Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

MacOS Sierra Question
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS Mojave 10.14.4, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
    MacOS Sierra Question
    I have just upgraded my iMac to the 5K Retina 2017 model - shipped with MacOS Sierra v10.12.5. As there was no built in CD/DVD internal drive I purchased an external Apple Super Drive and the necessary adaptor from Apple to run it on Sierra.

No problems with using it but I see no way to eject the drive to free up the USB port when I have finished using it. Can I just unplug the USB connection without causing any damage to the unit or my iMac.
    Thanks for any replies.
    MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!

MacOS Sierra Question
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Yes. Once you have completed your task, and any disk within has been ejected; then just unplug the USB.

Ian
    Ian

MacOS Sierra Question
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS Mojave 10.14.4, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Yes. Once you have completed your task, and any disk within has been ejected; then just unplug the USB.

Ian
    Ian: Sorry for not replying until now, been busy all day. Thank you for a speedy reply. I thought that may be the case but nice to have it confirmed. Thanks once again for your help.
    MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!

MacOS Sierra Question
    If a disc is inserted, it would be visible in Finder and on the Desktop and you would "trash" it to eject the disc. But the physical device itself can just be unplugged when nothing is inserted into it and that'll be fine..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

MacOS Sierra Question
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    If a disc is inserted, it would be visible in Finder and on the Desktop and you would "trash" it to eject the disc. But the physical device itself can just be unplugged when nothing is inserted into it and that'll be fine..
    RazOrEdge: Many thanks for the +1.
    MacG.

MacOS Sierra Question
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    I always get a warning when doing that with a flash drive (accidently, of course) but have never noticed any ill effects following my brain freeze.

MacOS Sierra Question
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Although I think problems could occur any time a writeable drive is not ejected properly, it's probably not much of an issue unless:

1. Information is being written to the drive and hasn't finished when the drive is ejected (files, directory structure changes, etc).
    2. The drive is not properly ejected repeatedly. Obviously the more often the drive is not handled properly the more likely it is that on some occasion important information won't be written properly thus causing problems.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

MacOS Sierra Question
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    I always get a warning when doing that with a flash drive (accidently, of course) but have never noticed any ill effects following my brain freeze.
    Unless this external drive is also a disc burner and you eject it while in the middle of a burn, you are likely using it to read CD/DVDs and thus extraction with no consequences as long as one doesn't mind the disc stuck in the reader. The USB flash drive on the other hand can be read/written to and extracting it without properly ejecting it will lead to data loss when you least expect it. When data is written to the physical storage (regardless of whether that's HDD, SSD, USB flash drive, external USB drive), the OS tries to optimize the action and it does so by caching the data in RAM and then flushing things out to the physical media at a later time.

Ejecting the drive (or shutting down your machine cleanly) forces that flushing to happen immediately and thus all the data is properly saved/stored on the physical media. Avoiding this repeatedly will cause bits of data to go missing and when you lose enough bits, you lose files entirely..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information