Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ya...i think it might be a good thing...now ill get to get a ssd which i hadnt even known about till few days ago. pretty excited to get one and more ram

do you guys know if i go to apple store and get a free diagnos, will i HAVE to repair it there or is it just a service they provide for all mac users?

i also did a hardware diagnostic test with the bootup D and showed no trouble found either

My mac started to overheat when i close it and overall performance sucks
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagnito View Post
    do you guys know if i go to apple store and get a free diagnos, will i HAVE to repair it there or is it just a service they provide for all mac users?
    Apple stores will run diagnostics for free, and tell you their pricing options. They may find out other issues with your Mac as well. Then you can make your decision.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

thanks

ok so i changed to 500g ssd.HOLY **** my macis running like an olympian athlete. it boots up in like 20 seconds. eveythin openz up instantly. when i closethe lid for itto go tosleep it goes to sleep within 5 seconds andno more overheating problems. BUT now i noticed it still overheat like craaaazy during dow loading large files and alightly right when it bootsupfor a few seconds. i hear theseweird electric sounds comingdrom my motherboard when ita quietin the room or ifi put my ear to it. it sounds like morse code. i pray it isnt my processor.i have a 2.8 i would be crazy sad if is the processor.

ok so i changed to 500g ssd.HOLY **** my macis running like an olympian athlete. it boots up in like 20 seconds. eveythin openz up instantly.
    Great!

BUT now i noticed it still overheat like craaaazy during dow loading large files and alightly right when it bootsupfor a few seconds.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, since overheating was always a problem with Mac laptops, at least before they got vents on the back edge (yours being a 2011 model, it doesn't have any, does it?). Still, i would suggest getting a fan, which costs like 20-30 bucks, in order to spare your Mac's components in the long run. I found it to be very effective when the Mac heats up.

i hear theseweird electric sounds comingdrom my motherboard when ita quietin the room or ifi put my ear to it. it sounds like morse code. i pray it isnt my processor.i have a 2.8 i would be crazy sad if is the processor.
    Ok, that's a little freaky, but are you sure the noise is coming from the lower part of the computer? I mean, when my former Macbook started making weird clicking noises, i was told it might either be the hard drive - it was an HDD though, i don't see why your SSD would make that kind of noises - or the top lid (AKA the screen). And in my case, it turned out to be both: Apple changed both of them for free, since it happened like a year after i bought it.

Just a thought...
    Last edited by Soham; 04-14-2017 at 09:08 PM.

ya it wasnt the ssd thats making the noise but the topleft corner right where the battery chargin port is. i downloaded fan control app and put my fan to start workin when temp goes above 60 on core cpu 2. and past two days my browser started crashin and today it crashed to a point that the loading spinnin icon prevented me from being able to force quit and i had to press btn to restart. sometimes a websitr will take my cpu all the way up to 100+% andtakes all my ram

ya it wasnt the ssd thats making the noise but the topleft corner right where the battery chargin port is. i downloaded fan control app and put my fan to start workin when temp goes above 60 on core cpu 2. and past two days my browser started crashin and today it crashed to a point that the loading spinnin icon prevented me from being able to force quit and i had to press btn to restart. sometimes a websitr will take my cpu all the way up to 100+% andtakes all my ram
    Ok, that sucks.

I was talking about a physical external fan, the kind that goes under the laptop - between it and the table or your lap - and plugs into a usb port. i swear it makes things better. About your browser problem, do you have and regularily run Onyx and Malwarebytes?

You may just have an overheating problem on top of a software problem? Does your browser crash when the charging port is making noises? Is it plugged when the browser crashes? Is the Mac overheating in the mean time?
    Last edited by Soham; 04-14-2017 at 09:32 PM.

nah i dob run any external anti viral or anytyoe software. it never overheats anymore unless the cpu usage goes thru the roof because either theres a type crash happening and ReportCrash and syslogd and asl manager taking all the cpu. or if i load a page online that will somehow take all my cpu or if i download a large file

nah i dob run any external anti viral or anytyoe software. it never overheats anymore unless the cpu usage goes thru the roof because either theres a type crash happening and ReportCrash and syslogd and asl manager taking all the cpu. or if i load a page online that will somehow take all my cpu or if i download a large file
    Ok. As you can read pretty much anywhere on this forum, you should probably have those two applications installed. Don't worry, they don't slow your computer down, since they don't constantly run in the background. And both of them are free.

Onyx is a maintenance app that checks your disk and fixes errors to it when you start up the app, helps you maintain your system (repairs authorizations, cleans your caches etc.) when you choose to do so, and gives you access to otherwise hidden options on your Mac (like quit Finder to relaunch it, view hidden files, etc.). If you never had that type of maintenance done it could probably be a part of your problem, as the registery makes mistakes overtime, so the computer goes looking in the wrong path when you order it to do something, which can slow it way down and even cause freezes or minor crashes since it uses up resources for nothing.

Malwarebytes checks your system for malwares (once again, not all the time in the background, only when you choose to run the app), and even though there are no viruses for Macs, malwares do exist and can cause unjustified CPU/RAM usage, so i think it's definitely something for you to look into at this point.

And BTW, when did you download Fan control? Cause it kinda sounds like your browser didn't use to crash before you installed that program, which obviously runs in the background at all times... I would definitely start by getting rid of it in order to make sure it's not what's making it crash.

If none of this helps, you might want to make screenshots of your OSX Activity Monitor utility, so i (or hopefully someone more qualified than me) can help you figure out what's wrong. For instance, it shows the size of your swap file: do you restart your computer once a day (or more, if you're a heavy user) or at the very least every other day? Cause if you only put it to sleep, the swap file doesn't reset the way it should and can get pretty big, causing real resources issues, too.
    Last edited by Soham; 04-15-2017 at 05:41 AM.

ok ill download those. as far fan control i downloaded after the problem. and i used to almos never shut it down. i do now atleast once per day.

Thread Information