Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

New to Mac, very un happy with the way it leaves old users stranded in Limbo!
    Hi this is my first post.

Long story short I bought an old refurbished Mac Pro. It has a 6 core processor, 32gb Ram and various other upgrades. its pretty powerful.
    Currently its running Lion 10.7.5.

I bought this Mac so I can use it as a DAW for my recording studio in conjunction with Protools HD 8.
    its all well and good, but If I try to update the OS I get a message saying that this machine can't be updated (despite being powerful enough).
    I want to start editing my go pro videos on it but the Gopro apps won't run on anything lower than 10.9.0. and the same applies to most other video editing software.

I'm also having issues connecting my iPhone 6 too.

I am aware that I can do various "hacks" to allow my system to upgrade, but My edition of protools can't be used on anything higher than 10.8.0.

I am literally caught in the middle, its driving me nuts! If this was a Windows computer I could put whatever I want on it as long as it was powerful enough.
    why does apple have so many useless restrictions?

Also, My google Chrom app updated itself and now I can't open it. And I can't find an older version online.

I am so hacked off!!

It seems the only option is to spend 5k on a new mac pro and also be forced to spend an additional 5k on the latest protools HD rig.

Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done?

This shouldn't be taken as criticism, but it is always good to do your research before buying a computer. There haven't been many Mac Pro's released so you are looking at machine that is clearly/nearly a decade plus old. Maintaining an arbitrary generations of hardware becomes quite burdensome and thus Apple chooses to support a certain group of hardware.

Windows might work on a variety of hardware, but it's really the various vendors that need to provide support for the different pieces of hardware on your machine to make everything work. Apple, on the other hand, is required to provide you full support for all the components..

Anyway..this is neither here nor there. Your machine is officially old and stuck where it is. You will not be able to use it with newer versions of software like iTunes, Chrome and so on. You just have to use software from that "that" era to make things work.

I don't have any experience/knowledge of Protools, so can't provide any guidance there..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to our forums.

As our moderator stated... you're running a very old machine. What did you expect?

I am literally caught in the middle, its driving me nuts! If this was a Windows computer I could put whatever I want on it as long as it was powerful enough.
    why does apple have so many useless restrictions?
    Then perhaps you should consider buying a Windows box and use Pro Tools there instead of on a Mac? Also, you're not being realistic about Windows computers. From experience, there have been many times when software (and even some hardware) that I was using was rendered useless when Microsoft decided they would no longer support it.

Manufacturers are not going to stand still for you or I because our hardware or software is dated. Sorry about you having spent money on an older Mac Pro, but it's time to move on.

Hmm. I deliberately bought an older model of MacBookPro recently (3 months ago) but still "brand new", as in not refurbished. First time in my life i didn't get the latest model, but i don't regret it for a second, as i had good reason for that (absolutely wanted a superdrive and to be able to customize the laptop, plus it came with a 2,9 gHz processor) and it works great! But i checked before purchase that it was the latest model of MBP that had a dvd burner and could be customized: mid-2012 (really OLD, for a computer, which made me think twice), and it still came with El Capitan (MacOS 10.11). So if 10.7 was provided with yours, the computer's gotta be VERY old, like late 2009 or something!

And software compatibility was always the issue with Macs: applications too old to run when you upgrade your OS, too new when you don't. Don't know about your specific ones, though, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by bmxlee View Post
    It seems the only option is to spend 5k on a new mac pro and also be forced to spend an additional 5k on the latest protools HD rig.
    5,000 on a new MacBook Pro??? We use € in my country and i'm not that good when it comes to keeping up to date to convert currencies, but come on... I believe a newest MBP, which would cost between €1,600 and €2,000 for a 13-inch laptop, and up to €2,800 for 15-inch at the most, would be less expensive in ... Go to the Apple Store online and check the prices, because your evaluation seems crazy to me, even for the latest brand-new machine with the best configuration possible.
    Last edited by Soham; 03-30-2017 at 12:30 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxlee View Post
    Long story short I bought an old refurbished Mac Pro. It has a 6 core processor, 32gb Ram and various other upgrades. its pretty powerful.
    Currently its running Lion 10.7.5.

its all well and good, but If I try to update the OS I get a message saying that this machine can't be updated (despite being powerful enough).
    Somethings not quite right here. The oldest 6-core Mac Pro is from 2010. And this model Mac Pro is capable of running the latest OS.

I would say double check the number of cores your Mac Pro has...since 4-core and 8-core Mac Pro's from the 2006 & 2007 vintage that are limited to OS 10.7.5.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Soham View Post
    5,000 on a new MacBook Pro???
    I think there's a bit of confusion here. OP is talking about a desktop Mac Pro. You're talking about a portable MacBook Pro. Very different.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    You answered your problem 'I bought an old refurbished Mac Pro'. A 2006/2007 Mac Pro 1 or 2, are currently worth about $200 and that budget will never do what you want.

Alas for your needs you needed a much newer Mac Pro and upgrade your tools. And by the sounds of things, as Nick says this is a 2006 model seriously limited by the 32bit Firmware.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

LOL ok, it was really early over here, i didn't even notice he wrote Mac Pro, not MacBook Pro. Won't try to answer topics anymore before my morning coffee had a chance to kick in.

Thread Information