Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks to everyone for the input. I apologize for not listing all of the specs on my original post. I thought that listing the year and model would be enough. I am out of solutions. I spoke with Apple via chat today and they said my only option is to use a bootable usb. I have spent the last 2 hours trying to get the 2007 iMac to startup with the usb and still nothing. I was told that target disk mode would not help and if usb doesn't work then I should purchase a usb SuperDrive which I already own for a MacBook and now this thread tells me that the drive won't work with my model. So I will have to find a technician. Thanks.

flashing folder icon new hard drive
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Thank you for posting back. One thing is at least explained. You own an Apple Super Drive which works with your MacBook but which can't work with your 2007 iMac for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.

A third party optical drive (see Amazon for example) will work fine.

I'm really sorry you've had all this bother.

Ian
    Ian

usb SuperDrive which I already own for a MacBook and now this thread tells me that the drive won't work with my model. So I will have to find a technician.
    Not necessarily, you should be able to use it with enabling the DVD or CD Sharing option.

As to how, see and read this:
    Use the CD or DVD drive from another computer with your Mac
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203973

- Patrick
    ==========

Thank you for your kindness. I will purchase a third party drive and let you know how it goes.

I can't use the sharing option because I don't have an operating system on the 2007 yet. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by kmack1 View Post
    I can't use the sharing option because I don't have an operating system on the 2007 yet. Thanks for your help.
    Does "Target Disk Mode" work???

If so, it just might work, even without an OS. Worth a try maybe…

Update: I purchased a third part optical drive and was able to install the original operating system. Thank you all for your input. So, now that computer is running Tiger and it won't let me update to Snow Leopard. I have the Snow Leopard disk but it stops during installation and the message reads that installation failed files needed to support installation not found. I have tried several other methods and got an error code message that the x code was missing and I can't update without the x code. The apple support person told me to look for an x code install disk but I haven't been able to find one. Any ideas?

I can't think of one single reason that any tech with any Mac knowledge or brains would even suggest needing anything to do with "Xcode".

That Apple software is for developer's use, and sure not needed to get any Mac running or updated.

And I have no idea as to what the "several other methods" you tried are. But are you sure you are using the proper compatible installer disk???

What Snow Leopard disk do you have that you're using?

- Patrick
    ==========

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I have the Snow Leopard disk but it stops during installation and the message reads that installation failed files needed to support installation not found.
    That means you're using the wrong Snow Leopard disk for your iMac. You need to purchase the retail version from Apple for $19.99. Buy it from here.

I used 10.6.3. That is the only snow leopard disk I have and used it many years ago to install it.
    The other things I tried were:
    Download snow leopard from a few sites online- didn't work
    Create bootable usb- didn't work
    Use disk in DVD drive of another iMac and shared the disk and dmg or pkg files- got the xcode message.
    Tried locating the xcode from online but Apple developer site not currently working.

Thanks, I will order the retail copy.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Can you boot from the Snow Leopard disc? If so, go into Disk Utility and verify disk and permissions. Then I would recommend erasing the drive and doing a clean install.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Many, many thanks to all who posted on here to help me. I received the Retail Snow Leopard disk today and finally got it installed! I really appreciate all of the time everyone took to respond!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Thanks for posting back and letting us know. Don't be a stranger and as we say in Texas... you'all come back, hear?

Thread Information