Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: Startup Sound

Startup Sound

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro
    Startup Sound
    I upgraded my 24" iMac (considered an early 2009 model) from OS 10.6 Snow Leopard to 10.11.6 El Capitan. (The machine cannot upgrade to the newer Sierra system.)

Prior to the upgrade of El Capitan I had a Startup Sound app that controlled the sound level of the computer startup "chime".

The app doesn't work since the upgrade. I deleted it from the machine to find out it will not reload.

I want to control the volume level at start up but what used to work doesn't any more.

What choices do I have? Is there an app that works with El Capitan? I would prefer an app rather than using the terminal mode if at all possible.

I'm one of those guys who shuts a computer down when I'm away from the computer.

In advance, thanks!!!

MacInWin
    I'm one of those guys who shuts a computer down when I'm away from the computer.
    You really don't need to do that. Just let it go to sleep. It's just as secure (assuming you have a password set) as it would be powered off, it draws only a tiny bit of electricity and is ready to go much faster when you want it. Plus, there is no chime!

I saw another thread here on the startup sound, but I don't recall if it was resolved or not. You might do a search for that thread.

Startup Sound

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    You really don't need to do that. Just let it go to sleep. It's just as secure (assuming you have a password set) as it would be powered off, it draws only a tiny bit of electricity and is ready to go much faster when you want it. Plus, there is no chime!

I saw another thread here on the startup sound, but I don't recall if it was resolved or not. You might do a search for that thread.
    Like I said, I'm one of those guys who shuts down electrical devices in a home when I'm not around.

Startup Sound

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro
    Got the problem fixed. Found tips using a Google search.

MacInWin
    Well, you probably have a lot of devices running when you aren't there. Anything that turns on with a remote is "running" to be able to see the remote, for example. Also any clocks, timers, like your microwave, for example, are "running" all the time. For me, the iMac is just another "running, but not really" device that I never shut down.

But I'm glad you got it sorted!

Startup Sound
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman0174 View Post
    Got the problem fixed. Found tips using a Google search.
    Hi Fireman

If you've got the time, could you possibly share your solution with us, please? There are likely others who may want to achieve the same result and clicking on this Thread would be great if they found the answer.

Ian
    Ian

Startup Sound
    If you've got the time, could you possibly share your solution with us, please?

That would be nice and I dare say, there are a lot of users who would like to be able to control their Mac's startup sound, like a user who needs to reboot while everyone else is in bed sleeping, etc…

- Patrick
    ==========

Startup Sound
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I'm not sure, but I think "StartNinja" still works with El Captian and Sierra. Worth a try since it's free.

Startup Sound
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think "StartNinja" still works with El Captian and Sierra. Worth a try since it's free.

Thanks Charlie, but like so many such attempts, it's not always a solution for some:

Some scenarios in which StartNinja might not work for you.
    Note 2: The system start up chime is played through the internal speaker. If speakers or headphones are plugged in the system start up chime will still play.

http://www.allvu.com/startninja.html

- Patrick
    ==========

Startup Sound

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Hi Fireman

If you've got the time, could you possibly share your solution with us, please? There are likely others who may want to achieve the same result and clicking on this Thread would be great if they found the answer.

Ian
    This worked for me.

http://www.howtogeek.com/260693/how-...hime-on-a-mac/

Startup Sound
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Problem solved for the 2016 MacBook Pro machines as well. They no longer "chime" upon boot up. That was by design from Apple, by the way. And wouldn't you guess it? Folks have already found a way to turn the chime back on! LOL.

Some like it, some don't. I guess you can't please everyone.

Startup Sound

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Problem solved for the 2016 MacBook Pro machines as well. They no longer "chime" upon boot up. That was by design from Apple, by the way. And wouldn't you guess it? Folks have already found a way to turn the chime back on! LOL.

Some like it, some don't. I guess you can't please everyone.
    As has been pointed out, if I left the iMac in the sleep mode, there would be no problem.

I'm an early riser and the startup sound was loud enough to sometimes bother my wife.

The process I found mutes the sound, but what I really wanted was the ability to control the volume to a low level.

I was unable to install StartNinja.

Startup Sound
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    The process I found mutes the sound, but what I really wanted was the ability to control the volume to a low level.
    Hi fireman,

In the excellent link you so kindly provided, the very first part tells you how you can retain the chime, but at a much reduced level. In brief, you manually adjust the sound to the desired level immediately before shutting down. On reboot, the chime is at that level.

Ian
    Ian

Startup Sound
    The process I found mutes the sound, but what I really wanted was the ability to control the volume to a low level
    Good fix but who cares what you really wanted??? Your wife should be happy and she's the most important one you need to keep pleased!!!

- patrick
    ==========

Startup Sound

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Hi fireman,

In the excellent link you so kindly provided, the very first part tells you how you can retain the chime, but at a much reduced level. In brief, you manually adjust the sound to the desired level immediately before shutting down. On reboot, the chime is at that level.

Ian
    Tried it, but it didn't work for me.

Thread Information