Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hi Guys,

Just a quick update. I chased up Apple the other day after again sending my Logs and Screen recordings to them (about 10 days ago). I was immediately put through to a Senior adviser called Rudy who promised to take this up and get back to me a couple of days later. This time I'm please to report they did come back to me as promised and yesterday has agreed that Apple will replace my MacAir.

I'm away working for the next 2 weeks and because when they process it then everything needs to be done within a 2 week window then I have said I will advise them once I get home and we can arrange for me to go to a store to get it replaced or if they will give me some form of credit for it I will upgrade to a new 15" Mac Pro with 1TB.

I will update this thread with the final outcome in 2 weeks time.

Going forward I will also see if anything strange happens on my new machine (Hopefully Not!) and obviously report it to Apple. Like before I have sent recordings and log files. I have nothing to hide, I only want to ensure their MacOS is secure and not being hacked not only for me but for others before and if it is being hacked then I will do everything to help them include give them my machine so their software engineers can examine it in depth.

With my new one I will probably also not download any Apps or Chrome at the start and see what happens. Then maybe one by one download and see then if strange things only happen after a certain app is downloaded.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's interest, support and suggestions it has been very much appreciated. Maybe with what i've been learning / dealing with my problems I can 1 day assist someone else on here.

Best Regards
    Phil

Shocked to see my post / request for help on Mac OS cancelled / deleted???
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Thanks for the report Phil! Glad they are going to replace it. Can't wait for your report in 2 weeks.

Your Mac's Specs
    I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
    Thanks for the update. I hope this is the end of your problems.

Hi Guys,

Well I have been back in the UK for just over 1 week and even though a previous Senior Adviser agreed to replace my MacAir I am not getting anywhere on the phone with them. I even booked a Genius Bar Appointment in one of their stores and they said it couldn't be resolved in the store even though I have Apple Care???

The latest excuse they have told me is that the Senior Adviser who agreed to replace my Mac is based in the USA where the rules are slightly different to the UK. I don't see why this should be my problem as my normal request for support is through the App on my iPhone and then Apple call you.

Already had senior advisers promising to call back that then failed to return my call. Today I have spoken to yet another senior adviser who is going to contact the senior adviser in the USA who agreed tge replacement to see if they can resolve this. Very dissappointing to say the least after all the issues I've had and the hours spent sending the proof!

I will keep you folks posted.

Best Regards
    Phil

Hi Guys,

A further update is Apple are now refusing to replace my MacAir even though previously they agreed in writing during online chat. They are saying I was connected to someone in America and rules are different there. Surely though they have seen the same screen recordings as I posted here earlier in this thread and clearly my Mac isn't working as it should. Anyway why should Apple Support rules be different in the US to the UK?

I will now seek legal advice as clearly my Mac is faulty and is still under Apple Support yet they are not willing to fix it.

After having had an iPhone 3,4,5,6 & 7, iPad 2, iPad Air 2 and MacAir, Apple TV & Airport Express I was expecting a bit better customer service. Clearly not!

I will keep this thread updated as It goes

Best Regards
    Phil

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    The consumer protection laws do vary from country to country. Consumer protection laws are more stringent in some countries and less so in others. Some countries laws are even more stringent in the US.

If the representative you talked to is refusing to resolve the issue it may be worth talking to someone else a bit farther up the chain so to speak. I'm sure that a search would reveal numerous instances where a customer was told one thing by one Apple representative and something completely different by another representative.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Hiya,

yep I've asked to speak to someone higher but the senior advisers I have been speaking to have told be that's as high as I can go.

Next week I'm going to try 1 last try in person at a store and take all my proof including the transcript of the online chat where it was agreed to be replaced and see if they will do it in store. If I get nowhere then it will be time to seek legal advice, maybe court action and possibly see if the press want a story.

To say I'm shocked at their customer service having been a loyal Apple fan for many years is an understatement.

The biggest thing that still concerns me though is they have agreed all my recordings are "Unexpected Behaviour" however they fail to address it or take any action which isn't what you really expect from Apple!

MacInWin
    Email Tim Cook. It won't get to Tim, most likely, but it will get to someone higher up. Include the chat and email you have that Apple committed to exchanging the MBA. Keep it civil in tone, just present the facts that Apple agreed to replace, then reneged on that promise and see what happens. Then, if nothing resolves from the email, you can still go the legal route.

Hi Jake,

I cc'd Tim in before and got nowhere hence now I'm bored of knocking my head against the wall so to speak.

Having it in writing from before agreeing to replace it should be enough to win in the courtroom.

The senior adviser 2 days ago was trying everything in the book to get out of it and asked me for proof of purchase even though it still has Apple Care registered to it. Then says I need to take it for another hardware test in store even though I've uploaded all the screen recordings of the strange stuff going on and it's been agreed already to be replaced. Plus every time it passes the hardware test when clearly if you watch the recordings it isn't okay. I've spent hours sending them video's and logs to no avail.

Like I say, I will try 1 more time in store with hopefully a manager and if no joy then I will contact a Lawyer. I told the Senior Adviser this earlier today and even though this I can't see I'll lose especially with it in writing it will be replaced there will then be legal costs added along with bad publicity for them but he didn't care!

Thanks for your suggestion though

Regards
    Phil

MacInWin
    It's your call, but cc's to Tim aren't going to be read. You would need to email him directly. But it's up to you, entirely. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Having it in writing from before agreeing to replace it should be enough to win in the courtroom.

I know that a lot of areas and jurisdictions are much more prone to suing etc. than they are in Canada, but we were recently informed by our ISP that an old included benefit would be deleted and there wasn't a normal user thing we could do about it, but to their credit, they did give us some other breaks but not of the same monetary value.

As our home construction builder would say — sh*t happens!!! And one carries on…

Some do otherwise…

- Patrick
    ======

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    phill, your multiple problems taken individually could have simple answers but taken as a whole seem coincidental as they appear to be primarily system issues.

It seems to me that you suspect outside tampering and in this day and age that is always a possibility.

If you wish to eliminate that possibility entirely you will need to take some fairly radical steps which will be rather time consuming and difficult to reverse.
    I would suggest that first you install a VPN to both your Mac and your iPhone. ExpressVPN will allow you up to 4 devices on the one account.

The next step would be to initiate two step authentication for your Apple and Google accounts. I would also suggest you change passwords on all of your social media sites, email accounts and Apple ID.
    Ensure you have logged out of all other sites such as WhatsApp, Viber, Skype etc.

The next step would be to clone your Macintosh HD to an external HD preferably a fast one eg. Lightning Bolt connection. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner.
    Ensure that you also copy the Recovery Partition.
    Now you can boot your Mac from the clone. Try running your device from the clone, logging back into all of your services, it will be identified as a different device but it will contain all of your original data. Do not use an internet connection without the VPN, ExpressVPN has a network lock preventing any traffic if the VPN connection fails.
    If all seems normal over say, the next week, use the Recovery Partition on the clone to erase and reformat the Macintosh HD.
    You can then use the same CCC app to copy your clone back to your Mac.

This rather lengthy process should have eliminated most possible security breaches and provide security in the form of two way encryption via VPN and two step verification for the future.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thanks for the vpn advice. I was thinking about this before however having provided evidence to Apple of strange activity I was kinda hoping they may of been more keen to look in to what is happening. If going down the vpn route then why buy a more expensive Mac in the first place?

With regards to emailing tcook I did email him direct and cc the Senior Adviser Rudy who had approved the replacement.

Thanks again guys for all your suggestions. As always I appreciate your time and will keep this thread updated 100% honestly.

Hi Guys,

For those that have been following this thread I'm finally pleased to say my MacAir was replaced yesterday in a Store. Well they actually gave me a credit to the value of the MacAir off of a 15" MacBook Pro. A result at last!

I still had no joy with Apple Support on the phone. They continued to say the Adviser on the phone who had originally agreed to replace my Mac was from America and the rules are different there, even though I have the transcript of the online chat when they agreed. I think that would of been enough to win in a court had it been needed, thankfully not.

In the end I booked a Store Genius Appointment as a last ditch attempt before going to the courts and I returned to the store where it was bought originally. Asked for the Manager and calmly explained the situation and he looked everything up against the MacAir, 22 phone calls apparently! He made a decision in minutes to replace it and the deal was struck for the new Pro.

I'm still slightly confused as to why when AppleCare is Workdwide why if I had been from the USA it would of been replaced but not in the UK.

Anyway for those that have seen the screen recordings of "Unexpected Behaviour" on my Mac then I'm still convinced it has been some sort of Hacker Attack. Therefore I will set it up as new and not from any backups and will also install as few as possible Apps to start with just to see if anything unusual starts after installing any imparticular App.

I will report back to this Thread here if I get any unusual behaviour with a link to a screen recording. Keeping my fingers crossed however I'm not overly confident since the MacPro and Air have the same OS and I'm still convinced the strange behaviour I was getting was too coincidental for it to of not been targeted stacks, plus never was any Virus or Malware etc found on it.

I just hope if I get any strange goings on with my new Mac that Apple look in to this more proactively to close up what ever back door a hacker is using to get to the system for all of us that own Mac's not just myself. I would do what I can to help Apple also.

Many thanks again to everyone's time, help & support

Regards
    Phil

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Always good to hear when things turn out well. I guess the Apple folks in the UK don't care to much for the Apple folks in the "colonies". LOL. Anyway, enjoy your new MacBook Pro and chalk it all up to a harrowing experience.

Thread Information