive with CCC and then booted from the EHD and downloaded the beta to it.

Your Mac's Specs
    There are the usual heart stopping moments although the installer does warn you it may restart several times when the progress bar only gets about a quarter of the way before the screen goes completely black with nothing apparently happening (I counted four such occurences) before you actually get to a progress bar with a time till completion message. I shouldn't watch really.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Rod, does it convert the boot drive to the new file system?
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes. It says this in the instal process.

Your Mac's Specs
    I thought it would have to in order to get the performance changes that have been discussed here and there for about the last 2 or 3 years. Thanks for confirming that for me. I updated my Sierra clone and did the last of my speed test last night so download here I come.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    Am going to give this one a miss until the full release and then do a clean install. The re-format of the current Sierra boot drive does not appeal to me.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Am going to give this one a miss until the full release and then do a clean install. The re-format of the current Sierra boot drive does not appeal to me.
    Probably a good idea Harry. That's why I didn't want to install the public beta on my working iMac and instead used an external bootable hard drive that was cloned from Sierra. So far other than running slow because of the USB connection, I have not run into problems with the new file system. I do need to test some of my utilities like Paragon NTFS, Paragon Hard Disk Manager, DriveDX, and iDefrag. I'm almost positive that iDefrag will not run but I'll see what it says anyway.

BTW, so far my games are running OK. Microsoft Office wants to be reactivated again but that was to be expected. I don't need to test that anyway.

Your Mac's Specs
    I thought the folks down under had a sense of adventure Harry? What happened?

I installed the beta a few hours ago after spending yesterday conduction a few speed tests with Sierra on some common tasks. I haven't started running my comparison tests yet. Think I will wait a day or two before doing that. This is not a beta for the faint of heart thought because it does convert the boot drive to the new filesystem as Rod mentioned in his post.

I installed it over Sierra as a test to see how it would behave since I suspect that is what many of our members will do. As we get closer to final release I will probably do a completely clean install and see if it makes a difference. It's time that anyway. Its been several OS releases, including numerous betas since I did a completely clean install.

@Charlie You had mentioned to me that your install of Microsoft Office 2011 asked for the activation again after changing to the new system. That did not happen to me though Word seemed a little slow to launch the first time I ran it.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OS X.14.6 Mojave,
    With another birthday Sly, and I NEVER got a card from you, I am slowly slipping away from adventure into comfort.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    With another birthday Sly, and I NEVER got a card from you, I am slowly slipping away from adventure into comfort.
    Belated Happy Birthday wishes. Hope you enjoyed it.

I have a horrible memory for birthdays. I'd blame it on being in my fifth decade but I had a horrible memory for that kind of stuff in my 20s. I need to finish putting that info into Contacts then I can run the script that reminds me of peoples birthdays and sends them an email.

BTW You are at the perfect age for adventure because:
    When young men try something adventurous and it fails folks conclude that you're either "past the sell by date" or at themvery least have had too many adult beverages. As you get older and do something adventurous you are either "eccentric" or at the very least inspirational.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    @Charlie You had mentioned to me that your install of Microsoft Office 2011 asked for the activation again after changing to the new system. That did not happen to me though Word seemed a little slow to launch the first time I ran it.
    You have to remember that I installed it on an external hard drive, hence, new hardware. That's why Office 2011 wanted to be reactivated.

Some more info: Paragon Hard Disk Manager: It sensed High Sierra and offered to download an update which it did. After that it ran fine.

iDefrag: Barfed. It asked for my license and when I entered it, it said that is was corrupt and then I had to shut down. I suspect it needs to be updated or maybe completely re-written for APFS.

Disk Utility: First Aid ran OK.

Haven't had time to do much more because I had to get back to my regular routine and start preparing for next week. Maybe I'll do some more testing later tonight.

Your Mac's Specs
    This is the first time I have installed a beta on a partition of my Macintosh HD, usually use an external but I thought to give it a fair try I would give it a try. It is very fast. Have only just scratched the surface but my impression is very positive so far.

Thread Information