Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angry Computer restart alone after screen turn off
    When I leave the computer working, after a while I find the home screen and force me to enter again. I searched for the settings but found nothing unusual. Another problem is that sometimes it does not recognize external drives and forces me to restart the computer.
    Will it be necessary to do an SMC restart?
    I hope some help
    Josef

I have a Macbook Air 11 early 2015 with OSx El Capitan

MacInWin
    Josef, that is how the system works. If you don't press any keys for a while, it goes to sleep. When you press any key, it starts to wake up, but requires you to log in to make sure you are the proper user. You can control the sleep times in System Preferences/Energy Saver.

As for external drives, some HDs have "sleep" functions internally, so when they are not accessed for a while, they stop spinning to save energy. When the OS tries to access the drive, it takes too long for the drive to spin up to the proper speed again and the OS assumes that the drive has been disconnected. There are two things you can try at that point: you can look in Disk Utility to try to mount the drive manually (I've not had much success with that myself), or you can just unplug and re-plug the drive into the MBA. That unplug/re-plug action triggers the OS to start looking at that port again and now the drive responds in time for it to be mounted.

Hope that helped.

Computer restart alone after screen turn off
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by carel View Post
    When I leave the computer working, after a while I find the home screen and force me to enter again.
    Do you mean the Mac restarts? Or just locks the screen?

Another problem is that sometimes it does not recognize external drives and forces me to restart the computer.
    Will it be necessary to do an SMC restart?
    I hope some help
    Josef

I have a Macbook Air 11 early 2015 with OSx El Capitan
    I would suggest the following:
    1. Backup (I'm sure you do this anyway. I wouldn't expect anything suggested to cause issues but I'd always recommend backing up prior to any kind of change)
    2. Got to Titanium Software, download and install Onyx for El Capitain
    3. Run Onyx and run everything on the 'Automation' Tab.
    4. Perform an SMC Reset as per these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    Do you mean the Mac restarts? Or just locks the screen?

I would suggest the following:
    1. Backup (I'm sure you do this anyway. I wouldn't expect anything suggested to cause issues but I'd always recommend backing up prior to any kind of change)
    2. Got to Titanium Software, download and install Onyx for El Capitain
    3. Run Onyx and run everything on the 'Automation' Tab.
    4. Perform an SMC Reset as per these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295
    Yes, my Mac reboots and I need to log in again. I use the Clean my Mac 3 and I also have a good backup. But would you like to know if there is any risk in doing SMC restart?

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Josef, that is how the system works. If you don't press any keys for a while, it goes to sleep. When you press any key, it starts to wake up, but requires you to log in to make sure you are the proper user. You can control the sleep times in System Preferences/Energy Saver.

As for external drives, some HDs have "sleep" functions internally, so when they are not accessed for a while, they stop spinning to save energy. When the OS tries to access the drive, it takes too long for the drive to spin up to the proper speed again and the OS assumes that the drive has been disconnected. There are two things you can try at that point: you can look in Disk Utility to try to mount the drive manually (I've not had much success with that myself), or you can just unplug and re-plug the drive into the MBA. That unplug/re-plug action triggers the OS to start looking at that port again and now the drive responds in time for it to be mounted.

Hope that helped.

I do not think it is right to log on when you wake up. On the other hand this happens later or during the work of Time Machine, and this is sure that does not seem right. As for the external drive, I mean a USB drive, which has no sleep mechanism.

I do not think it is right to log on when you wake up.
    Yes, it can be, depending on the settings...

Go to System preferences/Security and privacy: if the first box on the General tab is checked (and i believe it is by default), it makes perfect sense the computer asks for your password when it wakes up, since the box says: Request password [period of time] after sleep or screen saver begins.

You can either choose to pick a longer time than the default one, or uncheck the box - which i wouldn't recommend on a laptop, but hey, your computer, your way!
    Last edited by Soham; 03-10-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
    You'll be fine following those instructions

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Your Mac's Specs
    That's the default setting unless it's been purposefully changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Soham View Post
    Yes, it can be, depending on the settings...

Go to System preferences/Security and privacy: if the first box on the General tab is checked (and i believe it is by default), it makes perfect sense the computer asks for your password when it wakes up, since the box says: Request password [period of time] after sleep or screen saver begins.

You can either choose to pick a longer time than the default one, or uncheck the box - which i wouldn't recommend on a laptop, but hey, your computer, your way!
    The box is not checked

The box is not checked
    Well, then i guess Filevault is activated on your Mac, as i believe it overrules that setting for security reasons. You won't be able to completely turn off that password requirement unless you turn off Filevault itself.

If you do not wish to deactivate Filevault, you can still try to get around it by checking the box and picking the longest period of time available (8 hours). If you try it, please let me know if works, out of curiosity (as mine is set to 5 minutes and i don't intend on changing it).

If Filevault is not activated, then i really don't know what to tell you, sorry.

Well, then i guess Filevault is activated on your Mac, as i believe it overrules that setting for security reasons. You won't be able to completely turn off that password requirement unless you turn off Filevault itself.

If you do not wish to deactivate Filevault, you can still try to get around it by checking the box and picking the longest period of time available (8 hours). If you try it, please let me know if works, out of curiosity (as mine is set to 5 minutes and i don't intend on changing it).

If Filevault is not activated, then i really don't know what to tell you, sorry.

Filevault is not activated

Filevault is not activated
    Sorry then, i really don't have a clue how or even if you can make your Mac stop prompting for your password after sleep (always had Filevault on my Macs and wished to have it require password). Hopefully someone else can help you better with your situation. Good luck, and let us know if you manage!

Sorry then, i really don't have a clue how or even if you can make your Mac stop prompting for your password after sleep (always had Filevault on my Macs and wished to have it require password). Hopefully someone else can help you better with your situation. Good luck, and let us know if you manage!

Thank you very much for your help

Thank you very much for your help
    Well obviously i really didn't help much... But i was thinking, maybe you could still try to check that box i told you about and pick a long / the longest period of time, maybe it will make things a little better until you find a better way to deal with the whole thing. I hope it works.

Well obviously i really didn't help much... But i was thinking, maybe you could still try to check that box i told you about and pick a long / the longest period of time, maybe it will make things a little better until you find a better way to deal with the whole thing. I hope it works.
    I will give a try, thanks

Thread Information