Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Admin User account disappeared along with permissions
    So basically, when it was wiped and stolen, when I got it back I just made an account called "home" with the password as home too. But as my "H" on the keyboard it being a ****, I decided to change my password back to what I had before. I went to change it in settings and just as I clicked ok, I noticed a message at the top saying I may not be able to log back in. But, I had already clicked ok.
    The computer went idle/sleep and then I couldnt log back on. Went on to guest and obviously couldn't do anything.
    Now when I go to logon, there is only the guest login and not my account (which is also admin)
    Restarted it in recovery mode so to reset the password - the grey box came up to choose the account to reset the permissions password, but no accounts were listed. I don't know what to do.

MacInWin
    Welcome to the forum.

Lots of questions: What is "it" that got wiped and stolen? What version of OS? What happens when you try to log in? Any messages?

At this point, if all of your files are wiped, it may be best to just reinstall altogether.

Sorry, it's a late 2010 iMac 27" on El Capitan.
    When the mac boots up, it just has Guest account with password entry. I click the back arrow which removes the password bar and I just click guest and it logs in as guest. My old account has disappeared but the files are still on the HDD under the user "Home" but the account isn't there when it comes to log in.

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Lots of questions: What is "it" that got wiped and stolen? What version of OS? What happens when you try to log in? Any messages?

At this point, if all of your files are wiped, it may be best to just reinstall altogether.

MacInWin
    OK, if it's El Cap, you may have a Recovery setup on the drive, so you can try to boot with that.

Here is a link to the Apple document on how to do that: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

If you can get it to boot into Recovery, run a disk check to see if anything needs fixing.

But I'm confused how your files are there under Home if it was wiped. Did you restore them from a backup to that account? Still have that backup? If so, I'd say reinstall using Recovery and create a new account, then restore them again from that backup.

So basically, it was wiped. I started using it again one the police gave it back; have done for the past 6 months. The original files are lost (unless I can find a decent recovery software)
    But basically, from July to yesterday, my files are on the computer still. But the login for that account has disappeared.
    I'll try a repair tomorrow.

MacInWin
    Well, recovery software probably won't do much for you at this time because in using it for 6 months, you've probably overwritten your old files. Data recovery products run in the US$100+ range (you may find one on sale but it's fairly rare). Some have a 'trial' version that will tell you what it finds, but won't recover unless you pay. I'm not an expert on that software, so i'll leave it for others to comment on that.

OK, the challenge in getting your Home files and maybe the Home account back is that we need to get you logged in with an Admin account. Every system has to have at least one admin account, but your system seems to be without that account at all. So boot recovery if you can, run disk repair to see if it can recover the Home account. If not, see if you can get to System Preferences/Users & Groups to create a NEW account with Admin authority. The challenge is that to do that you'll need an Admin password. You can try the password you used for Home, or if you had created a user with an Admin account, use that password. If none of that works, we may have to see if you can get to System Preferences from Guest to create that new account, but I don't think Guest has the authority to run System Preferences. Barring that, you may have to resort to Terminal to try to create a new account, but lets leave that for now and see if recovery works.

Well good luck here Jake, but to me it's akin to someone driving their car into a brick wall six months ago and now trying to get it to run without getting any help from the auto body or mechanics, and now looking for some free solution or some such which appears to be beyond the scope of the OP user.

Good luck!! But sorry.

- Patrick
    ==========

MacInWin
    Nah, Patrick, it was working recently, so it's a new problem. I'm totally clueless on how an account can totally disappear, particularly if it is the ONLY admin account, but it's happened so before we go Nuke and pave, we try to get SOMETHING going. All he needs is an account with Admin privileges and he can get to his documents to get them off, then nuke and pave to sort it out. Another mac would help, I think, because he could mount it in target mode and get his files.

As for the pre-steal files, they are pretty much toast. But maybe trying one of the "try before buy" recovery processes might find some crumbs.

Nah, Patrick, it was working recently, so it a new problem.

Well a new and compounded problem it sounds like.

But I dare say from what has been posted here, I doubt that any over the air/network fix will help and I'd suggest a good Mac tech with some various hands-on resources and equipment at their disposal will be required to fix this situation.

Or there are some other facts that haven't been mentioned missing, and some just doesn't make any sense or I just missed some critical points.

Like there must be an admin user somewhere for the thing to even boot to guest user AFAIK, but it sounds like there isn't even any sign of a "standard user" and a "guest user" is even below that I believe as far as the OS is concerned.

IE: A bit of a mess is an understatement here I think.

And oh yes, add the fact that the keyboard or some keys aren't working properly. It's like trying to run up a steep sand cliff with only loose sand. The top will never be within reach.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 01-19-2017 at 10:13 PM.

MacInWin
    All we are trying at this point is to get his files off so he can work on the other issues. I agree that afaik, you have to have an admin account to boot, so while it's not showing in the login sequence, it seems to be still active in the OS. So he may be able to create a new admin account from the terminal, or through the Guest account if it can get to System Preferences, using the password from the disappeared account.

Yes, the drive is a mess. But if he can get his files off, that can be fixed with nuke/pave. The keyboard is a separate issue. He may have to use an external keyboard to get it running, in the H key is in fact all mucked up, but again, at least he has working machine.

It was stolen, after all, so who knows what the thief may have done to it? But it worked for six months after he got it back, so it's probably worth a bit of effort to recover.

Now, it is a 7 year old system, so it's probably not worth investing a ton of money, but so far not a penny spent to give it a go.

Thread Information