Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

MacBookPro shutdown and sleep problems
    My MacBookPro (Retina 15-inch Mid 2014) 2.2GHz i7 has difficulties with shutting down and waking from sleep. It's been like this from new. It came with Yosemite installed and has all available updates. It's now 10.10.5.

I find I can only shut down ok if I log out first. If I don't log out it will often just hang.

If I allow it to go to sleep for long periods (and sometimes even short periods) it may refuse to wake up. I have to hold down the power button to force it to shut down, then press again to start. I hate having to do this!

Help!

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
    What programs do you have running when you shut down? I have had this problem in the past when I shut down while still logged in to Remote Desktop.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Welcome to these forums DavidMWright, When you say it came with Yosemite installed did you buy it brand new out of the box? If so then I would start by running Disk Utility (in the Utilities Folder inside Applications Folder). I always say it's best to have a complete backup before Repairing Permissions but I cannot remember it ever causing a problem, so I would start with that. If you do not have a backup run Verify Disk and if no problems found you can quit. If problems are found I suggest you have a backup befor running Repair Disk.
    If all is well with the HD (Disk) then have a look under Users and Groups in System Preferences and check what Login items you have running. These are apps/extensions that start when you login and run ostensibly in the background but may slow shutdown or sleep (Dropbox is a good one for this). I dont have many login items and I quit Dropbox unless I'm actually using it.
    If it is an application causing your problem you can try closing all apps then open Activity Monitor and see what else is running under CPU and Network tabs.
    Let us know what you find. I am puzzled that it has had this problem since brand new, assuming you have no joy with the above I would be taking it back to point of sale while it's still under warrenty.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Stan View Post
    What programs do you have running when you shut down? I have had this problem in the past when I shut down while still logged in to Remote Desktop.
    Typically Thunderbird, Firefox, Neo Office. Not Remote Desktop! However it's even happened when I've closed all programs.

I did indeed buy it out of the box. It's an SD drive so I hadn't thought to use disk utility - not quite sure why though! There was one login item - Tom Tom - which I've now disabled. I'll see how I get on and report back.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidMWright View Post
    My MacBookPro (Retina 15-inch Mid 2014) 2.2GHz i7 has difficulties with shutting down and waking from sleep. It's been like this from new.
    Just in case this should be a hardware problem…does your MacBook Pro still have remaining Applecare?

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

I didn't purchase Apple Care, but since I bought it in Feb 2015 it's still within the 1-year warranty period (UK).

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidMWright View Post
    I didn't purchase Apple Care, but since I bought it in Feb 2015 it's still within the 1-year warranty period (UK).
    Sounds good. When you mentioned that it was a mid-2014 model. I thought maybe you also purchased it in mid-2014…and thus with 12 months of Applecare…Applecare would have expired in mid-2015.

Hopefully things can be resolved soon. Otherwise…be sure to use that Applecare before it runs out.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information