Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Carbon Copy Cloner

Your Mac's Specs
    2 iMacs OS X 10.15.2, 10.13.6;2 iPhones iOS 13.3;iPads 12.4.4;iWatch 4.3.2
    Carbon Copy Cloner
    A couple of years ago I installed CCC because I was given to understand that:

1. This would ensure that, provided I had cloned before updating my OSX, I could revert to the way it was beforehand
    2. A restoration from Time Machine would not enable me to restore the OS X as it was beforehand

It seems to me that the ideal would be able to retain the OS X as it was before an update without at the same time incorporating personal files, which are already kept on Time Machine or a Time Capsule.

Is there a way to do that? As some of you may have seen I have had a struggle to do an erase/install on a 2010 iMac that I want to sell. In the end I had to use the original Snow Leopard DVDs and couldn't eject it without installing Snow Leopard.

BTW the Bombich sales team say that it isn't possible just to retrieve the OSX from CCC without also retrieving personal files.

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    If you are running the latest version of CCC open it up then, under the Source Disk you will see a drop down menu which gives the options; All Files or Some Files. If you select Some Files you then have the options to select exactly what you want or don't want cloned, or so it appears.

I am a 'belt & braces' man and as far as I am concerned you can't have too many different forms of back up!

Carbon Copy Cloner

Your Mac's Specs
    2 iMacs OS X 10.15.2, 10.13.6;2 iPhones iOS 13.3;iPads 12.4.4;iWatch 4.3.2
    Sounds logical but unfortunately the chap at Bombich said this:

"In short no, you can not restore just the OS from a CCC backup. THe macOS installer is the way to go there. I suppose you could restore from the last backup, create a new account, then delete your account, but at the end of the day it is likely that personal information could still reside on the computer."

I don't think I would be prepared to take that risk.

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    I frequently test CCC clones by booting from the external disk that contains the clone and they always work. Then I reboot from the HD and everything is back to normal.

Why don't you try out a clone with the items you don't want excluded and see what happens? Can't do any harm.

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You can boot and restore from Time Machine, as long as you have Mac OS X Lion (10.7.3) or later, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250. I just did restored from TM on Wednesday, it took about three hours in total.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    What Bob is referring to (above) is an EFI boot using a Time Machine backup. And yes, it does work as I have tested this myself. However, it's slow, and if you do not have a fast reliable connection, you may be in for a daunting task. Best to use CCC or SuperDuper! No fuss, no muss, no cuss.

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    You can boot and restore from Time Machine, as long as you have Mac OS X Lion (10.7.3) or later, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250. I just did restored from TM on Wednesday, it took about three hours in total.
    Why isn't this more widely known? I thought CCC's or SuperDuper's USP was that it could be booted from, unlike Time Machine. I use two external drives for Time Machine, which alternates back ups between them. Only two weeks ago I purchased another drive solely for CCC. Seems I was mislead.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

MacInWin
    Sawday, note the "footnote" in chscag's post: "However, it's slow, and if you do not have a fast reliable connection, you may be in for a daunting task." Slow is sort of an understatement. Syrup in winter will look like a speed demon. You'll be glad of that CCC drive if you ever need it!

For Alwyn, your best approach is what I did--nuke and pave install, then after it's installed abort the first boot at the welcome screen and voila!, a clean drive, none of your data, ready for a buyer to receive as if it were a never used machine. You can do that nuke/pave install with a bootable USB stick. Download the version of your choice, use diskmakerX to create a bootable USB with the installer on it and boot from that to do the nuke/pave.

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
    Why isn't this more widely known? I thought CCC's or SuperDuper's USP was that it could be booted from, unlike Time Machine. I use two external drives for Time Machine, which alternates back ups between them. Only two weeks ago I purchased another drive solely for CCC. Seems I was mislead.
    The issue arises, when you have a failed drive, then this way will not work, unless you have the bootable USB installer.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    The issue arises, when you have a failed drive, then this way will not work, unless you have the bootable USB installer.
    You're right Bob. If whatever causes the drive problem messes up the recovery partition then you are left with either using a previously made bootable USB stick or using Internet. After that is complete you could then restore from Time Machine backups.

I prefer cloning, using whatever software one prefers, because I am back up and running much faster.In fact, in most cases, you could boot from the clone and run the machine that way for an extended period of time until you test the internal drive, purchase a replacement, and get the drive installed and set up properly. I did it a few years ago with the hard drive in my Mac Pro. When the drive failed I booted from the clone and was back up and running literally in the time it took to boot the machine. It took a total of about five days before I could contact Apple, receive the replacement drive, reload everything and then boot from the new drive. I was running from the clone the entire time.

I keep a reasonably current clone around and use it in conjunction with Time Machine. That way I can boot from the clone and use Time Machine to restore documents created since the last clone.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    My "Restore From Time Machine" took just about 3 hours for about 305GB using USB 3 enclosure with 5400rpm drive. Would SuperDuper!, or Carbon Copy Cloner, be that much faster?
    -- Bob --

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I've never timed it but I suspect the restore time might be similar. That's not what's important to me about the clone though. With a clone in place I can boot from the clone and keep working until I have time to fully troubleshoot the problem. You can't do that with Time Machine backups since AFAIK you cannot run from the backup.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Sawday

Like you, I have two Time Machine (TM) backups, alternating BUs between them. That's for everyday use - getting back that app, document, file that got messed up or inadvertently deleted.

I also have two EHDs with SuperDuper! (SD!) on them. Totally different purpose - as set out by Sly and others.

Hard Drives whether Internal or External fail eventually - or sooner! That's why I have 2 of each type of BU.

Ian
    Ian

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    As Time Machine is being discussed here I just thought I would share some information with you.

I have been using Time Machine since my present iMac was purchased, about two and a half years ago. It backs up to a 1GB external drive every hour, which is about one third full and has saved my life a number of times.

So where is this going? The external drive is old and was making strange noises so I decided to change it and settled on a Seagate Slim. I assumed that all I would have to do was drag the file from the old drive to the new drive and this was confirmed by Apple with a few additional instructions and the phrase, 'Copying your backup data might take some time' but no indication how long.

'Some time' took two days and nights!!

Carbon Copy Cloner
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    So where is this going? The external drive is old and was making strange noises so I decided to change it and settled on a Seagate Slim. I assumed that all I would have to do was drag the file from the old drive to the new drive and this was confirmed by Apple with a few additional instructions and the phrase, 'Copying your backup data might take some time' but no indication how long.

'Some time' took two days and nights!!
    I experienced the same thing, but instead of pressing on I decided to just start over with my Time Machine backups. Personally, I see no point in keeping Time Machine backups for an unwieldy length of time. How useful are they, say, after 6 months? Might be for some folks but not for me. Besides, I make two CCC backups which are really what I rely on to get me going in case of a disaster.

Thread Information