Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Exclamation Mac Hd Complete Random Failure, Mac unresponsive, PLEASE HELP!!!
    (Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010) 2.8 Intel Quad-Core, 32gb Ram, ATI Rage Pro, 250gb Solid State HDD, Mac Os Sierra 10.12)

Hi, have had zero issues with my Mac since i bought it less than a year ago. It was a complete refurbish job, for all intents and purposes... Its brand new.
    the other day i was using it, with no problems, and all of a sudden, it began to give me the bouncing ball every few minutes, then every few seconds, then i could not even move the mouse with out it giving me that bouncing ball, and it would take up to five minutes for it to unfreeze. So... I ran disk Utility. Tech Pro 9, Malware-bytes, Avast Virus Scanner, Memtest, CleanMyMac 3, and Dr. Cleaner, and cleaned out all my caches and temp folders. Every test I ran concluded with "Everything is OK" no issues at all, but nonetheless, I still had this bouncing ball problem. So I rebooted it. I should not have done that.

I have not been able to reboot my Mac at all. I have been trying for three days and nights straight. I have restarted with Option, Shift, C, X, T, D, Command+Option+R+P, Command+R, Option+D, and anything else i could find on the internet.

I have tried to put a copy of Sierra on a Bootable USB using (Windows 10 Diskpart Method and TransMac)
    I have taken out every HDD and Memory Stick and rebooted, Reinstalled everything and rebooted, switched keyboards and rebooted.

Which brings us to now... I have only the HDD in question, keyboard and mouse installed. and....
    NOTHING

I don't understand how a Solid State HDD (Like a Flash Drive) can fail??? It has no moving parts and I wasn't struck by lightening or suffer a bad virus, at least not one i could see happening.

Could someone please help me, I am at a loss and do not know what to do. I have a working Windows Machine, so anything we do has to come from it. I have a clean and unused, new 64gb USB drive and a 2Tb External Hdd to use.
    Can I either Put Sierra on a Bootable USB and run a diagnostic from it, or can I install Sierra on one of those, boot the Mac from it and recover my files from the possibly bad Hdd?

And most important, could someone tell me how to go about doing these things? Since I clearly don't know how to accomplish it.
    Also, is there something that I am not seeing or something that I don't know about Mac or Hdd's in general that could help with my current situation????

Thank you so much. I am waiting with baited breath to hear from you, as my Mac is very important to my work and my life.

Mac Hd Complete Random Failure, Mac unresponsive, PLEASE HELP!!!
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Try Command and R to get into Recovery.

If you can't you need a new hard drive, an easy job in a Mac Pro. Those methods using Windows won't work. Jake all drives fail they are FREDs - Ridiculous Electronic Devices and I will leave you to guess the first part. I have had two brands of SSD D.O.A. in the box when brand new. Rough handling during shipment, being dropped etc can kill them stone dead. Further bad news SSD's in particularlly do not take to recovering information on them. They usually give little warning before they fail. Booting into Recovery and running Disk First Aid is the repair option. I shall include a link from Apple for using this.

You have no external backup and that is a serious problem. With a Mac Pro having four hard drive bays, buy two drives, one for booting, and the other in Bay Two for backing up all your files and operating system. Noted author David Pogue says 'There are two types of computer users. Those that have lost all their information and those that are about to."

Hard luck but best wishes. Loks like when you get the new drives time to start all over again. the Recovery link will aso show about downloading a new version of Sierra via the Internet.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201314
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Since your Mac Pro is a mid 2010 model, you will need to get the Snow Leopard disk, http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC...6-snow-leopard. This will allow you to install Mac OS X to your new drive, then you can update to the last Mac OS version you were running.

One option I didn't see you mention was an SMC reset, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295, did you try it?

As Harry mentioned above, you can't use a Windows OS to create a Mac bootable USB.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

MacInWin
    And to answer the question, "I don't understand how a Solid State HDD (Like a Flash Drive) can fail??? It has no moving parts and I wasn't struck by lightening or suffer a bad virus, at least not one i could see happening," the spinning beachball was the indicator that the drive was failing. SSDs fail just like any other electronic device. Most spinning HDs don't fail for the spinning or moving part, but the electronics. And SSD life expectancy is about the same as a spinner. At this point Bob has given you the best advice, to get a SL disk, create something you can boot from and then work on the move from there to where you were. As for your files, unless you can then read the SSD after getting the system going again, about all you can do is restore from your backup. You DO have a backup, right?

Oh, and get rid of Avast Virus Scanner, Memtest, CleanMyMac 3, and Dr. Cleaner, you don't need any of them and some of them can create more problems than they solve.

Quote Originally Posted by jakejohnsonband View Post
    So... I ran disk Utility. Tech Pro 9, Malware-bytes, Avast Virus Scanner, Memtest, CleanMyMac 3, and Dr. Cleaner, and cleaned out all my caches and temp folders
    I doubt it's your main problem here, but i think i can safely say you should get rid of every program you named after Malwarebytes... Those just slow your Mac WAY down, and some of them even act as malware, like CleanMyMac and Dr Cleaner.

Edit: Just noticed MacInWin already advised you to. This guy is wise, just listen to him!

Your Mac's Specs
    mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
    yeah....Jake's good.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    I guess the 'baited breath' business failed when the OP realised he was between a rock and a hard place with no backup and all that crapware on his Mac Pro.

Over a week now and no response.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

MacInWin
    Careful, you're likely to "turn my head."

Thread Information