Angry Can't remove unwanted partition with Disk Utility
    I have no idea what I'm doing anymore and I've probably made things worse and I'm at my wits end.

I used to have a partition to run linux on which I have no use for, I've erased the partition but cant merge it to 'Macintosh HD' as the little minus symbol is greyed out. Disk Utility is being practically useless here. The partition in question is called 'Untitled 4'.

I've also tried using gparted booting linux from a USB, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Thanks for any answers, ask if you need any more info :)

Might find these shots helpful:

http://i.imgur.com/S24q0UD.png
    http://i.imgur.com/3cLBKji.png

Can't remove unwanted partition with Disk Utility
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

You can not merge that now empty Linux partition back into your Macintosh HD because as you can plainly see, the OS X Recovery partition stands in the way. The only recourse you have is to backup your data, erase the drive, reinstall your version of OS X (which you didn't mention), and then recover your data. We always warn folks about installing Linux in a dual boot scenario not only because GRUB has a bad habit of overwriting the boot sector, but because it becomes difficult to recover the space. Linux can be run very easily in a virtual machine without messing with partitioning. If you need more help with this, post back.

Thanks. I'm on a MacBook Pro Retina late 2013 running OS X version 10.11.4.

I'm doing a backup now, could you be a little more specific about the steps I need to take to erase the drive. I don't want to dig myself into a deeper hole.

Thanks again

Your Mac's Specs
    After making your backup (assuming with Time Machine) reboot your MacBook Pro into recovery by pressing the command + r keys as soon as you hear the boot chime. Once in recovery, select Utilities, Disk Utility, and then highlight the "Apple SSD" entry. Select erase from the tab and when the dialog opens, select erase again. After the drive is erased and if you do not have a USB El Capitan boot install flash drive, you'll have to do an internet recovery. Internet recovery will install the original version of OS X that came preinstalled on your MBP. After that is installed, you can further install El Capitan from the Mac App store. After which, restore your data with your Time Machine backup.

How to do an internet recovery

I've received an error when trying to erase saying "couldn't unmount disk", Macintosh HD and the untitled partition become grayed out, but not recovery HD. Not sure what to do from here.

Scratch the above, I'm onto reinstalling OS X now, thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    OK, I thought that might happen. The reason it won't unmount the disk is because we chose the "Apple SSD" which encompasses the entire drive. We can't erase a drive that's in use. We also can't choose "Macintosh HD" to erase because it will not erase and format disk 4 (former Linux partition). What you might be able to do is clone your Macintosh HD partition to an external hard drive and then boot from the external hard drive and erase the internal drive in your MacBook Pro. Do you know how to do that?

You would need an external hard drive large enough to hold your Macintosh HD partition. Use cloning software: Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Both can clone the Macintosh HD to the external drive, make it bootable and at the same time preserve your data. You can then boot your MacBook Pro from the external hard drive, wipe the drive in your MacBook Pro and then clone back from the external drive to your MacBook Pro and you'll be back in business. Hope you understand all the above? Carbon Copy Cloner has a full 30 day trial and is the software I recommend to use since it also preserves the recovery partition during the cloning process.

LOL, I just read your reply. Anyway, keep these instructions just in case.

Thread Information