Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

I would like to wipe an old Mac Mini clean
    First off are there any good recommended threads already in place for wiping a Mac clean and re-installing a newer version of OS X?

I have an old Mac Mini that I acquired from a family member and its been acting up for some time. It still has the old ADMIN set up and I cant do anything with it as far upgrading the 10.4.11 OS that it is using, or doing anything for that matter. I cant even upgrade the web browser. I basically just have a profile set up that I use at this point. The family member is not sure of his old passwords he used as ADMIN as its been quiet some time since he set it up.

After doing some research on wiping it clean and reinstalling newer software it sure seemed like and easy thing to do. COMMAND + R, and wait for the 2 Drive Icons to appear. Well when I try that it I am only seeing 1 drive appear when a drive appears at all. The MAC HD Icon is the one that pops up. The Recovery Icon does not appear. Is this possibly because I am not the admin of this computer?

Ive also tried holding the OPTION key while holding the power button but that doesn't work at all. The mini just starts squealing after a few seconds of holding the power button and then it just goes straight to the log on screen.

Anyways I am trying but failing. I keep going back to the reasoning being that I am not the original ADMIN but just not 100% sure.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

Curt

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    G'day and welcome to the forums Curt.

Well we do need to know the precise model of the Mini. Earlier Minis can only run up to Leopard OS X.5, seven operating systems old. Intel Minis can run OS X.6, and if newer than the late 2009 model, up to OS X.11 El Capitan, and if later than mid 2010 all the way up to Sierra OS X.12 so you can see a lot of work to do. Command R will not work on any operating system earlier than Lion OS X.7. So the way to erase and format will depend on the model and operating system. I take it you have no system DVD?
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

I will get back to you ASAP with specs as I am at work at the moment.

I do know it is a Mac Mini 1, 2005/2006 era and I believe it is an Intel chip.

I acquired 10.5 from a buddy. It sounds like that may work based on your comments above. This machine is only used for email, internet and light office work.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by clt750 View Post
    I do know it is a Mac Mini 1, 2005/2006 era and I believe it is an Intel chip.
    If this Mac-Mini is truely a 2006 model with an Intel CPU...newest OS version it can run is 10.6.8. Maybe newer than what it is currently running...but still a pretty old OS version ATM.

Please verify the exact model...and in any case...you're going to need an OS 10.6 retail install DVD (Apple = $19.99).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Apple were making two Mini models at that time. A January 2005 to February 2006 is a PowerPC model, before Intel, and quite possibly sold at Resellers for another six months or so. A model introduced February 2006 was an Intel model and will run Snow Leopard as Nick says.

So here it is:
    Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MM11.0055.B08
    SMC Version: 1.3f4
    Serial Number: SystemSerialNumb

Is more info needed?

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    That Mac will indeed run OS X 10.6.8. The 1 GB of memory may make things a bit tight no matter what OS you're running.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

So whats the skinny on wiping this older machine clean? If its not COMMAND + R, or OPTION / HOLD POWER what is it?

Your Mac's Specs
    mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
    CMD+R is a OS recovery system that is only "available" on newer operating systems. It allows you to reload the OS via internet if you are having problems.
    The skinny starts with purchasing a OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) DVD from Apple...$20 USD.
    Installing additional RAM will be of some help to you. It is easily done on a Mini.

So with that said is there going to be any issue with me not being the original ADMIN on this? Like I said up above I cant do anything without that ADMIN password which is long gone. I just have a Guest Profile I have been using since I have owned this machine.

Your Mac's Specs
    As Nick suggested purchase the Snow Leopard OS X.6 DVD from Apple Online for $20 posted or if you are in a metropolitan area perhaps an Apple Store will have one. Check out Pickup on nthe link. Pop the DVD in, boot, hold down 'C' and it will load, erase the hard drive using Disk Utility from the DVD and format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and proceed with the binstall, go online and update to OS X.5.8. You can purchase another 1GB of memory also linked. Just bremember it is an old system with minimal CPU and memory.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC...6-snow-leopard

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/mac_mini/intel

Thread Information