Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Question El Capitan - Shut Down
    Since I installed El Capitan, my Mac frequently refuses to shut dow. It starts shutting down, then automatically reboots with the message "you have shut down because of a problem.....". Never had that before.

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Try disabling FileVault: System preferences > Security and privacy > FileVault.

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    How very odd so many posts lately folks using FileVault. Must be a lot of KGB spies about. Very dangerous software FileVault for the unwary.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

chas_m
    ^^^^^ What Harry said!

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    How very odd so many posts lately folks using FileVault. Must be a lot of KGB spies about. Very dangerous software FileVault for the unwary.
    My new machine came with it switched on by default.

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @badshoehabit,

You are not the first person to say that their new Mac arrived with File Vault switched on. I presume brand new.

I find this very hard to understand.

I am not disbelieving you; just can't comprehend why Apple (by implication) would ever do such a thing on a brand new Mac. Now, I can see how a user who had previously used File Vault on another Mac, backed up to Time Machine and then restored the new Mac from Time Machine could experience this.

I could maybe understand someone buying a Mac second-hand which had not been properly set up for sale having this issue.

Anyway, I agree with my colleagues that File Vault is a dodgy thing to mess with; but I scare easily! Like, I never use Terminal (my incompetence, nothing wrong with it).

Ian
    Ian

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    Had never heard of FileVault before the new Mac in September. I did transfer my data from TM but had never had any such issues with the old machine. The 'genius' at the Apple store knew straight away what was awry. Wonder why it is available, especially as it causes known problems?

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
    I recently did a complete reinstall of El Capitan from my recovery partition and the choice to use FileVault was selected by default (I deselected it).

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Stan View Post
    I recently did a complete reinstall of El Capitan from my recovery partition and the choice to use FileVault was selected by default (I deselected it).
    This is another "Nanny" Apple thing. We know what's best for you!

chas_m
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    @badshoehabit,

You are not the first person to say that their new Mac arrived with File Vault switched on. I presume brand new.

I find this very hard to understand.
    You're right, and that's because what badshoehabit said is not completely true.

I set up new machines all the time, what actually happens is that you get an *offer* to turn on Filevault during setup, and that turning it on *and* allowing the use of iCloud to rescue you if you forget the password (a new wrinkle) are both checked. This has been the case since Yosemite.

Anyway, bottom line is that it's only "on by default" if you just click through unquestioningly (which, sadly, a lot of people do). It still requires user consent -- the Mac HD is not encrypted out of the factory.

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I just installed El Cap on my used (but new to me MBP 13" and got what Chas posted above. I said no to it all!

chas_m
    I accept Apple's promise that Filevault 2 (Electric Boogaloo) is much better than FV 1, and I'm glad that they now have a way to recover the password, but I still say it's well overkill for typical users. If you need it, you know why you need it, and that's the end of that.

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    You're probably right, I most likely did accept, thinking that it was to my benefit. Famous last words!

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
    I just setup a 2015 Macbook Pro on 12/19. Previous mbp was a mid 2012 and find several things are different. I did find that during setup, turning Firevault on was a choice and I chose not to. The default is here to choose Fire Vault on and use your icloud password as your Admin password so thats probably where the confusion comes from that firevault is already turned on by default. Later I realized I had to change my Admin password from my icloud password to something I selected tho. In my case, I am the only person that ever touches my computer. It seemed I was being asked to put my password in constantly, did not like that and I was blocked from selected Automatic Login under my Admin Account when my icloud password was used.

El Capitan - Shut Down
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Whenever FileVault is turned on, you can not bypass the login password as the system will dissallow it. And of course, that makes good sense.

Thread Information