Stuck in Mac OS 10.6.6?
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Some people can get confused about update and upgrade when it comes to Mac OSX.

10.6.(any #) is still Snow Leopard. 10.7.(any #) is Lion. Are you wanting to upgrade to Lion or simply update Snow Leopard? If it's just a matter of updating to the latest version of SL (10.6.8), you'll want to back everything up as a precaution and then run Software Update on your Mac. It's free and won't have any affect on your current installed apps.

hi, my mac is on 10.6.6 and i want to update to 10.6.8 so i can later upgrade to later versions, however when i select the software update, it tells me that there are no new updates available. We've been stuck on 10.6.6 for years now since we werent able to utilize this mac completely. We've attempted updating before but it never really worked since it keeps on freezing. thank you. i hope we will be able to fix this. from my research it seems my mac is still compatible with the newer softwares

Stuck in Mac OS 10.6.6?
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Good Afternoon, jobitankiok and a very warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

I am neither an Admin or a Moderator, but I would have thought it wiser to begin a new Thread rather than tag on to one which is 5 years old. You would get more attention & quicker responses.

For the moment, however, may I ask you to give us the precise details about your Mac. Model or type of Mac, year, amount of RAM, capacity of your HD and how much free (unused) space is left.

Most of this info can be found by clicking on the Apple icon, far left of Menu Bar and choose "About This Mac". Disk Utility might add some further details about storage capacity and free space.

We need this to confirm compatibility of any further updates or upgrades and to get a "feel" of what sort of Mac we are dealing with.

Ian
    Ian

Stuck in Mac OS 10.6.6?
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You can get the 10.6.8 "Combo Update" here, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Stuck in Mac OS 10.6.6?
    Okay, I know this may sound a little ancient and weird to you... but I'm still stuck in 10.6.6! We weren't able to use our iMac for years! Anyway, I've read a lot of articles concerning software upgrades.

First, I had to select 'software update' so it will be updated to the latest version of Snow Leopard which is 10.6.8.
    From there, I can upgrade to newer versions so they say.

But whenever I update it it gets stuck to the default purple galaxy wallpaper. We left it like that for one day hoping it would finish installing, but it never did.

I downloaded 'MacOSXUpd.10.6.8.dmg' or something like that, but it says 'Mac OS X update can't be installed in this disk. This update requires Mac OS X 10.6.7 or later'.
    So I looked for a different combo updater.

This one's MacOSXUpd.10.6.7.dmg. It says Mac OS X Update Combined can't be installed in this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements of this update.

These were the answers I found in other people's forum where we share the same problem. I just sort of clicked the link they gave.

Help please? We really need this. I've been trying and trying for hours. Can anyone give me a detailed step by step solution?
    Also, the updates don't show up in the App Store as supposed to.
    There are also other important apps that can't be found there like MS Word. I dunno, it just seems so lacking with so many things.

About Our Mac :

Mac OS X Version 10.6.6
    Processor : 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory : 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk : MacintoshHD

Hardware Overview

Model Name : iMac
    Model Identifier : iMac 12.1
    Processor Name : Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed : 2.5 GHz
    Number of Processors : 1
    Total Number of Cores : 4
    L2 Cache (per Core) : 256 KB
    L3 Cache : 6MB
    Memory : 4GB

472.05 GB free
    499.76 GB total

Any help would be appreciated.
    I really hope there are other things I can do about this.
    Thank you.

Stuck in Mac OS 10.6.6?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Good thought, Bob. I had forgotten that possibility. Still nice to know a touch more about the OP's Mac.

Ian
    Ian

Stuck in Mac OS 10.6.6?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Answers to your post are to be found in your first Thread - http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-opera...tml?highlight=

I take some blame for your double post because I did suggest that tagging on to a 5 year old thread wasn't the best idea, but I'm not an Admin or Moderator and can't move your original post - in the meantime, replies have been posted for you!!

Ian
    Ian

Stuck in Mac OS 10.6.6?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Threads have been combined. Thanks Ian.

Stuck in Mac OS 10.6.6?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, macOS X.15.3,.
    The App Store was available in OS X.6.6 so you should be able to access it. You will need a current Apple ID to get anything from the store. This comprises an account with your email address and a password, not your log in password. Your mid 2011 21.5" iMac can run Sierra OS X.12, so you can see how far your are behind the times. Do a backup to an external hard drive first if you do not currently do this and I strongly suggest vsiting OWC and getting 2 x 2GB of memory to increase to 8GB, a minimum for later operating systems to work anywhere near effiently. I have included a link to Apple ID and OWC memory.

https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memo...1/DDR3_21.5_27
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information