Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MacBook what OS can i update this laptop to
    I have a user that gave me an older MacBook. I can tell its older because instead of silver its entirely white. However how do i go about wiping this computer clean or bringing it back to factory reset and deleting all profiles etc. Also if i have to back up any files where is the default folder for documents located.

These are the specs for the computer
    Mac OS X version 10.6.8 Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by nexusxox View Post
    These are the specs for the computer
    Before the max. OS question can be answered…we need more info on the MacBook. The specs given could be 2 different models…and they are different enough that it makes a difference what the latest OS can be run on it.

Do you have any additional model info? If you knew what graphics hardware it has…that would do the trick.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    And the model number of the Mavericks upgradeable model is A1185. Model A1181 can only be updated to Lion OS X.7. if it is the latter suggest leaving it on Snow Leopard OS X.6.8.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

chas_m
    ^^^ what HarryB said. In either event you'll need to order a copy of Snow Leopard (10.6.8) from Apple on DVD for $20. For most MacBooks I'd suggest just leaving it on Snow, unless it can run Mavericks. Those are the only two OS versions I'd recommend (in part because they're both easy to obtain, with the latter being free, and because both work well within the RAM limitations of those machines).

I also have one other thing to add to this post about this computer and that is what if the person lost the admin password is there a command to wipe this computer clean and restore to factory settings

Ok so does anyone know how to install the latest OS from a USB Drive

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Others here have asked which model, Can you check and get back to us please? We need to know before telling you which OS will install on your machine.

At very least Click on the Apple in the top left corner of the screen and on About This Mac and give us all the specs shown there and any numbers.

PS, Just checked and see what others are saying. The Penryn chipset Macbook will not run Mountain Lion or Mavericks but it stuck with Lion.

The later Unibody that has the same speed CPU will run Mavericks though.

So we need more info.
    Last edited by dtravis7; 08-04-2014 at 03:07 PM.

MacBook model A1181 (the case is all white instead of silver like the newer models)

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook model A1181 (the case is all white instead of silver like the newer models)
    As Harry mentioned earlier in this thread…the A1181 MacBooks can only be upgraded to OS 10.7.5. "Latest OS" is 10.9.4…so the latest OS cannot be installed on this computer.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    That is the older one and will not run anything past 10.7.5 Lion.

Your Mac's Specs
    Just a suggestion, I would recommend Snow Leopard on that machine over Lion. Lion on most MacBooks I have tried it on with 4GB ram seems more sluggish and runs out of ram sometimes. Just a suggestion.

Is Snow Leopard free and dont you think that might be too old for some of the demanding users. Also how do you go about installing an OS from a USB key

Your Mac's Specs
    Is Snow Leopard free and dont you think that might be too old for some of the demanding users. Also how do you go about installing an OS from a USB key
    No Snow Leoapard is not free. The only free OS is Mavericks (OS 10.9...which cannot be installed on this computer).

If this computer is currently running OS 10.6...then the only OS it can be upgraded to is OS 10.7. OS 10.7 must be purchased from the Mac App Store (about $19.99).

Purchases from the Mac App Store are tied to a users Apple ID...so if you are working on this computer for someone else...it would really be best if this purchase was made using their Apple ID. If this is not possible...then you (as a computer repair person)...need to purchase an OS 10.7 (Lion) multi-user license (which is a good bit more expensive).

As far as installing from a USB stick. Please do an internet search on this. There are probably 100's of DIY websites explaining this (step by step). As a computer repair person this is really something you should know like the back of your hand.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Do as suggested. Lash out the $20 and buy Snow Leopard DVD from Apple Online.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

+!.

Just another vote to just use Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on that MacBook model.

Thread Information