Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cannot access recovery mode...
    Your Mac's Specs
    Macbook Pro 17" Processor... 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory... 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Hi, I cannot access recovery mode to repair my startup disk as per CleanMyMac 3's suggestions.

I have attached my specifications for you to view.

I install updates immediately and I have used CleanMyMac every couple of days for a very long time now and have just used it to follow a regular maintenance check and have been told to repair my startup disk.

My issue is that I have shut it down completely and even removed the power chord.

I hold the cmd and R keys and then touch the power button. Within about 5 seconds I get a light grey screen and a large padlock symbol with space below for a password which won't accept my logging on password.

So I touch the power button which shuts it down immediately.

If I repeat this only holding the alt key, I get the same padlock no access issue.

If I also repeat this again holding the alt and R keys, it just boots into normal start up mode with everything showing as if I had not held the alt and R keys down.

If I checkout Disk Utility's First Aid, It says Operation successful.

I installed El Capitan as soon as it came out and have never had any issues with it and have 10.11.1 installed.

I also replaced my hard drive about 6 months ago and everything been working fine and my system is continuously being backed up using Time Capsule if this will help to resolve repairing my startup disk.

Can you please tell me how I repair my startup disk.

Kind regards and many thanks,

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do you remember when our parents said "don't touch that" well we still don't listen do we

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    First - no one here would touch CleanMyMac with a ten foot pole. It isn't needed on a Mac, and is often harmful - but I don't "think" it caused your issue.
    I think you have set a firmware password, but -
    Let's see if you still have a Recovery Partition. open the Terminal Utility and type:
    diskutil list (& return)

About Firmware password:
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/01/06/set-f...-password-mac/

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 5c iOS 10.3.2, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmunchkin View Post
    Hi, I cannot access recovery mode to repair my startup disk as per CleanMyMac 3's suggestions.

[...]

If I also repeat this again holding the alt and R keys, it just boots into normal start up mode with everything showing as if I had not held the alt and R keys down.

[...]
    I may misinterpret. Are you saying the mac is able to boot normally on the internal HD ? Please confirm. That would be great new.

If that is so, one way to go would be for you to create a bootable thumb drive (say 8 to 16 MB) with OS 10.11.1 and all disk utilities you may dream of on it. The various processes to do that would be easy to suggest to you.
    -- Michelangelo
    https://www.abeille-cyclotourisme.fr/
    MacBookPro, iMac, iPhone 5c, iPad mini, AirPort Time Capsule (1st Generation), AirPort extreme (3rd generation), Apple TV (1st generation)

Your Mac's Specs
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Hi,

I'm having a similiar sort of problem. I hold down the Option key, and it brings up the Recovery (10.9) option - but when I click on it, the thing under the Apple logo just spins and the Mac just turns off. I've created a USB recovery disk (Lion) using Recovery Assistant, but it just does the same thing when I try to boot to that.

I'm trying to install a new SSD on my Mac, and at the moment I'm currently in the process of cloning the whole thing which will take all day.

Any idea why I can't boot into the recovery partition or USB drive I made?

My Mac is a Late 2011 13" Macbook Pro, running OSX 10.9.5.

I perfored the Disk util command in the Terminal, and it came back with the following:

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 499.2 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

Your Mac's Specs
    Macbook Pro 17" Processor... 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory... 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    [QUOTE=gsahli;1686331]Let's see if you still have a Recovery Partition. open the Terminal Utility and type:
    diskutil list (& return)

Sorry, where do I access/find Terminal Utility, I am typing it into spotlight but getting no help, is this the same as Disk Utility
    Do you remember when our parents said "don't touch that" well we still don't listen do we

Your Mac's Specs
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    You should be able to find it by typing 'Terminal' into Spotlight... that's how I just found it.
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by michelangelo View Post
    I may misinterpret. Are you saying the mac is able to boot normally on the internal HD ? Please confirm. That would be great new.

If that is so, one way to go would be for you to create a bootable thumb drive (say 8 to 16 MB) with OS 10.11.1 and all disk utilities you may dream of on it. The various processes to do that would be easy to suggest to you.
    Sorry, I've never used a bootable thumb drive (is this a USB stick, if so I do have one but don't know how to put OS 10.11.1 on it

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
    You should be able to find it by typing 'Terminal' into Spotlight... that's how I just found it.

Thankyou, I have found it.

Your Mac's Specs
    [QUOTE=gsahli;1686331]Let's see if you still have a Recovery Partition. open the Terminal Utility and type:
    diskutil list (& return)

It shows this...

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 249.1 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
    Macintosh-4:~ Terry$

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    When you're told to hold keys for a startup option (command-r or option key for example), press and hold immediately After hearing the gong sound. Try that.

Either you set the Firmware password, or the folks that replaced the hard drive? A Firmware password is setup independently from login password. Do you remember doing it?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    When you're told to hold keys for a startup option (command-r or option key for example), press and hold immediately After hearing the gong sound. Try that.

Either you set the Firmware password, or the folks that replaced the hard drive? A Firmware password is setup independently from login password. Do you remember doing it?
    I just tried after immediately hearing the gong sound, but still got the padlock icon with no access.

Also "I" replaced the hard drive but cannot remember anything about A Firmware password.

Maybe I should try all of the passwords that I think I would of used and then let you know how I get on.

Is that padlock icon the Firmware password then?

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    Yes, the padlock means it needs the Firmware password.

Your Mac's Specs
    Ok, thanks very much for your help and patience, I will log out and go scratch my brain and will let you know how I get on.

If I cannot access the firmware, do I backup and install another new hardware?

MacInWin
    Booting with CMD+R requires that you HOLD the CMD and R keys for quite a while until it boots. What it sounds like to me is that you are just tapping them, not holding them. When you just tap, it boots normally, leading to the padlock. If you HOLD it down, you should be able to boot to the Recovery system and from there turn the Firmware password off using the Firmware Password Utility in the Utilities top bar menu item.

Your Mac's Specs
    GOT THERE! Thanks millions for all your time and patience.

I tried several passwords from the past and my jaw dropped when I entered the correct one and it let me in.

I have repaired the hard drive now thanks to you.

Once again, thanks millions... you saved me a tonne of grief

Thread Information