Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iCloud Drive Issues
    Please move post if necessary to correct category.

I have an issue with iCloud Drive. At work, I have an iMac running El Capitan and at home I have a Mac running the same OS. When I am at work, sometimes I will put a document or video on iCloud Drive. I will copy it to the Drive and I don't have any problems. When I get home, I will try to access that document but it will say "Not Downloaded" and remain like that for a long time. Other times, it will say "Downloaded" but I can open the document. However, I don't get the circle showing any activity. I am signed in to both Macs with my Apple ID.

I don't know where the problem is, uploading or downloading. I did pay for the extra space so it is not a space issue. I don't get any error messages. I don't want to log out of iCloud because that is whole process and that takes a long time to sign out and sign in again. I did uncheck/recheck iCloud Drive and it did seem to help but not really. I did restart both Macs. I am only putting a document which is small in size in the iCloud Drive.

How do I force iCloud Drive to upload OR download files? I should not have to sign out/in again or uncheck/recheck iCloud Drive, just to get iCloud Drive to sync again.

iCloud Drive Issues
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Not an iOS issue. Your post was moved here where it belongs.

Unfortunately, iCloud syncing is not perfect. I have had problems with it several times and have learned that sometimes it just requires additional patience before the sync finally takes place. I know it's a pain to have to sign in and out of iCloud to generate the sync, but I do not know of a way to speed it up. I do know that being on the same network speeds things up considerably but since you're on two different networks (home and at work) it may take much longer to sync.

iCloud Drive Issues
    I have a similar problem where a single file fails to sync. It is on iCloud Drive on my Mac, but it won't show up on either my iPhone or iPad. It also does not show up in iCloud on the web. The file that won't sync is: OPM1099R2018.pdf

Code:
    MrMuscle:1099 mnewman$ pwd
    /Users/mnewman/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/MGN/Tax/Tax2018/1099
    MrMuscle:1099 mnewman$ ls -lea
    total 17920
    drwxr-xr-x@ 10 mnewman  staff      320 Sep  3 19:45 .
    drwxr-xr-x@ 23 mnewman  staff      736 Jul 25 04:01 ..
    -rw-r--r--@  1 mnewman  staff    11401 Jan 23  2019 2018-Mike's-IRA---BDA-488240591-Form-5498.pdf
    -rw-------@  1 mnewman  staff  4180918 Jan 18  2019 2018.mgn.1099.bofiaxos-amex.pdf
    -rw-------@  1 mnewman  staff   605665 Feb  1  2019 AXOS1099int.pdf
    -rw-r--r--@  1 mnewman  staff    59137 Jan 23  2019 AmEx1099.pdf
    -rw-r--r--@  1 mnewman  staff    35318 Jan 26  2019 Fidelity1009Div.pdf
    -rw-r--r--@  1 mnewman  staff    28884 Jan 23  2019 Fidelity1099-R.pdf
    -rw-r--r--@  1 mnewman  staff    26633 Jan 27  2019 OPM1099R2018.pdf
    -rw-r--r--@  1 mnewman  staff  1101612 Jan 28  2019 ssa1099.jpg
    I've tried turning iCloud Drive off and back on both devices and signing out and back in to iCloud on both devices, but the file still refuses to sync.

I'm sure I'm just missing something about that file. The file has been there for many months now, so it's not something that was just added. I just discovered this today because I really needed the file for a visit to Thai Immigration.

Any ideas?

iCloud Drive Issues
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Mike,

Any ideas I may have are of the basic kind.

As you can see it on your Mac and, I presume still access it, I would suggest that you open it. Then give it slightly different title and save it to your Desktop.

When you are satisfied that the saved document open and reads properly, remove the original from iCloud Drive and add the new one.

This has the following effects:

It determines that the pdf is not corrupted in some way.
    It allows for the possibility that the original title (OPM...etc) was invalid.
    It forces iCloud to sync what it perceives as a new document.

Just a few simple thoughts, sorry.

Ian
    Ian

iCloud Drive Issues
    Thanks Ian. I had tried all that. The PDF opens fine no matter where it is. I tried moving it, renaming it and moving it back. Nothing seemed to work. In fact, I have the exact same files and structure in DropBox where that file syncs between all devices.

You know what finally sort of worked? Opening the file with Preview on my iMac and changing the file name from within Preview. Once I did that the file synced with my iPad, but not my iPhone.

Edit: Never made it to iCloud Drive on the web either.

I'll keep playing.
    Last edited by Ratsima; 09-03-2019 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Noted that the file still isn't on the web version of iCloud Drive

iCloud Drive Issues
    I tried moving it, renaming it and moving it back. Nothing seemed to work. In fact, I have the exact same files and structure in DropBox where that file syncs between all devices.

I was just about to suggest using DropBox. It usually works as expected.

"SneakerNet" methods also usually work well, especially for file sharing between work and home.

- Patrick
    ======

iCloud Drive Issues
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I was just about to suggest using DropBox. It usually works as expected.
    My wife and I have to collaborate on documents now and then. We finally settled on DropBox as the most reliable way to do that.

iCloud Drive Issues
    I just did a little experiment. I had to download a couple of benefit verification letters for my appointment at Immigration today. I copied both letters to DropBox and to iCloud Drive.

Both letters are now fully synced with DropBox, but only one has synced with iCloud Drive. The missing letter doesn't show up on my iPhone, iPad or the web based iCloud Drive.

I expect better from Apple.

iCloud Drive Issues
    Both letters are now fully synced with DropBox, but only one has synced with iCloud Drive. The missing letter doesn't show up on my iPhone, iPad or the web based iCloud Drive.

I expect better from Apple.

Thank you for your confirmation on your experiences which I and others have also found to be typical. Maybe others have not experienced the same problem but I can't recommend using Apple's iCloud for just such reasons.

And that is not "Apple Bashing" but a plain real-world fact and experience, at least for us users who have had troubles with iCloud and unfortunately it has been like that for most users I associate with for much too long!!!

Maybe it works better for some other users and I'm sure they will post their positive comments.

- Patrick
    ======

iCloud Drive Issues
    Yeah, well. I'm such an Apple Fan Boy that I bought 200GB of iCloud Storage.

I tried using iCloud Photos which turned out to be an unmitigated disaster.

When DropBox changed their policy to allow only three devices on a free account I decided to move all my stuff to iCloud Drive. As can be seen here, huge mistake.

I have similar issues with Messages, Mail, Home Kit, Calendars, Reminders, etc.

It oughta just work. It doesn't.

iCloud Drive Issues
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Sometimes it’s hard to beat local storage. Being somewhat “old school” I backup everything locally and only use iCloud for syncing or backing up mobile devices, calendars, contacts password manager etc. and Photo Stream. This is mostly for portability and convenience though. I would never depend on it because it is so slow and unpredictable. I’ve never had a HD smaller than 500Gb and store what I don’t need on multiple external drives. I have two complete backups of my HD, one a bootable clone and the other Time Machine and I now keep a USB thumb drive with a bootable installer for my current macOS.
    I also store copies of most of my documents on OneDrive. I have found it to be more reliable, accessible and faster than iCloud.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

iCloud Drive Issues
    Yeah, I’m a backup fanatic: CCC, Time Machine, BackBlaze.

I only use cloud storage for stuff I need to share or might need when I’m away from home.

The router at my condo is behind a double NAT, so having stuff on a cloud server has been handy. But, I finally got around to setting up a reverse SSH tunnel, so moving stuff from place to place is now a lot easier.

It’s too bad that iCloud, old as it is, turns out to be too unreliable for ordinary use.

iCloud Drive Issues
    There has to be more to this than just an iCloud Drive sync failure.

Yesterday I had to go to Immigration. I got a couple of pages of stamps in my Passport. I scanned those pages and copied to iCloud Drive. Both pages, rather large JPEG files, almost instantly synced across all devices. And yet the troublesome file from the other day (a PDF) was still MIA.

So, I saved the MIA PDF as a JPEG using Graphic Converted and it instantly synced. (The PDF is about 26K, the JPEG version is almost 2MB.)

Other PDFs sync OK, so it's just that one PDF. So odd. It has the same ownership and permissions as all the other files in that directory. No ACL.

So, what could it be?

iCloud Drive Issues
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Exactly where are you saving these files that are not syncing? Also, how are you looking for them on your iOS devices?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

iCloud Drive Issues
    Gee, I sure didn't know or realize some of these "iCloud Drive features"... maybe some some users might want to realize what's going on... and some may account for some automatic features and "missing files"...

With iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, Apple has made a number of key changes to iCloud Drive.

Files you add to your desktop are automatically loaded to your iCloud Drive. Here they can be accessed on other iOS 10 or macOS Sierra devices.
    Documents Folder. All files and folders you place inside your Documents folder are synced automatically to iCloud Drive.
    Optimized Storage in the Cloud. Files you store on your Desktop and Documents folder are synced with iCloud Drive. If you start to run low on space on your Mac, it'll free up files you rarely used. These will be stored online and you can access them in macOS when you have an internet connection.
    These features join Documents In The Cloud. This is where documents you create in supporting apps (such as Pages, Numbers and TextEdit) are automatically placed inside folders inside your iCloud Drive.

The new features are a game-changer for iCloud Drive. The ability to sync all the files in your Documents and Desktop make them easily available across all your machines. All files you create inside apps are also stored online, and it automatically manages space on light machines, such as a MacBook Air.

Other apps, such as Photos and Mail, also use your iCloud Drive storage space. But this is managed outside of the iCloud Drive folder structure.
    How to use iCloud Drive on Mac, iPad & iPhone - Macworld UK

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information