Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Erratic behaviour after liquid spill
    Hello,

I spilled tea on my macbook pro (water only entered through the vents, not the keyboard). It didn't shut down. I turned it off and drained the tea.

After half an hour or so in front of the heat blower, I turned it on and it was working without problems. I used it for a while and put it to sleep.

However, when I used it again after a couple of hours, it didn't turn on! I decided to open it up, and there was water in the lower case. I cleaned it all up and left my macbook to dry open for 48 hours.

I had some troubles turning it back on. I had to reset the SMC. But then it worked fine.

However, for what I could notice in the past couple days, the mac won't turn on if I put it to sleep. It just won't wake up. If I charge the battery until it is full, I can finally turn it back on. If I shut it down instead of making it sleep, it turns on without any problem.

Do you guys have any idea what is wrong? The hardware test detected no errors. I'm clueless here, as it seems everything works fine except for the sleep functionality. :/

Thanks in advance!

MacInWin
    Tea has acid, which is bad for electronics. Also, if you sweetened it, sugar is bad for it, too. And liquid in general is bad for electronics. I'm surprised it worked at all. Something probably got short-circuited by the tea and some delicate component has been damaged. You can't do component repair on a Mac, about the only solution is to have the logic board tested and replaced by Apple. Significant expense there.

Good luck with it.

But isn't it somewhat weird that only the sleep function got affected? I couldn't find any other problem until now... Moreover, the hardware test says nothing is wrong... I'm confused!

The sleep mechanism is likely triggered by a magnet or some other circuitry that is broken. So when you put it to sleep, perhaps it isn't going to sleep but just draining the battery. Try to put it to sleep yourself before closing the lid and then open the lid and if it doesn't wake up, tap on the trackpad or keyboard and see if it wakes up. If so, that's going to be how your MBP is going to work for you..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbeast87 View Post
    But isn't it somewhat weird that only the sleep function got affected? I couldn't find any other problem until now... Moreover, the hardware test says nothing is wrong... I'm confused!
    Hello MrBeast.. - no reason to be confused, i.e. your laptop is likely damaged permanently and w/ further time, the corrosion will probably worsen - checkout the 20+ page Liquid Spill Thread for a LOT of sad stories (link takes you to the last page). As already recommended, you need a professional evaluation of the motherboard and an estimate of the 'expensive' repair, sorry. Do you have a backup of your drive? Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    The sleep mechanism is likely triggered by a magnet or some other circuitry that is broken. So when you put it to sleep, perhaps it isn't going to sleep but just draining the battery. Try to put it to sleep yourself before closing the lid and then open the lid and if it doesn't wake up, tap on the trackpad or keyboard and see if it wakes up. If so, that's going to be how your MBP is going to work for you..
    Actually the macbook sleeps just fine. So the magnets should be working. The problem is when waking up. It doesn't wake up easily. For what I could assess, it only wakes up after I fully charge the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hello MrBeast.. - no reason to be confused, i.e. your laptop is likely damaged permanently and w/ further time, the corrosion will probably worsen - checkout the 20+ page Liquid Spill Thread for a LOT of sad stories (link takes you to the last page). As already recommended, you need a professional evaluation of the motherboard and an estimate of the 'expensive' repair, sorry. Do you have a backup of your drive? Dave
    Geez, why is everybody so negative around here!? I don't have a backup, but since it is working fine except for sleep, I can easily make one.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @mrbeast

Geez, why is everybody so negative around here!? I don't have a backup, but since it is working fine except for sleep, I can easily make one.
    I think "realistic" is a more accurate term; and that is based on the experience of literally scores of members with similar stories.

And, irrespective of your situation, you must have a Backup (BU) strategy. This requires at least one External Hard Drive (EHD) dedicated to the BU - the simplest is Time Machine (TM). A second dedicated EHD is also strongly recommended for a cloned BU ( Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!).

Even if you find that today and tomorrow and the next, your Mac appears to function normally; the day after that, or some day anyway - like all Hard Drives and all computers - your Mac will stop working. Be prepared, as they say in the Scouts.

And just for info, Apple has placed sensors in all Macs and iDevices that can detect fluid spills, so there's no fooling them, even months down the line.

We really are trying to help here.

Ian
    Ian

Ok, i'm probably gonna sound harsh to you, but since you spilled liquid on your MacBook Pro (even "just" through the vents) you should consider yourself lucky it's even working at all. I'm saying that as a lucky person who spilled liquids on two of their Mac laptops and they still worked fine - i.e. without any strange behavior (including the one i'm posting from right now, and the former one worked for several years).

But even though it's been over a month since my spill on this one (and unlike yours, it's not doing anything weird at all) i know i'm not out of the woods, and never will be: i brought it to the Apple store for a full checkup - feel free to do the same, maybe you'll believe what people here tell you, then - and... there's a little corrosion on my MacBook Pro's logic board, so the good people at Apple told me there's no way to tell how corrosion will spread. It could work fine for years, or die the next minute so i will have to replace the (expensive) logic board.

That's why you can't rely on your computer anymore, just keep making frequent backups and hope for the best. And keep it away from humidity from now on (no more using it to listen to music while showering or taking it on vacation on beach resorts) as it tends to make corrosion spread!

Sorry, but no matter how much you kick yourself (i KNOW you do!), that spill actually happened, so it's in your best interest to be realistic here.
    Last edited by Soham; 04-07-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You can try this, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295, to see if it helps with the MBP sleep issue, good luck.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    'Coz we have seen it all before so many, many times. Literally thousands!

Keep liquids away from your notebook and all computers if you value them.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbeast87 View Post
    No one is being negative...just being realistic. We have a liquid spill thread that's 5+ years old...and has 26 pages of liquid spill horror stories.

If you want to be an eternal optimist that's fine. But the statistics don't lie. In the vast majority of cases with liquid spilled on laptop/portable computers...it's the rare case where the computer is not affected in some way (large or small). The fact that there was enough liquid for you to "drain the tea"...is an absolutely horrifying mental picture. Seeing liquid draining out of what might have been a $2000+ computer is terrible.

So far it sounds like you got really, really, really lucky. But there is always the possibility of something "crapping-out" in the future. Be prepared.

As far as the backup. There should have been a preexisting backup already. The time to do a backup is BEFORE an issue...not AFTER. Get 'er done!

Good luck,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information