Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

How to Connect and Transfer Music from imac 5.1 to ipod Nano Gen.7 2012
    When I plug my iPod Nano (Gen. 7-2012) directly into my imac 5.1 (with 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor) with Snow Leopard, I get the following error message: "The iPod cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes" When I go to ITunes updates, it says I have the latest version already. I have iTunes 11.4 v18. Then, when I try to sync (I think that's the correct term) my imac with my nano, I see the following In Bluetooth in Preferences: Paired: Yes, Configured: Yes, Connected: No. Bluetooth is checked on and Discoverable is also checked on. In my network FireWire is not connected In the iPod I clicked Bluetooth On and then the iPod is searching for devices but does not find my imac. I do not know what else to do so I transfer music files my computer to my ipod Nano. Please help!!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    That's what happens when you fall behind in updating OS X. You have the latest version of iTunes for Snow Leopard, but your Nano needs at least iTunes 12 to sync and iTunes 12 is not available for Snow Leopard. So, simply put, either update your version of OS X, or use an older Nano (if you have one) that will work with iTunes 11.4.

I don't appreciate your attitude. Some of us do not have the money to "keep up" with everything Apple decides to keep putting out (do not even have the money for a used or refurbished mac) so I stick with what I have. I am fortunate that my imac has worked for so long, I do not believe in throwing out hardware that works just to get the "latest" computer.

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    It's not an attitude - those are the facts - we don't work for Apple and don't make the rules...

The iPod Nano v7 of 2012 requires OS X 10.7.5 and iTunes 12.2 minimum if you want to use iTunes to sync it - that's not my attitude - that's the fact. Apple did that - link - not us.

You can purchase OS X 10.7 from Apple for $20 - here - then you'll have to see if you can find a downloadable copy of iTunes 12.2 that will work with 10.7.

Or you can look for one of the apps out there that permits you to connect an iPod like any other external drive and transfer data across to it manually using Finder - if you can find a version that still works with 10.6.8.

Burying our head in the sand does not keep today's hardware and software from it's path onward. It is still today as it has been since we've been able to bring a computer into our homes - we have to take the responsibility for making sure that what we buy will work with what we have. And oftentimes, buying that new piece of software or hardware may require we update some other piece of hardware or software to use it.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @eschwartz

I can promise you, there is no intention to insult, shame or embarrass our members & visitors.

I think many of us have, now or in the past, been on a tight budget and that forces us to prioritise. Understood.

If you try to see your electronic acquisitions as a "system", then what we have here is that one part of the system is current, whilst another part (your Mac) is 5 versions behind the latest. This leads to the incompatibility that you've experienced. No manufacturer, Apple included, can progress with new products (Mac OS in this case) that is backwards compatible ad infinitum. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.

No offence.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    I don't have an iPod..
    If you put it in Disk mode, can you drag and drop files into it?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201544

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Nice find, gsahli. I hope it connects to 10.6.8. If it is recognised, perhaps @eschwartz can let us know. We can take it from there.

Ian
    Ian

chas_m
    Also, software updates (both major and minor) to OS X (and iTunes) etcetera are and have been free of charge for many years now. So I'm afraid the "poverty defense" for not keeping up with releases doesn't really fly.

MacInWin
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Also, software updates (both major and minor) to OS X (and iTunes) etcetera are and have been free of charge for many years now. So I'm afraid the "poverty defense" for not keeping up with releases doesn't really fly.
    Well, going from SL to Lion will cost $20US, but then after that it's all free. So maybe the "poverty defense" still applies???

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Well, going from SL to Lion will cost $20US, but then after that it's all free. So maybe the "poverty defense" still applies???
    Not hardly, since an iPod 7th generation (2012) model 8 GB was $149.00 with the 16 GB model $169.00. Sorry, the poverty defense doesn't fly here....

Thread Information