Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Convert .eml files to mbox
    I have hundreds of .eml files that I want to convert to .mbx files. I can save each one as a text file & delete the HTML, but I don't want to do that. I tried an experiment. I changed the extension on one of them to .html & opened it in Firefox. I could still see the HTML. Most, if not all, of the .eml converters are Windows-based. One option is to download a 30-day trial version of Office 365 for Mac. Since I have a mini & a laptop, I probably could get a total of 60 days to convert all of my .eml files to .mbx files. I don't know what the export options are for Office 365. I don't even know if .mbx is an output option for Office 365. Of course, there's only 1 way to find out! I wondered about importing my .eml files into my gmail account, but that isn't possible. I read on the 'net that if one double-clicks on a an .eml file, Mail will open. It opens alright, but I have to create an account. I can create a Yahoo account, but then Mail will download my e-mails from my Yahoo account. I have a netbook with Windows XP on it, but I'm sure that .mbx isn't an output option from Outlook Express. I haven't seen any free Mac-based .eml to .mbx converters. What do you guys use to convert .eml files to .mbx files?
    Last edited by dcs.79c; 12-09-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    You can use the free Mozilla Thunderbird Mail client. See the following link and instructions.

I failed to specify that all of the e-mails are on a flash drive. All of the methods that I have tried don't have an option to import e-mails from a flash drive.

I have a netbook with Windows XP on it, but I'm pretty sure that Outlook Express doesn't have a universal e-mail format on it.

I want to save the e-mails in a universal format that is readable by Mac, Windows & Linux. Is there such a format?

The problem is that I have a Mac. I tried the Thunderbird & it doesn't have an option to import .eml files. I tried Apple Mail & it also doesn't have an option to import .eml files. The suggestions so far have been for Windows apps. I have a Mac so I need a Mac solution.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dcs.79c View Post
    The problem is that I have a Mac. I tried the Thunderbird & it doesn't have an option to import .eml files. I tried Apple Mail & it also doesn't have an option to import .eml files. The suggestions so far have been for Windows apps. I have a Mac so I need a Mac solution.
    If you have Apple Mail setup, just double click the .eml to open the original email. ...
    Open in Preview (select the file and hit the space bar). ...
    Download and rename the eml file it as .mht (or .mhtml) then open it in any modern browser. ...

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Couldn't have been too important.... since you took almost 5 years to answer on this thread.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    ah yes. Just saw that myself. Wasting time again. I do wish the board would archive ancient posts....

Here you go:

Emailchemy ($30)
    Emailchemy - Email Migration Software - Weird Kid Software

Emailchemy can convert any e-mail format into any other. Even proprietary formats. No need to have the original e-mail client installed.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Randy has provided a good solution if the files are important enough to be converted into a format that you can save. We are done this with this old thread.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information