Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Exclamation I need snow leopard back!! Help if possible
    First let me start by saying I am new to forums in general, but I have always used them as references in the past. I recently purchased an iMac 21.5", Mid 2010, 3.2 intel Core i3, that came installed with El Capitan. I've been working off of my Macbook Pro, running snow Leopard, and was looking to use time machine to transfer everything to the new iMac once I've installed SL onto it. I have spoken to Apple about this, but the rep said he couldn't legally tell me how to downgrade to snow leopard, the best he could to is say try googling it. I have spent an entire weekend trying different ways to completely remove El Captian on boot from the disc, or from an installer drive which I created from the Macbook, but no such luck. There isn't any information that I need on the iMac so I have erased the drive twice now, and partitioned it, hoping to at least be able to install Snow Leopard on the partition. I will continue trying options as I find them, and I'll update as I go if anyone else is looking to do the same.
    There main reason for me wanting to use SL is because of the versions of Logic,Pro Tools, Final Cut and several plug-ins that aren't compatible with El Capitan. If anyone has any ideas please help me out. I don't have the means of purchases all new software, and I have several project that I am behind on.

I need snow leopard back!! Help if possible
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    You need to purchase a Snow Leopard install DVD from Apple (about $19).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I have the installation DVD, but it is not recognized at all. While trying to boot using OPT or CMD+R it will not let me install Snow Leopard.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Donlygift View Post
    I have the installation DVD, but it is not recognized at all. While trying to boot using OPT or CMD+R it will not let me install Snow Leopard.
    I hope that it's not a gray-colored disk…because it will not work. If you have the correct Snow Leopard DVD…it is white & has a photo of a Snow Leopard on it.

FYI. command + r does not work with OS 10.6 and below…only 10.7 & above. To boot from an Apple OS install DVD you press the "c" key after the startup chime (assuming you have the correct disk…and the optical drive is working properly).

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, OS X.15.4,.
    As Nick advises get the retail version and pop in the DVD, boot and simply hold down 'C'. Betcha that Snow Leopard DVD came from the MBP and they are NOT useable with ay other machine.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

The DVD is White with the picture of the snow leopard on it, I'll try it again while holding "C". Fingers crossed......

Yes.. I remember doing this before taking the steps of erasing and partitioning. With the White DVD in the drive, holding down the "C" key after the startup chime, and waiting for the small loading icon to appear under the apple logo.... it never does. I originally called apple about this, and that's when they recommended the CMD+R, then OPT+CMD+R, which didn't work either...... Currently the iMac screen is grey with apple logo...

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Donlygift View Post
    I originally called apple about this, and that's when they recommended the CMD+R, then OPT+CMD+R, which didn't work either......
    This could be because if the Apple folks you are talking to have worked for Apple less than 5 years…they may not know anything of how OS versions before 10.7 operate. 10.7 was released in 2011. 10.6 (Snow Leopard) released 2009. The command + r stuff only works with 10.7 and later.

Regarding the trouble with the Snow Leopard DVD you have. Does it say 10.6.3 in it anywhere? If so…here may be the deal. Your mid-2010 iMac shipped with a special version of 10.6.3. And if your Snow Leopard disk is 10.6.3…I think that it predates the special 10.6.3 version your iMac shipped with.

The way Mac's work is…you can't run them with an OS older than the one that they shipped with.

I forget off hand what the solution is. I will have to look into it…and post back. Unless someone beats me to it!

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    This could be because if the Apple folks you are talking to have worked for Apple less than 5 years…they may not know anything of how OS versions before 10.7 operate. 10.7 was released in 2011. 10.6 (Snow Leopard) released 2009. The command + r stuff only works with 10.7 and later.

Regarding the trouble with the Snow Leopard DVD you have. Does it say 10.6.3 in it anywhere? If so…here may be the deal. Your mid-2010 iMac shipped with a special version of 10.6.3. And if your Snow Leopard disk is 10.6.3…I think that it predates the special 10.6.3 version your iMac shipped with.

The way Mac's work is…you can't run them with an OS older than the one that they shipped with.

I forget off hand what the solution is. I will have to look into it…and post back. Unless someone beats me to it!

- Nick
    The iMac came with El Capitan installed on it, but I have the Snow Leopard DVD from my MBP that was purchased late 2008. It does have version 10.6 ... The apple guys saw the iMac originally had Snow Leopard on it and should be able to revert back, however it clearly does not... I greatly appreciate the help guys

I do have an 800 firewire, once the drive is completely erase would I need to use my MBP to install 10.6 on the iMac?.... If so that is not a problem. Thanks for the help.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    That is not always true. I have a late 2011 MBP that was running Snow Leopard when I received it. I purchased it used (obviously) off ebay in June 2012. It was running Snow Leopard when I got it, but I didn't need it, so I immediately put Lion back on it.
    If it was running 10.6 when you got it…that's a pretty rare thing…since as you know…Late 2011 MBP's shipped with 10.7.2. I wonder if the previous owner did some sort of "tricks" to get 10.6 on it.

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Once you erase the iMac disk, you can disconnect them and then proceed with installing Snow Leopard.
    I'll give that a try now and let you know how it goes.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade Drive, OS X.15.4,.
    That model came with one of two options, OS X.6.3 or OS X.6.4 so you would need the correct version to install Snow Leopard. Serial of the OS X.6.3 commenced with 10D and the later OS X.6.4 with 10F
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    That model came with one of two options, OS X.6.3 or OS X.6.4 so you would need the correct version to install Snow Leopard. Serial of the OS X.6.3 commenced with 10D and the later OS X.6.4 with 10F
    I also have 10.6.3... I erased the drive last night, but the White DVD didn't load, I will try again it with the 10.6.3 DVD this morning. Thanks

Oh by the way, should the drive have been Zero'd when erased?

Thread Information