Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

text edit file lost
    Hi,
    I downloaded 10.9 and was working on a large text edit file, when with several pages open I accidentally deleted it. Can anybody help me with restoring it? I had opted to have a file that accepted images. Thanks.

text edit file lost
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by piloti View Post
    Hi,
    I downloaded 10.9 and was working on a large text edit file, when with several pages open I accidentally deleted it. Can anybody help me with restoring it? I had opted to have a file that accepted images. Thanks.

Hello & welcome to the forum! Not sure how the download of Mavericks relates to your working on a text file, i.e. were you editing the file before or after the OS installation? My first assumption is that OS 10.9 was installed and then you were using TextEdit? If so, did you check the trash to see if the file is there - if not, did you have a Time Machine BU running at the time? I'll stop there for some clarification - good luck! Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave.
    I have been running Mav for about three weeks, now. Each time I go into an app, there seems to be a little tweaking to do - which is fine. But I didn't think a simple app like text edit would be an issue, so I wasn't really concentrating. Time machine is off and it's not in the trash. I was expecting to be able to click edit and restore it again, but alas... I half-noticed a slight difference between 10.6.8's text edit and that is on Mav it warns you that if you add images, it might not be compatible with some apps. I didn't catch the file ending it chose.

text edit file lost
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    If you've been using your machine after the text edit file was deleted, there's a chance that you overwrote it. If that occurred, the file is likely gone forever. What you can do to determine if the file can be undeleted is download file recovery software. It's best to download a trial copy to test with first as most file recovery software is expensive.

Data Rescue 3

Disk Drill Pro

There are other data recovery applications available in addition to the above two. Do a Google search.

Thanks chscag. I'll try one. Worth a go.
    Nice looking plane, that. Difficult to see, but is it a B25?

text edit file lost
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Difficult to see, but is it a B25?
    It's a Douglas B-26D Invader. In service from around the end of WW II until the 2nd or 3rd year of the Viet Nam war.

Cool. Looking at some of the data recovery software, right now. One or two free ones, I'll try first.
    Thx again.

Thread Information