Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

iMac 2007 boot hotkeys don't work
    My friend gave me his old iMac (2006, intel core 2 duo, completely white with 20-something-inch screen) running OS X Leopard, encouraging me to update it as much as I can and do whatever I wanted with it. Because it couldn't get past Snow Leopard, I decided to test it's limits with other OSes, and so I tried to boot from the Windows install disk, it was at least worth a shot. I changed the boot option from System Preferences. The computer failed to boot from the disk, which wasn't the real problem. The real problem was I thought I could easily switch back to the Mac hard drive by booting to the startup manager at boot with the option key like on my MacBook Pro. To my surprise, nothing ever happens when I press the key at boot. No hotkey works at boot.
    -I checked, and Snow Leopard should have these hotkeys, even those with pre-intel processors
    -I tried multiple keyboards in multiple usb ports

Any idea how to fix this? Get hotkeys to work? Somehow get it do something without the hotkeys?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by mariomaster; 03-28-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to our forums.

A 2007 iMac is an Intel machine. So what machine do you have? Snow Leopard will not run on a pre Intel machine (PPC) and certainly Windows can not. Again, which machine do you have?

iMac 2006 with intel core 2 duo. Sorry, because I couldn't boot the OS, I had to do a bit more digging to find the specifics.

Your Mac's Specs
    If the 2006 iMac is working OK, it should boot straight to whatever version of OS X is on the hard drive. Try doing a PRAM reset and see if you can get it to boot. If you tried everything and it still won't boot, it may have a dead hard drive.

You see, that's the issue. Is there a way to reset the PRAM without using hotkeys at boot or not in OS X?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by mariomaster View Post
    You see, that's the issue. Is there a way to reset the PRAM without using hotkeys at boot or not in OS X?
    If no response from the keyboard, you can not reset the PRAM. Instead, try a SMC reset. Power down, pull the plug from AC and let it set for 5 - 10 minutes. Then try powering it up and see if it will boot. If it still won't do anything, it could be a bad power supply or who knows? A machine that old could have several things which are not working. Don't waste too much time on it.

This is an article from 2007 about start-up keys on Macs. Don't forget for some options, you should have one of the install cd/dvd in the superdrive before you start up the computer holding those keys.

http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/06/11-st...or-intel-macs/

And when it comes to using Windows on your machine, you first have to create a Windows partition on your hard drive (using disk utility), install and run Bootcamp (i don't remember it being preinstalled on older OS like it is now, but i could be wrong though), and FYI, i believe those older Macs cannot handle more recent systems than Windows XP - or Vista maybe, if you're willing to install that... thing...

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    DO NOT use Disk Utility to set up the new partition as BootCamp simply does not work that way.

Start BootCamp Assistant from Utilities, and let it set up the partition, and procced with the install. A Mac of that vintage would run best on XP or Windows 7. You will need the full version on a CD, together with the activation code. Suggest printing and reading guidelines first up.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    DO NOT use Disk Utility to set up the new partition as BootCamp simply does not work that way.

Start BootCamp Assistant from Utilities, and let it set up the partition
    Ok, my bad, sorry.

Thread Information