Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mac OS X El Capitan Public Beta Installation Error
    Hi, I’m trying to install “Mac OS X El Capitan Public Beta” over my Yosemite but I got stuck with the following error…

“A mismatch between the MBR and GPT partition maps is not supported with this operation. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.”

MacBook Pro Mid-2010
    2 Partitions
    P1 = “My Hard Disk” (Mac OS X)
    P2 = “Bootcamp” (Bootcamp – Windows 7)

Now, I can’t boot into my Yosemite again, always got stuck at El Capitan installation error page but I’m still able to boot into Windows 7 and the whole windows system working normally and I’m able to access back to my os x partition and my files in the os x partition.

Anyone could help me here?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

Hi, I’m trying to install “Mac OS X El Capitan Public Beta” over my Yosemite but I got stuck with the following error…
    Why would you want to install the public beta "over" Yosemite? If you wish to run a public beta, at least create another partition on your hard drive and install the beta that way. Or, a separate USB hard drive for the beta.

Did you make a cloned backup of Yosemite before installing the beta? Or a Time Machine backup? If you did, revert back to Yosemite and keep your fingers crossed that Windows 7 will still boot.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Chscag it almost sounds like there are issues with the GPT Partition caused by the Windows partition. Seen that a few times and only cure I found in some cases was to zap it all and repartition or at least zap the Windows partition and drag the OS X one so it's one partition again.

To the OP, do you have a Time Machine backup of your Yosemite install?

Agree with Charles, never put a beta over a working stable install of OS X.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I guess this is going to be an annual event now... hordes of clueless users who have no business running a beta version of OS X but did so anyway and ignored all the precautionary advice given in advance.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

chas_m
    Yep. Loads of people who are going to install this VERY VERY issue-laden and problematic EARLY BETA on their primary machine or partition, likely without a bootable backup, and will discover very quickly that "playing" with beta software SUCKS. These betas are for people who are serious about testing, reporting, and helping fix a complex operating system ... not people who just want to take a peek at the forthcoming OS version. This beta in particular has **big issues** that are not yet worked out (and this goes double for the iOS 9 beta!). Strongly NOT recommended for punters.
    Last edited by dtravis7; 07-11-2015 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Morons

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Chas, do NOT call people names please. This is a warning. you can warn people without that.

chas_m
    Who am I calling a name? "People" who aren't here and haven't done that? If there's a rule about that dealing specifically with non-members, I'd sure like to see it. Citation?

Your Mac's Specs
    The OP did what you said.

Also besides that MacMN article, what are all these BAD bugs you keep talking about? Windows 10 Beta had no sound for months and many other issues.

chas_m
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    The OP did what you said.
    Well, neither of us have any idea if he didn't do a backup (bootable or otherwise), and neither of us know his intentions in installing it, and I wasn't referring specifically to him, but I can see where he might think I was, so I apologize if he got that impression.

Also besides that MacMN article, what are all these BAD bugs you keep talking about? Windows 10 Beta had no sound for months and many other issues.
    (bear in mind that I, not having a spare machine or partition I can devote to testing El Capitan, have not personally installed it) Well, for starters, until the supplemental patch was issued yesterday to clear up the issue, any 32-bit app (ie any app you have that is more than a few years old) would crash or not start up. I'd call that a pretty bad bug -- and a clear sign that Apple will eventually not support 32-bit-only apps. El Capitan will, but the one after that? Or the one after that? Probably not. Be prepared.

Still unresolved are crashes from any apps that use Java (for example, Crashplan). The previous version of Outlook (and perhaps the new version, I don't know) doesn't work. Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't work. Little Snitch doesn't work (though I understand there's a beta for it that does).

In short, this is not a beta you want to install on a machine where you NEED key apps to work right, because there is no guarantee they will. Many, even most, generally do, but any program that relies on any part of the OS or apps where Apple has made some changes -- and that's a huge number of areas in this case -- may break.

I don't feel I am exaggerating when I say these are "bad bugs," particularly given the list of other issues that were in the story I linked to previously. This is par for the course for experience developers, but not par for the course for the casually curious user -- particularly those who choose to ignore the warnings or misunderstand the nature of beta software.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I installed the Public Beta onto an external HD yesterday. It works well in all the areas I have tested so far which is just as well because I can't login to the feedback app. It says sorry try again later.
    I notice that the 10.10.4 combi update is already available on the App Store. Doesn't it seem a bit odd that the update is available already.
    Is there a difference between the two?
    If not our OP could have just updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
    I just read somewhere that Apple released a patch for El Capitan to fix issues with 32 bit apps.

Supplemental update for El Capitan beta fixes problems with 32-bit apps

Maybe that is what the combo update is all about ? Don't know myself as I don't have the public Beta of El Capitan.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry McBie, perhaps you misunderstood. The App store already has the 10.10.4 update for Yosemite. This on the same day they release the Public Beta. I felt sure there must be a difference else why release the Beta for testing if it's already available as an update.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    Nope, it was me who misunderstood. El Capitan is OSX 10.11, not 10.10.4 Silly me, just forget I said that.

Your Mac's Specs
    iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    Nope, it was me who misunderstood. El Capitan is OSX 10.11, not 10.10.4 Silly me, just forget I said that.
    I will never forget that

You had me in doubt for a second, but only for a second.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Chas, do NOT call people names please. This is a warning. you can warn people without that.
    That was me, not chas... oh wait, you did mean chas. *whew* I better distance myself here and avoid my own ranting/venting in the future...

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information