Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank You!

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Pat I hope you have not installed Sophos, a known resource hog. And think on nthis. There are no Mac OS X viruses, all you are doing is download Windows virus definition bases and searching for them, and Windows viruses cannot execute on the Unix platform. Suggest downloading Ghostery and AdBlockPlus to control nasties, and Malwarebytes for Mac for malware etc.

Sorry I am not into photos, but the thirty or so I do have simply come over with Migration Assistant.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5 in Sierra 10.12.3
    No I haven't installed any thing yet. Thats why I only want iPhotos, I don't want anything not necessary. I'm sure after 10 years I've got a lot of junk in there. Probably a big part of my issues besides just being old. I'm going to wait until I am sure what I need. I'm not sure which of my options contains iPhotos and not a bunch of junk. Thanks for looking out for me. Although I'd like to show you what my ugly mug looks like.

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I'm not sure the following will work but it is worth a try. Start with the old computer first.

1. Launch Photos and open its preferences.
    2. With the Preferences window open click on the "General" tab.
    3. The very first option is the library location. If you click Reveal in Finder it will take you to the Photos library file. Make note of this location.
    4. Copy the file that's revealed to some other drive.

After step 4 everything else occurs on the new machine. Try 4a first:
    a. Launch Photos on the new computer. Choose Import from the file menu and select the photo library you just copied.
    b. Copy the library file to the new computer. Be sure to put it on the same place as the current library.
    Last edited by Slydude; 03-12-2017 at 03:37 AM.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Pat remove Sophos. It does nothing as there are no Mac OS X viruses. Being a resource hog it will slow your iMac. Consider downloading Ghostery and AdBlock Plus to prevent nasties, and Malwarebytes for Mac to remove adware and malware.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I'm not sure the following will work but it is worth a try. Start with the old computer first.

1. Launch Photos and open its preferences.
    2. With the Preferences window open click on the "General" tab.
    3. The very first option is the library location. If you click Reveal in Finder it will take you to the Photos library file. Make note of this location.
    4. Copy the file that's revealed to some other drive.

After step 4 everything else occurs on the new machine. Try 4a first:
    a. Launch Photos on the new computer. Choose Import from the file menu and select the photo library you just copied.
    b. Copy the library file to the new computer. Be sure to put it on the same place as the current library.
    Is there any chance of losing pictures in this scenario there are a lot of memories there.

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Pat remove Sophos. It does nothing as there are no Mac OS X viruses. Being a resource hog it will slow your iMac. Consider downloading Ghostery and AdBlock Plus to prevent nasties, and Malwarebytes for Mac to remove adware and malware.

Reading around this forum I realize that it was malware and not viruses but I don't want to bring any of that into the new computer. I will not bring back Sophos. Thanks for the heads up.

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha Pat View Post
    Is there any chance of losing pictures in this scenario there are a lot of memories there.
    The risk should be very low since the original library file will remain on the old Mac.

BTW If you have a Time Machine backup or other backup of the old computer we may be able to help you find the library file in your backup.
    Kevin Durant

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    I brought up time machine and it hadn't backed up for 508 days so thats a no go. Have a Toshiba portable hard drive (500gb) will that help? Don't know how to use it.

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    Does that drive contain some type of backup? If not then the best result will be following the steps outlined above. If the Toshiba portable is already formatted for Mac you're good to go. Simply copy the iPhoto library to that drive.

If the drive is not already Mac formatted you will need to use Disk Utility to format the drive. Be sure there's nothing important on the drive. Formatting erases everything on the drive.
    Kevin Durant

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    I tried to update iPhotos before switching to the new iMac but it could not verify to update. So I got applications to go to the new one and iphotos shows up in applications but it has a white circle with a slash through it (no iphoto for you) and when I click on it it says go to app store to update but there are no updates in the app store. Also I uploaded some pictures from my camera but on one of the forums I'm on when I go advanced to add pictures it used to have iphoto as one of my options but now it just gives me applications and if I choose file it wants to add the Photos complete file.

Pat

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    You know its really disappointing when you think you have it figured out and it just goes bad. Go to the old system and get on MacForums try to upload photos because you've done it before on other forums and it tells you they are to large 3000x4000 and it can't load anything larger than 1500x1500 so I try to put them in photo bucket to scale them down but the old system won't go into photo bucket. I'm not sure what to do now, I wanted to show you screen shots of what I am talking about. I reply, Go advanced, Manage attachments, Add files and choose files then it wants to add the complete Photos file. HELP!

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    On the old iMac, are you using iPhoto or Photos, it does make a difference?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thank You!

Your Mac's Specs
    iPhotos on the old one, Is there a fairly easy way in Photos on the new system to reduce the size from 3000x4000 to 1500x1500?

Pat

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I would export the image to the desktop, then use Image Capture to reduce the file size. See the Apple Support article, https://support.apple.com/kb/PH5936?locale=en_US.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thank You!
    Your Mac's Specs
    If this is something you have to do often you might try the following;
    1. Follow the steps in this article to create the Automator workflow on slide number 2. You only need to do this step once.
    2. Launch Photos and select photos you want to resize.
    3. Chose Export from the Photos File menu. Put the images into the folder you created during the Automator workflow step.
    4. Drag the folder of photos not the Automator application that you created.

Sounds complicated but it really isn't.
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information