Sierra Updated, Now won't Open Any Pages
    I just got an automatic update today from the App store. Sierra opens but no pages will open, just a blank screen and spinning pinwheel. I have rebooted, cleared the history and website data, rebooted the router. Ethernet is connected but I am using a Macbook Air on wifi to write this. Suggests would be appreciated

What updates were they and did the installs, and restarts if any actually finish doing their thing(s)?

I did some yesterday for some Sierra suggestions and I thought my iMac had just died several times with no indication that anything was actually happening.

- Patrick
    ======

I can't recall what the updates were but they were to Sierra. How would I know if they are complete? I assume that they were. Now I can't access the app store or any site with Sierra. I am using Chrome as a secondary browser which works

What Mac model is it that you're having the problems with?

Does it boot at all or is it just Safari and the App Store that's not working.

Can you boot from the Recovery HD and run Disk Utility? (Boot pressing down the command and r key together or by just holding the option key.)

Does it boot and things work properly if you boot uo into Safe Boot Mode. (Press and hold the shift key when you hear the cold boot sound.)

- Patrick
    ======

MacInWin
    Mrgreentank, sorry, but your posts are confusing. You say "Sierra opens but no pages will open, just a blank screen and spinning pinwheel." and then "I am using Chrome as a secondary browser which works." If, in fact Sierra (the operating system itself) isn't showing applications, how do you open Chrome? And if Sierra is the problem, how are you even getting to the App Store icon?

I'm thinking that Sierra, the operating system, is booting just fine, but you are having issues with Safari, the browser? Is that the problem?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgreentank View Post
    I can't recall what the updates were but they were to Sierra. How would I know if they are complete? I assume that they were. Now I can't access the app store or any site with Sierra. I am using Chrome as a secondary browser which works
    This is a bit confusing. What you're really saying here is that your browser quit working not Sierra. The update to Sierra was likely 10.12.5 which just went public last week. If Chrome is working, then there is nothing wrong with the update to Sierra.

You can trouble shoot Safari by following these instructions. Do not attempt the first one as it no longer works. The latest version of Safari can not be reset, but the other steps still work and can be used to correct Safari.

MacInWin
    Charlie, I nipped you at the wire! But your answer was more useful, so you get the "style" points!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Thanks Jake. But lately everyone is faster than I am... (to say nothing of my wife who is a speed demon) LOL. But thanks for the points.

Thread Information