Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
  1. #16
    Hey Carel, so how are things? Did my alleged quick fix even work, or did you find a real solution to your problem?

  2. #17
    Computer restart alone after screen turn off
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    25,234
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Rep Power
    32
    Get rid of CMM3 and antivirus software if you have that. Do nothing and resource hogs.

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7026746?tstart=0
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Soham View Post
    Hey Carel, so how are things? Did my alleged quick fix even work, or did you find a real solution to your problem?
    Yes, I think I have found the solution. The problem was with the initial items in Preferences/users and groups/initial items. I just unchecked the applications programmed to be opened at session start. Probably "Dropbox" as made some problems. I just unchecked those options.
    Thank you for your interest
    Josef

  4. #19
    MacInWin
    Guest
    Carel, if you "unchecked" the boxes, you didn't stop them from loading at boot, but just hid them from being seen. Read the little note below the window where the items are listed. To STOP an application from launching at login, you have to click on it, then on the "-" at the bottom of that window.

    If unchecking solved the problem, that's great, I just didn't want you to think they aren't launching.

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Carel, if you "unchecked" the boxes, you didn't stop them from loading at boot, but just hid them from being seen. Read the little note below the window where the items are listed. To STOP an application from launching at login, you have to click on it, then on the "-" at the bottom of that window.

    If unchecking solved the problem, that's great, I just didn't want you to think they aren't launching.

    Thank you for your observation. You are probably right in what you say, but for the moment I have solved my problem, I hope so.
    Josef

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by carel View Post
    Thank you for your observation. You are probably right in what you say, but for the moment I have solved my problem, I hope so.
    Josef
    Hey Carel,

    Congratulations, good to know you solved your issue.

    And yes, MacInWin's definitely right about what he said about start-up items, you need to check it out and click on the minus sign to disable them when you get a chance. And as you were also told, definitely get rid of CleanMyMac, that thing is like malware for your computer. Just download Onyx (if you don't feel like looking into it, just let it run its default options) and scan your computer once a week or so with Malwarebytes. And remove / don't get any other supposed maintenance, antivirus or anti-malware programs, these two are all you need on a Mac.
    Last edited by Soham; 04-10-2017 at 02:45 PM.

  7. #22
    Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soham View Post
    Hey Carel,

    Congratulations, good to know you solved your issue.

    And yes, MacInWin's definitely right about what he said about start-up items, you need to check it out and click on the minus sign to disable them when you get a chance. And as you were also told, definitely get rid of CleanMyMac, that thing is like malware for your computer. Just download Onyx (if you don't feel like looking into it, just let it run its default options) and scan your computer once a week or so with Malwarebytes. And remove / don't get any other supposed maintenance, antivirus or anti-malware programs, these two are all you need on a Mac.

    Thanks for your advice, but I'm a bit confused. In another place I read that Onyx causes problems and advised CleanMyMac instead. For the moment and since I made the changes with the start items I have not had more problems about it.

  8. #23
    Computer restart alone after screen turn off
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    59,065
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Rep Power
    53
    In another place I read that Onyx causes problems and advised CleanMyMac instead.
    Our opinion based on experience is just the opposite. CMM is known to cause problems since it tends to be overly aggressive in its actions. And that's not just our opinion in this forum but also that of other Mac forums. However, you are free to use whatever you wish, but always precede any kind of cleaning by making a full backup first.

  9. #24
    Computer restart alone after screen turn off
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    41,404
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by carel View Post
    In another place I read that Onyx causes problems and advised CleanMyMac instead.
    If you search the internet enough...you can find just about any possible answer/opinion on just about any subject...and then confusion sets in. When you read something like..."Onyx causes problems". We don't know who this person is...what their computing expertise is...and if they used Onyx incorrectly.

    As chscag mentioned. Onyx is a very reliable app.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by carel View Post
    In another place I read that Onyx causes problems and advised CleanMyMac instead
    Probably some CMM people trying to get you to install their software...

    Anyway, i can only tell you from my experience, i've had Onyx installed on my Macs since my Powerbook G4 (like 10 years ago, probably even longer) and never had a problem with it. It's always helped me maintain my system, as well as easily access some hidden options i otherwise would've had to use Terminal to change. Only thing with it is: if you don't know what you're doing and don't feel like looking it up on the web, don't mess with all its options, just leave the default ones.

    I tried CleanMyMac once out of curiosity, and ended up reinstalling OSX to make sure it was all gone, as it leaves trails behind even when you think you deleted it.

    Quote Originally Posted by carel View Post
    For the moment and since I made the changes with the start items I have not had more problems about it.
    Good for you!
    Last edited by Soham; 04-11-2017 at 07:37 AM. Reason: mistyping

  11. #26
    MacInWin
    Guest
    +1 for Onyx. CMM is a known problem-maker. Avoid it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. you need to restart your computer
    By JoeySept in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 12:18 PM
  2. gray screen with apple logo and then instructions to restart computer?
    By jbonthelake in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 12:05 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 11:03 PM
  4. gray screen that say you must restart you computer
    By bibleworker in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 06:41 PM
  5. Computer will not restart
    By playm0de in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-26-2006, 11:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •