Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Apple Mail Goes Wonky in El Capitan: Won't delete messages; loads my mail history
    Since I upgraded to El Capitan, my Apple Mail is doing two very strange things:

1) It has loaded every bit of past mail that I have into my Inbox. So now, instead of a manageable amount of mail there, and the rest put into organized folders, I have 46k+ messages clogging things up. It seems to have something to do with my Gmail account (I manage several email accounts in Apple Mail). The people at the Genius Bar had no idea other than acknowledging an Apple/Google fight. But this happened only when I installed El Capitan, so chasing my Gmail settings hasnít helped - this seems like an Apple problem.

2) It has started to not let me delete certain messages. Thereís no pattern, but when I try to delete some emails, the messages stay there, though they turn from a solid black to gray font, as though they know theyíve been marked for something, but arenít going anywhere.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Apple Mail Goes Wonky in El Capitan: Won't delete messages; loads my mail history
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    As has been reported, Google (the owners of gmail) are converting accounts to IMAP. You didn't mention which type account you had but it's possible all your mail is showing up in your inbox but actually resides on the server.

Thanks much. Right now Gmail is running as a POP account - would changing it to IMAP be better or worse?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Are you sure your gmail account is still running as POP? It sounds as if it may have been converted to IMAP which would also leave your POP account intact. Otherwise all those email messages would not appear in your inbox.

Thread Information