upgrading to mavericks or above.
    Hello all,
    I have an imac 5,1 with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and 4MB in my L2 cache.
    What would I have to get done to my beloved to upgrade her to a more up to date OSX version?
    p.s. I work it beautifully, I don't fiddle with it exceot to add more mmory once so I really need some easy advice!
    Thanks if anyone can help.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    You didn't tell us what OS version is installed on your iMac currently. The short answer is there's nothing you need to do to upgrade to Mavericks or above…since your iMac's maximum OS version is 10.7.5 (Mavericks is 10.9).

So depending what OS is installed currently. 10.7.5 is the max.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    You didn't tell us what OS version is installed on your iMac currently. The short answer is there's nothing you need to do to upgrade to Mavericks or above…since your iMac's maximum OS version is 10.7.5 (Mavericks is 10.9).

So depending what OS is installed currently. 10.7.5 is the max.

- Nick
    sorry-I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by steveq7 View Post
    ...I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6
    Then you can upgrade to 10.7.5...max.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    No great improvement to Lion OS X.7 and both have ben culled by Apple with no further secutiry or general updates. Also any older applications which are PowerPC architecture will not run on Lion so I would stay where you are until you get a later model.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    What is the primary thing driving your desire to upgrade your OS? Once we know the "why" maybe we can suggest other things that will help you out.
    As Harry said, 10.6 is considered superior to 10.7 and you can't go to 10.8, so you're kind of stuck there with that hardware. (10.8 was released soon after 10.7 to fix the many problems it had)

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Hello all,
    I have an imac 5,1 with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and 4MB in my L2 cache.
    What would I have to get done to my beloved to upgrade her to a more up to date OSX version?
    p.s. I work it beautifully, I don't fiddle with it exceot to add more mmory once so I really need some easy advice!
    Well, you've received great advice from some of our VERY experienced members and your OS X updating is limited and likely of little good, if done. I'm assuming that you have the computer below (or a similar version) - i.e. a computer approaching 10 years of age (I usually replace my computers @ 4-5 years) - you own a 'dog' that is 100 years old at the moment. As you asked above (in bold), the 'easy advice' is for you to think of investing in a new computer - but just my opinion. Dave

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 12.37.29 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

sorry-I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6

If it's doing everything you want to do I'd just stay where you are. Still one of the best OS X versions Apple released IMHO.

And Apple is still supplying and updating the Xprotect files for SL OS X 10.6.8 users for some web protection.

Just make sure you have a current backup if you have any data/files you want to keep.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    If it's doing everything you want to do I'd just stay where you are. Still one of the best OS X versions Apple released IMHO.

And Apple is still supplying and updating the Xprotect files for SL OS X 10.6.8 users for some web protection.

Just make sure you have a current backup if you have any data/files you want to keep.
    Hi Patrick - I agree completely as long as the computer serves the user's needs and the old apps (or new ones) remain compatible and provide the features needed. I have no OS X experience before 10.8, i.e. Mountain Lion, so cannot comment.

BUT, I agree completely w/ your last statement - if that nearly 10 y/o computer has the original HD (may have been replaced - don't know?), then redundant backups are crucial because its sudden failure may be imminent - below another graft from Backblase, the data storage company that's been studying this issue. Dave
    Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 10.52.16 AM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

A backup is mandatory IMHO if there is any data/files worth keeping on any computer or device.

My later 2007 24" iMac7,1 hard drive just up and died with a big clunk noise followed with the sound of a ricocheting bullet in the middle of an afternoon and no warning at all several years ago now, and the iMac just went black and silent. i.e.: DEAD!!! So the OP's HDD is certainly well past its prime if it's the original drive.

PS: Thanks for the drive graph(s) and links.

Thread Information