Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank You!

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5 in Sierra 10.12.3
    Thank You!
    I've been lurking on the forum for about three weeks to get some answers to my questions. I've been having issues with my iMac and mainly with Safari I have a 20in mid 2007 with lion. After reading all of your answers on the different threads about my problems I have come to the conclusion the I need a new iMac. Within the next week I will be picking up a new one but I have a few questions. I am not a gamer I use it mainly for surfing and social media. I will most likely get the 21.5 in. screen but I might splurge on the 27 in.
    1. Is retina really worth it?
    2. With the new rechargeable mouse and keyboard can you just use them plugged in?
    3. I will probably come up with a few more in the next couple of days.

Again Thank you,

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    G'day and welcome to the forums Pat.

1. Retina is worth it, it is a beautiful display and I am assuming you mean the 27" model. One caution. I have Glaucoma which made the display a little overbearing, however laser surgery has seemed to fix that. To do withthe fluid pressure inside the bye distorting the lens a little.

2. Keyboard and Trackpad can be used whilst charging, but not the mouse. Why would you want to Pat as that beats the whole idea of wifi devices? Let them charge at night whilst your iMac sleeps. I love Trackpads but alas live in a very humid area, often over 96% and the humidity and damp fingers play havoc in summer
    months when I use the mouse.

3. With the 27" model, memory from either Crucial or OWC (macsales) is an easy user upgrade, so don't order it with addition memory from Apple. The are like wounded buffaloes and I am sure you get my meaning.

4. Storage. I would suggest you really consider the PCI-E Flash Storage which on the current model comes in 512GB and 1TB capacities. It really flies let me assure you and nothing is as fast as Flash! This is because SATA III is 6Gb/ps and Flash 8Gb/ps PCI-E.
    Last edited by harryb2448; 03-09-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thank You!
    2. With the new rechargeable mouse and keyboard can you just use them plugged in?

Note: Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2 can be used while charging. Magic Mouse 2 is unavailable for use while charging.
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205160

- Patrick
    ======

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    One more thing Pat, if you are buying new, there was talk about a new model coming this or next month. It could be longer as traditionally iMacs are announced in June at WWDC, for release at the end of the year.

Keep your eye on Apple Refurbs as often late model iMacs are sold there reasonably cheaply, with the newest operating system and a full 12 month warranty, and you can also take up the AppleCare additional 2 year option if purchased prior to the boriginal warranty expiring. Cost usually about $200.00.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/hom...ls/mac/imac/27

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    I looked at the refurbished ones but it seems the 2013 to 2015 models will be obsolete sooner. I wear glasses and I might have to update them also for Retina. I'm leaning toward the 21.5 in. because Its right in front of me and I really don't need it bigger.

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    Just make sure you do not get a model with a sloooooow old 5400rpm laptop drive installed. Memory is not user upgradeable in the 21.5" model so make sure you get the 16GB model and avoid the 1.6GHz CPU model.

There is more than size to consider Pat, and 27" models hold their re-sale value better than 21.5" models. After using a 27" for a week you won't notice any difference in size.

Thank You!
    Just make sure you do not get a model with a sloooooow old 5400rpm laptop drive installed.
    I used to think the same thing and wondered what Apple was even thinking, but the fact is they aren't "old" 5400RPM HDDs, but new technology 5400RPM with much higher density, and besides which, the Geekbench scores are often higher than some of the same era generation 27" iMacs.
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ndex-imac.html fot the various specs.

And for new 5400 vs 7200 HDDs speed info:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Fa...&ab_channel=WD
    http://blog.macsales.com/11825-when-...ctually-faster
    http://www.seagate.com/tech-insights...ore-master-ti/

But regardless, personally I'll still go for a good top quality 7200 RPM HDD myself thanks.

- Patrick
    ======

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    No the platter drives have had it. This is the day of Flash Storage.

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    I'm not really into resale I usually ride em till they die. There is an Apple 27 in. i Mac with retina 5k display (late 2015) mk462ll/a certified Apple refurbished with one year warranty on E-bay for $1382.00. It does not have any other info. Its from ElectronicValley. Is this a good idea? It would be the most expensive online purchase i have had by far.

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    @Yamaha Pat:

The "real" Apple certified refurbished Macs are sold only by Apple and no one else. Anything sold on eBay claiming to be an Apple certified refurbished machine is very likely a false claim. Find out the serial number of that Mac and then enter it into the Apple serial number site and you will quickly find out the truth.

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks I wondered if it was legit. I'll go too the Apple store and pick up something new there is a basic one for $1099.00 that I think would suit my needs. But I like to buy the best that I can at the time.

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    When buying from Apple you know that you will not only get a one year warranty (optional 2 more years with Apple care) but also great service. And you always have 2 weeks to return your purchase to Apple for a full refund, no questions asked.

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    Really I just went to the Apple Store to look to see my different options. Well now I am the proud owner of a new iMac with Sierra 10.12.1 I'm sure I will have more questions but just wanted to say thank you guys again.

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    Congratulations on your new purchase. Have fun and visit us often.

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    How do I migrate just iPhoto. With Migration assistant on the old unit I checked to another Mac and on the new one I checked from another Mac. It gives me options but not just iPhoto. Old iPhoto 9.1 (475) new Photos 2.0 (451.20.9). The options it gives me are:
    applications
    ownermac
    sophos end point
    other files and folders
    computer and network settings
    Last edited by Yamaha Pat; 03-11-2017 at 11:21 PM. Reason: add options

Thread Information