Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My mac started to overheat when i close it and overall performance sucks
    Ok so my mac performance kinda sucked for a while but i wasnt learning code before and so involved with so i didnt care. Now tho the performance becamse real **** and when i close it for it to go to sleep like i always used to, within a minute or so, processor and the fan go crazy and it overheats within seconds. I downloaded cleanmymac and it says my ram is taken up like 99% pretty much. As im typing this i have 40mb ram left. When i close the browser i have 800mb left. When i check my activity monitor it says i have 3g ram taken up and 1g left, and when i close the browser it says i have 2.5g taken up and 1.5 left. So those values clearly dont match, so ya its pretty confusing, anyone else had this? can you help?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to our forums.

We need more information. Which Mac do you have - model and year? Version of OS X? How much hard drive space is free? And, most important... get rid of Clean My Mac as it sometimes is an agressive tool which will get you in trouble by "cleaning" too much. And don't worry about your system memory as OS X handles it best. And if you're by chance using any kind of Anti Virus software, get rid of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Welcome to our forums.

We need more information. Which Mac do you have - model and year? Version of OS X? How much hard drive space is free? And, most important... get rid of Clean My Mac as it sometimes is an agressive tool which will get you in trouble by "cleaning" too much. And don't worry about your system memory as OS X handles it best. And if you're by chance using any kind of Anti Virus software, get rid of that too.
    i have a A1278 late 2011 model
    1tb hardtive of which half of is still free. 2.8 ghz intel core i7. i never used any antivirus on my mac as i was aware that theye arent good for macs. im still using el capitan as i read that some new sierra features isnt somthin i want. tho i just read its imprtant to update the os

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    OK, it sounds like you have enough hard drive space. You didn't mention memory but you should have a least 4 GB on that machine. If you're running El Capitan, try running a check on your hard drive. Boot to recovery (command + r) and run Disk Utility First Aid on the hard drive to see if anything shows up.

It could be that your pushing your MacBook Pro real hard with whatever you're doing and that revs up the fan from the heat that's generated. Probably a good idea to keep the lid open until the machine cools down before you put it to sleep by closing it. You might want to download and run software that measures heat, rpm, and CPU. Take a look at iStat Menus.

ya i have 4g and its uaage is always up to 3.2g when i use rhe internet and 2.5 when im not. but cleanmymac is showing its using 3.9 on the internet and 3 when the browser is closed. i clicked command+r but it doesnt do anything. is there a program i should open to hit thay command. also wanted to say. it runs crazy slow offline but the browser is normal. if i want to open any folder or anything, its like asking a mentally challenged person....it takes sometimes up to a minute to open.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    1. Rid yourself of CleanMyMac.

2. Command R is only when you boot up, immediately after the chime. It will do nothing during general browsing.

3. Download Onyx the recommended cleaning utility here. Make sure you download the El Capitan version (link below) and no other 'cleaning' apps such as Mackeeper etc.

4. Pop anoher 4GB of memory in.

5. With a notebook in particular may be time for a erase and install.

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    As harry mentioned...run the free maintenance app called Onyx. You also mentioned "sleeping" the computer when done. This is fine most of the time...rebooting occasionally can help.

I also have a 2011 MacBook Pro. And it still does pretty good with most things. I also upgraded the RAM to 8gig. Try Onyx first.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

i dunno...i dont think its normal for my fan and processor to go haywire when i close my cover. it never used to do that. can downloading a bad font do that to my system? i recently installed two fonts that my mac recomnded not to. so press command r when i start up my mac right aftrt it makes that classic mac sound? im thinking i want to reboot my whole systm anyways. and get 16g ram since ill be uaing adobe alot. so is onyx similar to cleanmymac but as i gathered its more trusted?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagnito View Post
    so is onyx similar to cleanmymac but as i gathered its more trusted?
    Onyx = More Trusted

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Don't close the lid, your MBP will run routine maintenance scripts to keep your MBP and Mac OS El Capitan running smooth. Let it go to sleep with the lid open, make sure the MBP is on a flat hard surface.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

ok so i tried first aid. reinstall os. format disk. none of it helped. you guys think my hard drive is dying?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    I dunno .... did you uninstall cleanmymac and other suggestions.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

well ya...formatting deleted everything.

us ckeabmy mac wasnt something ihad before the problem occurred

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagnito View Post
    ok so i tried first aid. reinstall os. format disk. none of it helped. you guys think my hard drive is dying?
    If you did a complete HD erase & reformat...and a fresh OS install. I would say the HD is the problem. Time for a new one.

Consider yourself lucky that it did not fail completely...and maybe some data loss (if you didn't have a backup).

- Nick

Thread Information