Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    can't upgrade browser because can't upgrade mac
    My safari & firefox browsers are no longer supported. Have osx 10.6.8 & need to upgrade to osx mavericks to upgrade safari & firefox but my mac is from 2002 so mac store won't let me upgrade. I have the memory and storage requirements. My question is : how can I upgrade and what can I upgrade to?

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Japple79 View Post
    Have osx 10.6.8 & need to upgrade to osx mavericks to upgrade safari & firefox but my mac is from 2002 so mac store won't let me upgrade.
    Sorry…but this information is not accurate. No Macintosh computer from 2002 can run OS 10.6.8.

We need EXACT model info to be able to tell you what your OS upgrade options are.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

imac5,1
    intel core 2 duo
    2 GHz (processor speed)
    I processor
    2 cores
    L2 Cache: 4mb
    memory: 2.5 GB
    Bus speed: 667 MHz
    I added memory and installed snow leopard a couple of years ago. Let me know if you need other info. Thanks for your time.

Your Mac's Specs
    Good deal…that info helps a lot!

This Mac is from 2006/2007. It's max. OS is 10.7.5…and max ram is 4gig (but if 4gig is installed…only about 3gig is addressable).

You can get OS 10.7 "Lion" from here:

OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Thank you. You are right. I got receipts mixed up. My other olld mac was from 2002, this one was bought in march 2007.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Personally, I stuck with 10.6.8 because 10.7.x was quickly replaced by 10.8 since it had so many problems. I downloaded a Firefox update not too long ago. I'm not sure they aren't supporting 10.6.8 any more.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Personally, I stuck with 10.6.8 because 10.7.x was quickly replaced by 10.8 since it had so many problems.
    There was a short run (relatively) between 10.7 and 10.8 but not necessarily because of a large number of problems with 10.7. If I remember correctly Apple actually announced this short replacement cycle as a strategy during a previous keynote address. I think the target was 12 - 18 months between major point releases.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

chas_m
    Yeah, Mountain Lion coming a year after Lion had nothing to do with "problems" and everything to do with Apple moving to a yearly OS X upgrade schedule (which they announced). A new OS version has appeared every year since, alongside a new iOS version.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    But I do recall lots of complaints about Lion. To be sure, that's normal with a major upgrade, but it seemed to be more than for other releases.

Your Mac's Specs
    OP has an older iMac (2006/2007)…currently running OS 10.6.8. Lion is the max. OS for this computer. If OP wants/needs an OS upgrade…Lion is the only OS version that the OP can upgrade to.

As far as Lion being troublesome. From a reputation standpoint Lion does seem to get lower marks. But I'm not so sure that reputation is fully warranted. One of my main computers (the computer I'm on now & use probably 10 hours/day)…has been running Lion for years…and I can't remember the last time I've had a problem.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    But I do recall lots of complaints about Lion. To be sure, that's normal with a major upgrade, but it seemed to be more than for other releases.
    Not near as many as I've seen with this current upgrade cycle to Yosemite. In my opinion, Yosemite has been one of the most "glitchy" implementations of a version of OS X. Kind of reminds me when MS implemented Win95 and had to come out shortly after with Win95SE to fix all the bugs.

Your Mac's Specs
    Great point Charlie. Lion in comparison…could be an extremely stable & less troublesome OS version, compared to the frequency of complaints we seem to be seeing with newer OS versions.

Everything certainly is relative.

- Nick

MacInWin
    I don't think Yosemite is any worse than previous upgrades, but I do think that there are a LOT more users, a LOT more switchers who did the upgrade and had problems, so we see a lot more complaints. But most of them fall into the same category--WiFi (known problem), Apps that don't run (no updates), Keychain, not enough RAM, bad installs. And as I recall, most of them (not WiFi) were around with Mavericks and ML, maybe even SL. It's groundhog day...

EDIT: OH, and add in the presence of more malware (popup ads, genieo, mackeeper, etc, etc.) that new switchers tend to gravitate toward and you get the even more posts.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I've been around for many updates of OS X Jake, and this without a doubt has been the most shaky in my opinion, reminding me in many ways of some of the same shaky Windows updates I've lived through. Yes there were some bad moments in every OS X update but I can't remember this many complaints from the membership as I've seen lately.

And let me point out that our forums are not near as busy as they used to be back in the days of Leopard and Snow Leopard.

MacInWin
    And let me point out that our forums are not near as busy as they used to be back in the days of Leopard and Snow Leopard.
    I could interpret that as the vast majority of our members upgraded with no problems.

I do hear what you say, but over the time I've been a member here (2008) I've see a huge influx of new folks to OS X. We are getting more questions now prompted by ex-Windows folks who 1) install AV, 2) worry about stuff that Windows demands but OS X doesn't (disk defrag, memory use, cleaners, download helpers, etc.) and 3) "Think" in Windows terms, not in OS X terms and generally try to treat their new Mac like it was a Windows PC.

Could Apple have done better? Sure! Apple depended on Beta testers who should have caught all these problems. They even allowed a million beta downloads, probably hoping to get some feedback. I don't know whether they got it and ignored it (I think it unlikely) or that it just didn't come back to them (more likely), or that people didn't bother even testing it robustly (most likely).

The reality still is that millions of downloads went well, installed properly and work. (Mine is one of them.) We're hearing from the relatively few who didn't have that experience.

Thread Information