Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Technologically Inept Mac Owner Seeks Guidance On Long Overdue Update to a 10.5.8
    Background: I rebelliously refused to update my Mac for years, out of an ununderstanding of why I needed to and an overall disdain for change. This has, as you, doubtless, know, been causing some issues … and an increasing amount of them too. Where the difference is felt most is on the Internet: because my operating system isn't up to date neither are my browsers (Safari: 5.0.3; Firefox: 16.0.2) and more and more do I see advice to the effect of "Your browser is deprecated. Please Upgrade." I can only expect this trend to continue until eventually the most basic and necessary features (e.g., email?) no longer work.

Initial questions:

1. Am I able to update, say, Firefox before—or without ever—updating from 10.5.8? I go to Firefox's site and its latest (and apparently only available) version definitely isn't going to be compatible, but is there some other place from which to download one later than 16.0.2?

2. If not, how do I update? What do I update to? And with what consequence?

Do I make one big jump to "OS X El Captain?" Or do I do so in steps? Or not at all? Maybe settle for a 10.6.8? Maybe I take the more conservative-seeming route of going in order: a "Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard" (this one: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC...snow-leopard)?

Another reason for which I am so laughably late (and literally laughably late because that's exactly what the guy at the genius bar did—laugh) in updating: I was—and still very much am—scared of its effect on my computer. I have important files, documents, etc. Losing all of that! The experience would be similar to—although probably not the equivalent of—losing all of your belongings in a fire. I use Time Machine to back up to an external hard drive … but how do I know that any of it's really saved when the only computer I plug the hard drive into is my own? And say I do upgrade and lose everything … what happens then? I just plug the external hard drive back in and it all magically reappears? Is that how it works? Can't be …

Some more system specs:

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

… , whatever any of that means.

Help? I feel left behind by the world. Thank you.

—Lukas

Technologically Inept Mac Owner Seeks Guidance On Long Overdue Update to a 10.5.8
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    There was some crucial system information info missing (such as what exact computer model we are dealing with). I'm going to take a stab that this is a 2.2ghz MacBook computer. Yes…Snow Leopard OS 10.6 is your next step. Then the max OS version for this computer is Lion (OS 10.7)…which is a downloadable OS version (but first Snow Leopard needs to be installed).

I would also recommend a ram upgrade to 4gig (6gig is max…but a good bit more expensive).

Consequences of this OS upgrade?? Make sure any installed apps (Apple or non-Apple based) that you depend on are compatible with OS 10.6 and/or 10.7.

- Nick

p.s. Yes…newer versions of FireFox are available (after upgrading the OS).

p.p.s. And just so it's 100% clear. No way this computer can run El Capitan. Lion 10.7 is the max for this computer…and El Capitan is FOUR versions newer.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    G'day and welcome to the forums.

Personally I would stop at Snow Leopard OS X.6.8 because, imho Lion was not much of an improvement. Mountain Lion was far better, but alas your old 'puter cannot handle it. As Snow Leopard, and now probably Lion since September, can receieve no further Security Updates be very careful using it online. Snow Leopard is available from Apple Online for $20 with postage.

And Lukas you have been left behind alas like Rip Van Winkle who slept for what was it ~ fifty years? Even with Snow Leopard OS X.6.8 you will struggle with web sites, beachballs and finding compatible programs. Time to start saving pennies for a computer upgrade.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

MacInWin
    Don't settle at 10.6.8 or you'll have the same problems as you are at 10.5. Also, somewhere in the stream (I don't remember when) Apple withdrew support for Rosetta, so any apps that you may have that need that will not be usable (there may be Intel-only upgrades, but you'll have to check and probably pay for them). And support for 10.7 is sort on the last legs, too, so it's time to start saving pennies for a new Mac.

MacInWin
    Harry, you type faster than I, but we got to the same place, saving pennies!

Your Mac's Specs
    10.6.8 last OS for Rosetta.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Thanks guys. I'll heed your advice, spend the $20, then start saving my pennies.

chas_m
    Your post implies that you don't have a good backup strategy in place, and if that is the case I would STRONGLY suggest that that is "step one" before doing ANYTHING else if these documents/etc are so valuable to you.

For most people I recommend using Time Machine, but your system is so out-of-date that it is not available to you (if I remember correctly) and none of the other software for making this easy is likely to work on your present system, so all I can suggest is that you manually copy your Home folder to an external drive (pretty simple operation ... drag and drop to the mounted external drive!). The Home folder is the repository for everything YOU have created or downloaded on the machine (except applications, but they'll ALL need updating anyway).

Without details on your system and third-party applications I'm hesitant to suggest you go beyond 10.6.8 on that machine. What you really need -- really, really need -- is a new(er) machine. If Nick is right or close to right in his guess about your Mac, it's almost nine years old now. There's no point in spending more than the $20 to upgrade it to 10.6.8 really, but I'd strongly encourage you to do at least that much and the aforementioned backup.

The upgrade to 10.6.8 will allow you to use Time Machine for more routine backups of this machine, and probably help update some of the software -- but this is still an OS that's nearly six years old, isn't updated anymore, and comes with security risks and other problems (fewer than the one you're presently running, however!). The bottom line here is that you really, really, really need a new(er) machine.

My suggestion is that you backup and then upgrade that machine to 10.6.8 -- most of your software should be compatible with it, and you can turn on Rosetta to keep any obsolete PPC software going for a while longer while you convert files and such -- but I would take that machine off the net as soon as you are able, it is simply not secure. When you get a new(er) machine, you can migrate your documents (converted, if necessary, from obsolete programs) to the new machine with relatively little pain and enjoy the advantages of the myriad improvements made in the last decade.

My favourite "old" machine is the one I'm currently using, the mid-2012 MacBook Pro. It has all the modern technologies -- USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, Bluetooth 4.0, 802.11n -- but is still an easily-upgradable machine. I've maxed out the RAM and replaced the drives with SSDs and it keeps up nicely with many brand new Macs except in the area of high-end graphics. You can probably find one well south of $1,000, but of course you might also consider something refurbished from Apple that comes with a warranty, or just treat yourself to something brand new if you can. You certainly got your money's worth out of that one!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Kubicek View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll heed your advice, spend the $20, then start saving my pennies.
    Upgrade to Snow Leopard for the $20 bucks…and see how it goes (take it one step at a time). I would strongly recommend thinking about the 4gig ram upgrade. But Snow Leopard can survive on 2gig.

- Nick

chas_m
    See, while I was typing that mini-novel everyone else came to the same conclusions! Doh!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    See, while I was typing that mini-novel everyone else came to the same conclusions! Doh!
    I bet we can guess what the gist of the message was...

Old = Bad!

- Nick

chas_m
    Yeah, for starters once Lukas gets a newer machine, he can do things like use an iPhone! Or any recent printer!

(My brother recently found the LAST printer at his local shop that still listed 10.6.8 compatibility ... he's stuck on that until he replaces his present machine ... so they still exist but are getting scarce ...)

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Your post implies that you don't have a good backup strategy in place, and if that is the case I would STRONGLY suggest that that is "step one" before doing ANYTHING else if these documents/etc are so valuable to you.

For most people I recommend using Time Machine, but your system is so out-of-date that it is not available to you (if I remember correctly)
    No. the OP should have Time Machine. It was introduced with Leopard. I think it was in 10.5.0 but was certainly there by 10.5.8. AFAIK modern incarnations of Time Machine can read those files as long as the hard drive on which they are stored is intact. In fact if I read the initial post correctly Lukas is using Time Machine.
    Last edited by Slydude; 12-04-2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Correction
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Sly is 100% correct. Time Machine came with Leopard. He can back up with Time Machine before he does the upgrade to Snow Leopard.

BTW I have no issues on my older Mini with web sites using 10.6.8.

chas_m
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Sly is 100% correct. Time Machine came with Leopard. He can back up with Time Machine before he does the upgrade to Snow Leopard.
    Great! Happy to be wrong about when Time Machine was introduced. VERY glad to hear that Lukas is using it.

BTW I have no issues on my older Mini with web sites using 10.6.8.
    That probably means you've disabled Flash and Java and have given up on things like viewing HD video on websites and such. I didn't say it was impossible to use the web/internet on 10.6.8 -- I said it was increasingly unsafe.

Thread Information