Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Unhappy File sharing won't quit
    I connected my wife's laptop to mine with a thunderbolt cable to try to save files she could not access. We eventually did a clean install. Both are early 2012 Macbook Pros with retina using Sierra. Now everything we put on the desktop is shared with the other. File sharing has been turned off of both in settings to no effect. How do I get them to quit?

MacInWin
    Welcome to the forum.

Have you disconnected the cable? I think we are going to need more information from you to start on the problem. How did you set up the sharing in the first place? Which machine got the clean install? Did you restore from a backup after the install? Does the sharing go both ways? What have you tried besides turn off file sharing? How did you turn off file sharing?

File sharing won't quit
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @remadepreacher

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

There are numerous ways of sharing files:

File Sharing; Handoff; Air Drop; via iMessage; Dropbox; iCloud Drive, to name but a few.

I don't know what method you used, but -

To turn off File Sharing > System Preferences > Sharing > and Uncheck "File Sharing" within the box on the left. Do this on both Macs. No harm in rebooting them too.

To turn off Handoff > System Preferences > General > and Uncheck the box "Allow Handoff between....".

I'm slightly puzzled by your use of a direct Thunderbolt connection between your 2 Macs - do you mean you were using Target Disk Mode? That stops the minute you break the connection and reboot the Macs.

A touch more info about what you did would help.

Ian
    Ian

Ian, my wife's computer had a black screen toward the end of start up. I attached the thunderbolts to try solving the trouble using my display. It was unsuccessful. Not only is the cable disconnected, this was a month ago and we are currently in different countries. We had only a few files backed up. All boxes are unchecked in sharing in both. I've now unchecked handoff to icloud devices on mine. We'll see if that makes a difference.

MacInWin
    Do you have any cloud syncing applications (iCloud, Dropbox, etc) on the machines? It almost sounds like you have set the Desktop as the shared folder in those services.

File sharing won't quit
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    That makes sense Jake, if they ar sharing the same Apple ID, and everything is backed up to iCloud.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

File sharing won't quit
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Yes, nice one Jake. Let's see what the OP tells us.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information