Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Help - Have I lost my music library?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Curious, I just looked an all my ripped music is, in fact, in my Time Machine backups. I tested several albums that I have ripped, some recently and some a long time ago, and all of them are there. So the statement that TM will not backup ripped music seems to be incorrect.

I suspect that at least some of the failures of iTunes can be traced to PEBKAC.

Hmmm…??? So how does one account for so many hits with users suffering from the same problem?? Curious question remains I guess.

- Patrick
    ==========

Your Mac's Specs
    MBA mid-2013 1.3GHz i5, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB; iPhone 6; iPad Air2, 64GB
    Pay the small price for one of the good third party backup applications that actually work as one would expect!!

Suggestions on that please? I'm getting tired of all the manual backups I have to do!

MacInWin
    Carbon Copy Cloner, Super Duper! and ChronoSync will all do backups for you.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcat View Post
    Pay the small price for one of the good third party backup applications that actually work as one would expect!!

Suggestions on that please? I'm getting tired of all the manual backups I have to do!
    Jake gave you three great suggestions. However, don't sell Time Machine short as it does what it's supposed to do. However, some users just set it and forget it without ever checking to see if the backups are being made. Whatever backup program you decide on, make sure you test it once in awhile to see if it's working the way it's suppose to. Nothing worse than having a hard drive crash and then finding out your backup is broken.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    To add to the controversy; I have used Time Machine (TM) over many years to restore data to a new Mac and all my music, however acquired, has been retained. I checked just now and all of it is on my current TM backups. Having said that, I do BU all my libraries (music, Photos & Aperture) to an External Hard Drive (EHD) regularly.

I have posted many times on the need for Backups (BU) to comprise both Time Machine (TM) and a clone - each serving a different purchase. I have two TM backups and two SuperDuper! (SD!) backups.

The reason for having two TM backups is simply that on three occasions in the last 2 years, I have had EHD failures. One sometimes forgets that all hard drives fail eventually and that includes your BU EHD. Since Mavericks, running 2 TM backups has been catered for and they run in the background.

Reason for 2 SD backups was learnt the hard way. Once, my iMac's spinning platter Hard Disk Drive not only failed in stages but the OS became corrupted. Unfortunately, my SD BU was similarly corrupted and useless. I now space my SD BUs - one current and one at about a month old - and I always have a pre & post update SD backup. As my new iMac has a SSD, a failure is more likely to be abrupt rather than come about in stages, as with a spinning HDD; and data recovery from a SSD is well nigh impossible.

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information