Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question What is system (105gb) in manage storage (Sierra)
    hey guys,

When i go to | about this mac > storage > manage | My app, documents itunes and so on represent around 130 gb. Althought, i don't understand what "System" 107gb represents.

here is a picture
    http://imgur.com/a/gNbvw

do you guys know what System is and how i can manage it?

Thanks in advance,

Max

What is system (105gb) in manage storage (Sierra)
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Hi Max and a very warm welcome to our Forums.

Thank you for the picture.

Before attempting to answer your question, may I first make an observation which could have relevance to the solution?

It appears that you have less than 8GB free out of 250GB on your Macintosh HD. This is way too little to run an OS. The recommended minimum is around 20 per cent of your total storage, which in your case should be in the region of 50GB.

And this may/may not have relevance to the 105GB mentioned under System.

A question if you don't mind - are you using Optimised Storage which is available with macOS Sierra? As I don't have Sierra, I'm not sure how it is represented in the Storage breakdown; but could be an explanation.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    Mac Anandtech recommends at least 25% free area of an SSD so it is either increase the size of your hard drive, or start cleaning out unwanted apps etc.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

MacInWin
    Harry, that article is from 2012 and addresses very old technology in the SSD space. More recent articles I have read (Sorry, I don't have links) indicated 10% or even 5% was enough because the drives themselves reserve space for what Anandtech's article talked about.

Your Mac's Specs
    You show me and I believe otherwise..........

This one is from 2015 and the author still recommends the 20-25% level:-

http://www.howtogeek.com/215413/why-...-up-computers/

Gamrs at gamespot still recommend 15-30%:-

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-ma...ives-31541579/

And yet to find anyone say 'you can fill your SSD up to the brim.'
    Last edited by harryb2448; 12-02-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Even if...........

10 per cent of 250 = 25 GB

5 per cent = 12.5 GB

OP has <8 GB

And about the System = 105 GB? Is this related, as I kind of guessed, to Optimised Storage?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Does not say Ian but that large must use quite a bit of Photos, iMovie and/or iTunes. I can get away with a tad over 50GB and I am not into any of those three.

MacInWin
    Harry, fair enough. I was headed out and didn't have the time to look them up. Now I'm back and here is some reading for you (note the date of the article):

https://www.lifewire.com/how-much-fr...needed-2260187

and from your own reference at howtogeek:
    SSD-specific:

For optimum reliability (and to a lesser extent, performance), SSDs require some free space, which, without going into too much detail, they use for spreading data around the drive to avoid constantly writing to the same place (which wears them out). This concept of leaving free space is called over-provisioning. It is important, but in many SSDs, mandatory over-provisioned space already exists. That is, the drives often have a few dozen more GB than they report to the OS. Lower-end drives often require you to manually leave unpartitioned space, but for drives with mandatory OP, you do not need to leave any free space. An important thing to note here is that over-provisioned space is often only taken from unpartitioned space. So if your partition takes up your entire drive and you leave some free space on it, that does not always count. Many times, manual over-provisioning requires you to shrink your partition to be smaller than the size of the drive. Check your SSD’s user manual for details. TRIM, garbage collection, and such have effects as well, but those are outside the scope of this answer.
    I added the bolding to the appropriate lines. The reason SSDs come, most of them, in 480GB and 960GB sizes is that the over provisioned space is the difference between those sizes and the nominal 512, 1024 you'd see as a power of two and which is common on spinner drives.

And the TRIM and GC the author mentions at the end also take place in the over provisioned space, so whenever the drive is idle and there is TRIM or GC in play or a Sandforce controller installed, the fractional parts get cleaned up in that over provisioning area, too, thereby cleaning up more of the user space on the fly without needing any "free" space in the user portion of the drive.

Now, although from the drive perspective you can go really low, that article from howtogeek you referenced also contained this about ALL drives and OSes:
    Leave space for other OS functions. For example, if your machine does not have a lot of physical RAM, and you have virtual memory enabled with a dynamically sized page file, you will want to leave enough space for the page file’s maximum size. Or if you have a laptop that you put into hibernation mode, you will need enough free space for the hibernation state file. Things like that.
    As rule of thumb, it's good to leave about 150% of your RAM memory size for paging and/or hibernation. So that would say that in a 16GB MBP you should leave about 24GB free space on ANY drive for that OS functioning. But on a 1TB SSD, that's only 2.4% of the available space, not 20%. And if you want to be super cautious because you do video editing with HUGE files and want to have scratch space for the editor, you could double up to 4.8-5% of that 1TB SSD, or about 10% of a 480 GB SSD. Anything more than that is not really needed with modern drives.

Did that help?

Bottom line to me would be if the "experts" would quit using a suggested % amount, not knowing the readers volume size, and just suggest an approximate actual size to keep free.

I've been saying the same thing for years, and got blasted for saying it from a certain member here as I recall.

And as mentioned, things and devices change with updates and design changes so it don't help with accuracy to keep regurgitating the same old outdated info and facts.

But for the benefit of the OP as Ian pointed out, I'd agree the 8GB free out of 250GB would be starting to push things a bit. And especially so if they are using a slower 5400 RPM drive.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Jake if youread that article he does say 15%. And you best read it too Patrick if you think 5-6% is sufficient and only starting to push things.

MacInWin
    Harry I did read it. He said, in part,
    Many disk defragmentation tools require a minimum amount of free space (I think the one with Windows requires 15 percent, worst case) to work in. They use this free space to temporarily hold fragmented files as other things are rearranged.
    If that is what you are referring to, SSDs should not be defragged. Other than that, he said, as I pulled out earlier:
    It is important, but in many SSDs, mandatory over-provisioned space already exists. That is, the drives often have a few dozen more GB than they report to the OS. Lower-end drives often require you to manually leave unpartitioned space, but for drives with mandatory OP, you do not need to leave any free space.
    So, other than the memory and scratch space I referred to of about 25-50GB max, there isn't any reason to leave spare space on an SSD, and certainly not as much as you need on a spinner. Percentages really don't apply, just leave enough for memory and application scratch. 2-3 times your installed memory ought to do, you can go 4 times if you want to be cautious.

But how about we agree to disagree? Don't want this to become a "religious" argument.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    SO..... back to the OP's original question.... I just looked at my MB Air which is running Sierra and I noticed I have over 50GB listed as system - not to be confused with the OS which is listed separately. I did some googling and there is a mix of information about what system entails. I even did the cleaning they recommended to see if I could recover space and system grew by 1GB.

So what is it? What files are part of system? Any guesses?

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

I know I should leave some free space, but I'm not complaining about my computer's speed, I just wanna understand what this System 107gb represents

Quote Originally Posted by max_hfr View Post
    I know I should leave some free space, but I'm not complaining about my computer's speed, I just wanna understand what this System 107gb represents

I'm sorry I don't know and haven't gone to Sierra yet and it sure seems like a pretty legit question to me, and I haven't found anything with a google web search, but does Sierra provide any hint with any possible Help option or explanation????

Or even an annoying OS X Cheshire cat type mouse-over hint or suggestion that fades away when half read???

I suspect not with their current OS directions but just thought I'd ask.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, iPhone X
    Nope no info. When you click on it - nothing. When you hover over it you just get how large it is.

Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

Thread Information